Alli

Weekend Thread: Weekend estimates pg 38...BP 41.14....WIT 33.31

I’ve said it more than once and I’ll say it again, the family films in the summer, mainly Incredibles 2, Christopher Robin and to a lesser extent Hotel Transylvania 3 are going to have a field day due to how weak family movies were this spring.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’ve said it more than once and I’ll say it again, the family films in the summer, mainly Incredibles 2, Christopher Robin and to a lesser extent Hotel Transylvania 3 are going to have a field day due to how weak family movies were this spring.

Interestingly enough, exactly a decade ago in 2008 was the last time winter/spring had such a weak family lineup. All you had before summer was Spiderwick Chronicles, Nim's Island, and Horton Hears a Who for a combined $270m. Even Paddington 2/Peter Rabbit/WiT/Gnomes isn't as weak as that. Also interesting is that summer didn't really explode with family blockbusters either. Wall-E and Kung Fu Panda were tops both around $200m, which was on the weak side for Pixar. 

57 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Listening to Double Toasted's WIT review, they say several times that it's a movie for very young kids, yet there's stuff that could scare them. That could hurt WOM a bit.

Speaking as a parent, I very much doubt it. The same is true for almost any animated movie.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Geez, the winter/spring family slate combined to over $1b last year and over $800m in 2016. No wonder this year's seems so weak. Though those 2 were way way above any other year. 

Even in 2015 it was over $600M, and in 2014 it was at $570M. This year we might have under $300M.

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Panther had a 4.1M Thursday, which probably indicates a performance of O/U 40M for the weekend. It usually blows up on Saturday anyway, so.... it's more than likely that it wins the weekend again.

yes, everyone should remember this if Friday number isn't great again. It's a BIG Saturday player. BIG. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, HerediTele said:

Speaking as a parent, I very much doubt it. The same is true for almost any animated movie.

Ha remember the arguments about the dogs in UP?