Alli

Weekend Thread: Weekend estimates pg 38...BP 41.14....WIT 33.31

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I hope that in these trying times we can at least all unite in hating Allan Loeb. 

What is Ryan doing working with this guy? I thought Deadpool success would give him an upper hand in choosing screenplays. This is baffling

Just now, Captain Craig said:

So BP is likely to win the weekend with WiT having an incoming bottoming out that some of us saw coming.

Does that mean that Tomb Raider may be the movie to unseat BP at #1? 

I wouldn't bet on it

1 minute ago, Captain Craig said:

So BP is likely to win the weekend with WiT having an incoming bottoming out that some of us saw coming.

Sherlock Gnomes will be that movie.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

If BP dropped 45% this weekend it makes 36.5M now. I think Tomb Raider will open around 20M, which would be another 45% drop for BP to be below it. I think BP will end up with 5 weekends at #1. It will be dethroned by PACIFIC RIM!

• Like 1

My club is about to WIN :ohmygod: 

31 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

THIS is what I was talking about the other day when I asked you if you still worked in a cinema. You always say "my theater has sold X tickets for Y day". I'm glad I am not going crazy.

:hahaha: 

This is why they should hire me: I know box office trends!

27 minutes ago, baumer said:

These are predictions?

Nope; actual scores.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Assuming 41.5 (-37%) this weekend, a 40% drop gives BP 25 next weekend. Atm think that wold be an over-performance for TR. When was the last time a movie did 5 #1 weekends?

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looking at the release schedule the next few weeks, it doesn't feel like a stretch to say those "movies are dead unless they're CBMs or Star Wars" so-called "think pieces" are about to come roaring back.

Which is hilarious considering the raging success of Jumanji, The Greatest Showman and even Peter Rabbit on a smaller scale, but I believe they will, indeed. One can only hope that Tomb Raider/RPO/Rampage do well enough to stop them from happening.

• Like 1

WiT is sitting 5% ahead of BP on MT right now. I don't buy it's only doing low 30's for the weekend, unless BP is about to have a massive drop to mid 20's this weekend. Previews can be wildly inconsistent for family films and often misleading, to the extent that sometimes studios don't even bother with them. Just recently Peter Rabbit for example didn't have previews. A comparable preview gross to WiT from this same time last year would be The Boss Baby at $1.5m, which went on to do $50m for the weekend. I'm still putting WiT in the 40-50m range. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looking at the release schedule the next few weeks, it doesn't feel like a stretch to say those "movies are dead unless they're CBMs or Star Wars" so-called "think pieces" are about to come roaring back.

eh, more like all the studios decided to group all their bombs together and stick them in a dead month so they can't harm their prestige franchise movies

Damn Entertainment Studios, that's quite the range!

There’s another mid-budget guy action pic in the marketplace, a genre that’s been overpopulated with such titles as Den of Thieves, The Commuter and Death Wish, and that’s Entertainment Studios’ The Hurricane Heist starring True Blood‘s Ryan Kwanten. Pic is expected to earn between $2M-$7M at 2,400 locations. Critics aren’t fans of the pic at 22% Rotten.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

WiT is sitting 5% ahead of BP on MT right now. I don't buy it's only doing low 30's for the weekend, unless BP is about to have a massive drop to mid 20's this weekend. Previews can be wildly inconsistent for family films and often misleading, to the extent that sometimes studios don't even bother with them. Just recently Peter Rabbit for example didn't have previews. A comparable preview gross to WiT from this same time last year would be The Boss Baby at $1.5m, which went on to do $50m for the weekend. I'm still putting WiT in the 40-50m range. 

This is not going to have a Boss Baby-esque weekend multiplier. Come on, you're just reaching in hopes that it'll be the breakout you thought it would be (but won't).

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

My club is about to WIN :ohmygod: 

:hahaha: 

This is why they should hire me: I know box office trends!

Nope; actual scores.

And then some. I can easily see it top Tomb Raider next weekend.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This is not going to have a Boss Baby-esque weekend multiplier. Come on, you're just reaching in hopes that it'll be the breakout you thought it would be (but won't).

Some of you are reaching to jump on the preview numbers and call it a flop while conveniently ignoring the dozens upon dozens of family films that have opened to paltry previews and had big 40m+ OWs. The MT performance should lock it to beat BP this weekend, or else it's performing wildly inconsistent with other family films on the site. My OW range for WiT hasn't changed in weeks, and it still looks likely to hit that mark to me. I stopped calling for a 200+ breakout a long time ago already. It's not going to be the sub 100m flop some of you are so desperately hoping for though. 

• Like 5