baumer

Love, Simon (2018)

Grade it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Not exactly original stuff (it's essentially a modern take on the John Hughes teen movie but with a gay protagonist), but it's amusing and extremely heartfelt. And if it inspires gay youths, then all the more power to it. Also elevated by a very good cast, including a wonderful Nick Robinson in what will likely be a breakthrough performance. B+

• Like 1

I 100% adore this film. It felt so genuine and honest. I love Simon’s struggle of coming.  It felt so real with him deciding to come out. I love the mystery of blue. The film is so uplifting and cute. I think I was crying for the last 30 minutes. As someone who is gay. I been waiting for a film like this. 

A

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 7

On 3/18/2018 at 4:02 AM, filmlover said:

Not exactly original stuff (it's essentially a modern take on the John Hughes teen movie but with a gay protagonist), but it's amusing and extremely heartfelt. And if it inspires gay youths, then all the more power to it. Also elevated by a very good cast, including a wonderful Nick Robinson in what will likely be a breakthrough performance. B+

you suggesting that his performance in Jurassic World as a moody teenager who can't change his emotional state of nothingness even when he's being chased by dinosaurs, was not a breakthrough?

9 minutes ago, Treetanic said:

you suggesting that his performance in Jurassic World as a moody teenager who can't change his emotional state of nothingness even when he's being chased by dinosaurs, was not a breakthrough?

Who the hell watches a Jurassic Park movie for anything but the dinosaurs?

Teen movies haven't always been this dreary right? Like I've not been living in some parallel universe my whole life?

Like 70s kids had Grease!... 80s kids had Ferris Bueller... 90s kids had American Pie... Noughties kids had Mean Girls... and today's kids have... this? I feel sorry for teenagers if this is so good it's worth watching 3 times in one weekend, as some tweets claim.

This movie sucked.

I didn't believe in the main character, and believed even less in his two dimensional friends and less still in the inappropriate teachers. Those teachers would be fine in other movies (e.g. the head teacher in Ferris Bueller) but this film just took itself so seriously that it's out of place.

Simon is a dick and his actions make little sense. I understand why he did the stuff in terms of plot, but I didn't believe in it in terms of his character. 

Almost all the actors were somewhere between plain, and plain bad. The acting teacher was so cringey. Nick Robinson is so boring and uncharismatic. The only highlight was watching Josh Duhamel attempt to act, which I found genuinely laugh-out-loud funny.

Most of the dialogue is wonky, wooden and cringey.

Finally I thought the whole central "relationship" that we're meant to be rooting for was just weird and creepy and not from a world I recognise. Who the fuck "falls in love" with an anonymous stranger on the internet?

Overall this film had very few redeeming factors and I was bored from start to finish.

F

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 3

17 minutes ago, Treetanic said:

Teen movies haven't always been this dreary right? Like I've not been living in some parallel universe my whole life?

Like 70s kids had Grease!... 80s kids had Ferris Bueller... 90s kids had American Pie... Noughties kids had Mean Girls... and today's kids have... this? I feel sorry for teenagers if this is so good it's worth watching 3 times in one weekend, as some tweets claim.

This movie sucked.

I didn't believe in the main character, and believed even less in his two dimensional friends and less still in the inappropriate teachers. Those teachers would be fine in other movies (e.g. the head teacher in Ferris Bueller) but this film just took itself so seriously that it's out of place.

Simon is a dick and his actions make little sense. I understand why he did the stuff in terms of plot, but I didn't believe in it in terms of his character. 

Almost all the actors were somewhere between plain, and plain bad. The acting teacher was so cringey. Nick Robinson is so boring and uncharismatic. The only highlight was watching Josh Duhamel attempt to act, which I found genuinely laugh-out-loud funny.

Most of the dialogue is wonky, wooden and cringey.

Finally I thought the whole central "relationship" that we're meant to be rooting for was just weird and creepy and not from a world I recognise. Who the fuck "falls in love" with an anonymous stranger on the internet?

Overall this film had very few redeeming factors and I was bored from start to finish.

F

Image result for wtf meme black girl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, coming from someone who isn’t homosexual I found this movie at times to be very strong emotionally, like legit I was in my seat almost tearing up because although I’m not gay, I can relate in somewhat other ways at how sexual frustration can build up in a person. Especially so when your sexual preference isn’t in the “norm”. I’m still battling with areas like this, so at times the film hit me deep emotionally. And for the most part, this film was good for me, I actually loved it. There were just a few moments/scenes where it just felt a bit weird to me:

1. Like, how did Simon not remember to exit out his email or sign out? I’m like, huge big on that. I constantly would double check my shit on all my emails and absolutely be sure I logged off by reopening yahoo and seeing the “sign in” logo. It just felt cheap for the writers to just have Simon “forget/distracted” to sign off on such a really secret/private subject.

2. When the kid (I’m sorry, was his name Marvin?) made his request to Abby to go out with him on the football field, that was like laughable. I mean, that literally would not happen in real life like that, it kind if took me out of the film for a bit cause although the scene was funny, I knew what it was setting up and I just thought the director would of went with a more realistic scenario, like having Marvin confront Abby (on a side scene) one on one and then having her break his heart. Would of felt more real to me.

3. Lastly, the scene where he confronts his friends. I mean, I understand Simon did wrong and I guess it’s hypocritical of me to say that “well, if it’s being blackmailed or coming out im gay the ill come out, cause I dont sell my friends”. But that was my mood. However, with that said, I felt for Simon and when he confronted his friends, I feel like it felt too “scripted”. I feel like real friends in life would if been taken aback and have been sympatheitc to him, since obviously he was being blackmailed and that coming out is realky hard for some. Instead the film kind of felt scripted and they easily “pieced out” the pieces of what happened, got mad, then left and I’m like....wait what?

other than that though I loved the movie. I’d give it an 8.5, B+ overall

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

So, coming from someone who isn’t homosexual I found this movie at times to be very strong emotionally, like legit I was in my seat almost tearing up because although I’m not gay, I can relate in somewhat other ways at how sexual frustration can build up in a person. Especially so when your sexual preference isn’t in the “norm”. I’m still battling with areas like this, so at times the film hit me deep emotionally. And for the most part, this film was good for me, I actually loved it. There were just a few moments/scenes where it just felt a bit weird to me:

1. Like, how did Simon not remember to exit out his email or sign out? I’m like, huge big on that. I constantly would double check my shit on all my emails and absolutely be sure I logged off by reopening yahoo and seeing the “sign in” logo. It just felt cheap for the writers to just have Simon “forget/distracted” to sign off on such a really secret/private subject.

2. When the kid (I’m sorry, was his name Marvin?) made his request to Abby to go out with him on the football field, that was like laughable. I mean, that literally would not happen in real life like that, it kind if took me out of the film for a bit cause although the scene was funny, I knew what it was setting up and I just thought the director would of went with a more realistic scenario, like having Marvin confront Abby (on a side scene) one on one and then having her break his heart. Would of felt more real to me.

3. Lastly, the scene where he confronts his friends. I mean, I understand Simon did wrong and I guess it’s hypocritical of me to say that “well, if it’s being blackmailed or coming out im gay the ill come out, cause I dont sell my friends”. But that was my mood. However, with that said, I felt for Simon and when he confronted his friends, I feel like it felt too “scripted”. I feel like real friends in life would if been taken aback and have been sympatheitc to him, since obviously he was being blackmailed and that coming out is realky hard for some. Instead the film kind of felt scripted and they easily “pieced out” the pieces of what happened, got mad, then left and I’m like....wait what?

other than that though I loved the movie. I’d give it an 8.5, B+ overall

I am glad you enjoyed it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, K1stpierre said:

It happens in the book so I guess they didn't have much room for variation but I still agree with you. Like when I was in the closet and I had a private/secret Myspace (:lol:) so I could talk to a gay guy I knew and..... holy shit did I protect that log in and computer history with my life. It had so secure and protected that it would make the Pentagon jealous hahaha!

Glad you enjoyed the movie though! It certainly isn't a perfect film (some of the jokes didn't land for me) but it has a good message, good acting, and felt like a John Hughes-like film. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Do you watch!!?? If so THANK YOU! YOU ARE THE GREATEST!

I would do more but it takes a lot of effort and I'm not quite sure how many people actually watch or like it since no one ever tells me hahah so its good to know, you're interested. 

I do this because its fun and for my real life AND Online friends! So I will always take recommendations. 

You and @Dexter of Suburbia have now both asked for a Love, Simon review so WE WILL DO IT! Hopefully will go this weekend! 

@Hiccup23 Thanks so much for asking! 

Have you and AJ seen the film yet?

I think the most effective scene for me in this was when Simon and his father actually spoke to each other for the first time since his coming out to his family and the father expressing how sorry he was for the jokes that he cracked over the years (saying he didn't want to watch The Bachelor because it was "fruity," etc.) that might have unintentionally and unconsciously hurt his son in the process and how much he loves him for who he is.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

A very enjoyable film. It doesn't reinvent the wheel or buck any teen comedy trends but excels at what it does. Nick Robinson redeems himself from Jurassic World as a much less horny teen! Love, Simon is on the verge of something great, but I don't think it quite hits that mark. I'm glad to see so many LGBT people resonating with it; this sends a good message to Hollywood8.5/10 | B+

• Like 1

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think the most effective scene for me in this was when Simon and his father actually spoke to each other for the first time since his coming out to his family and the father expressing how sorry he was for the jokes that he cracked over the years (saying he didn't want to watch The Bachelor because it was "fruity," etc.) that might have unintentionally and unconsciously hurt his son in the process and how much he loves him for who he is.

They picked The Americans instead though. I want a family that cool! :whosad: 

• Like 1

I had been experiencing a case of teen-centered coming of age dramedy fatigue as of late, but the positive responses convinced me to take a chance on this one. I had some issues with it during the exposition phases, primarily due to the presence of my biggest genre gripe (verbal acceptance of upper-middle class two-parent household trappings as normal by default) and the contrived nature of the initial Martin set-up. However, once it got past the 20 minute mark, I found myself won over.

The film definitely tapped into some emotions, to say the least, as a person who has recently started to realize how little they know about their own identity. Thankfully, I went with a friend, so I was able to get some thoughts out after stifling the urge to tear-up towards the end and as the credits rolled. 

The earnest and empathetic underpinning sensibilities definitely resonate on a deeper level, genre trappings and all, a credit to the work put in by the cast and the various surrounding creative voices.  

Overall grade: 8/10