Alli

Weekend Thread: Weekend estimates pg 38...BP 41.14....WIT 33.31

39 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

At least with Black Panther making bank, no one can blame AWITs underperformance on diversity.

I love how when critics recommended TLJ and BP my facebook groups were full of alt right and MRA sympathizers claiming the critics were part of a SJW conspiracy but AWIT gets a rotten tomato and the focus magically shifts to how much Oprah sucks.

The conspiracy theory isn't even addressed. 

• Like 11

A Wrinkle in Time looks like utter trash, glad that it has failed.

Until Disney can stop making everything such manufactured CGI-fests, this trend will continue with their "original" movies.

Is Beauty and the Beast going to get a sequel? Belle's Magical Castle remake or some other shitty story only Disney could cook up.

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I love how when critics recommended TLJ and BP my facebook groups were full of alt right and MRA sympathizers claiming the critics were part of a SJW conspiracy but AWIT gets a rotten tomato and the focus magically shifts to how much Oprah sucks.

The conspiracy theory isn't even addressed. 

:blink:

• ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Movies about cannabis or obvious stoner movies, flop.

Low key stoner movies (Dr Strange, Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, Deadpool, Finding Dory, Zootopia, etc) do pretty good. :ph34r:

But then again, isn't AWIT a low key stoner movie. :kitschjob:

Great movies normally get great box office (The Dark Knight), but can also get poor box office (Blade Runner 2049).

Shitty movies normally get poor box office (The Dark Tower), but can also get great success (Suicide Squad). How high the diversity-level is has really nothing to do with this, except for a few movies (like BP, Wonder Woman who both were something really new in their own right.)

At the end of the day, things like reception and reviews, calendar dates and real-life events all play into this. But maybe the most important thing atleast for a great opening is marketing and hype. Not only hype among core fans, but the GA as well.

Black Panther was massively anticipated not only by comic book or Marvel Fans, but generally among TONS of "normal" people, especially those with darker skin color. Blade Runner 2049 had massive hype among fans of the original and filmlovers, but the GA...just didnt care. The Hype for another Blade Runner movie didnt struck them in any way.

A Wrinkle in Time is similar in that it had no hype in the weeks before its release. Nobody really knew, what this was if you didnt read the book. The trailers were messy and bad and didnt have a good selling point, which is badly needed for any kind of anticipation. Great reviews can counter that a little bit, but this one has mixed-to bad ones.

Its actually like a Tomorrowland 2.0, but i remember that movie having a little more anticipation.

• Like 2