baumer

Love, Simon (2018)

Grade it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

2 hours ago, Isle of Pasta said:

B+

By no means perfect, and far from the best LGBT representation out there, but I really dug it and found I quite sincere. I was moved more often than I expected.

Also: Fuck Martin.

I literally wanted to reach up onto the screen and strangle Martin whenever he appeared. Logan Miller did an A+ job of making that character completely unbearable. 

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

I literally wanted to reach up onto the screen and strangle Marvin at whenever he appeared. Logan Miller did an A+ job of making that character unbearable. 

Not sure if you saw Game Night, but I thought that, like Jesse Plemons’ character in that, he would be a friendly and good hearted, if socially inept and discomforting, friend trying to find himself.

But nope. He was just a bloody a-hole. To the point where I’m shocked Abby enjoyed even having him around.

1 minute ago, Isle of Pasta said:

Not sure if you saw Game Night, but I thought that, like Jesse Plemons’ character in that, he would be a friendly and good hearted, if socially inept and discomforting, friend trying to find himself.

But nope. He was just a bloody a-hole. To the point where I’m shocked Abby enjoyed even having him around.

I did. It was hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Hiccup23 said:

I wanna do a review of this but I have a lot of feelings about this film and don't want to get emotional hahah

Anyway after a third viewing 97/100

A+

I've been struggling to find the exact words to crystalize how profoundly this movie affected me.  And, I too, have seen it three times.  I'm somewhere between:

5c3da34602246b6320f027fc309049d5.gif and e31376aa305a9145a0b1a84bf666778a2048053f

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

So the character that can’t ge the girl :insane:

lol you got me.

But no seriously, Martin was the only person in the movie that I believed actually existed in the same universe as this one. all the other people in this movie were ridiculous and couldn't buy into any of them. whereas I've known plenty of Martins in school that were proper creeps.

When I first saw the Love, Simon trailer attached to a film a few months ago, I was not intrigued even though it surprised me when I realized it had been a very long time since I had seen a movie with a gay lead character that was not originally an art house film. I watch a lot of movies but the trailer did not make me want to rush out to the first showing on opening day. I have always enjoyed romantic comedies and high school movies so I thought I would eventually catch it during its theatrical run and hope it would be mildly entertaining

Fast forward to release week. I was not interested in seeing any of the new competition so Simon was pretty much the default new movie to see that weekend even though it had not even been on my radar as a must see movie. I checked RT and I was completely surprised by all of the positive reviews, some of which were flat out raves. I was now intrigued and eager to see the film. I purchased a ticket for the first Friday matinee at the theater just a few minutes away from where I live and I settled in with increased but restrained expectations. When it ended, I left the theater completely floored, maybe even shell shocked, after having watched the best film I had seen in a very long time.

The film nailed the nervous, single-mindedness of anyone experiencing a first love. Robinson perfectly embodied the hyper-aware, compartmentalized and emotionally (even sometimes physically) isolated existence so many teens experience, especially LGBTQ+ teens. You feel Simon’s elation each time he thinks he has discovered Blue’s identity and you crash right along with him when his guesses don’t pan out. You experience his pain when Martin tells all and you experience his dread upon meeting his friends and returning to school afterwards. The emotional upheavals continue when Simon has his separate talks with his mother and father and you share his relief just like any person (especially teenagers) would when they receive unconditional love from their parents. 

Love, Simon hits all the right beats for both a rom com and a high school story. The writing is sharp and focused as Simon’s journey never feels manipulative or cloying even with its requisite happy ending. The performances were terrific all around. Robinson impressed me with his ability to convey the wide range of emotions Simon experiences in the film. The four “adults” (Garner, Duhamel, Hale and Rothwell) were all superb. Berlanti packaged everything into a nicely paced film that had me wishing the film was 15-30 minutes longer. 

Unless you you have a cold heart and do not appreciate or enjoy the human condition, I cannot recommend the film enough. The positive, emotional impact this film has had on people of different ages, genders, races, sexualities and backgrounds is a testament to the cultural importance of cinema and the accomplishments of Love, Simon. The film is inspiring, helping and connecting all sorts of people. We couldn’t ask for anything more. 10/10 

• Like 6

Love, Simon was a lot funnier than I thought it would be.  The obnoxious character when he dressed as the 'Freudian slip' for Halloween, one of my favorites...  and the Star Spangled Banner scene... I was holding in the laughing but trying not to pee my pants.  I walked to the theater and got super stoned on the way there.  I do not react well with THC, I get overly sensitive, and usually VFX films are my best bet in such circumstances, so going in alone to a PG-13 high school rom-com felt as awkward as it could possibly be when I am at least ten years older than these characters.  I was even debating with watching Midnight Sun instead..

Caution to large groups... the theater seats you sit on might be measuring your pulse.  The air rests and flooring are firm and one has to put pressure on their limbs for up to 100 minutes in such environment. there is a lot of contact with pressure points.  

Edited by Thematrixfilm
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

Saw this twice. First time I was like hell yeah this is a pretty great movie about the struggle of showing the world who you are whether it be gay or otherwise. Had some great performances, Robinson in particular was awesome, a smart script, and some truly heartwarming and heartbreaking moments. 

But the second time the movie was on a whole other level for me. Usually on my second viewing of a film I just kinda tolerate the rest of it until I get to the good parts, but I was loving every second of this as it was happening. Really funny, great characters and really, really emotional. Shame it isn't breaking out bigger.

Originally had it as my number 3 of the year so far, but at this point my top 3 are all interchangeable. 

88/100 A-

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

Love, Simon was a lot funnier than I thought it would be.  The obnoxious character when he dressed as the 'Freudian slip' for Halloween, one of my favorites...  and the Star Spangled Banner scene... I was holding in the laughing but trying not to pee my pants.  I walked to the theater and got super stoned on the way there.  I do not react well with THC, I get overly sensitive, and usually VFX films are my best bet in such circumstances, so going in alone to a PG-13 high school rom-com felt as awkward as it could possibly be when I am at least ten years older than these characters.  I was even debating with watching Midnight Sun instead.  

I hear a lot of youth went to this film from schools.  Caution... the theater seats you sit on might be measuring your pulse where you sit.  The arms rests, where you put your feet up, the metal in the seats. the head rest.  there is a lot of contact with pressure points.....  elementary schools might do readings on kids and gather together with mature elder people to discuss sexual behavior & tendencies.  

I think this is simultaneously the best and worst post on this website

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DAJK said:

Saw this twice. First time I was like hell yeah this is a pretty great movie about the struggle of showing the world who you are whether it be gay or otherwise. Had some great performances, Robinson in particular was awesome, a smart script, and some truly heartwarming and heartbreaking moments. 

But the second time the movie was on a whole other level for me. Usually on my second viewing of a film I just kinda tolerate the rest of it until I get to the good parts, but I was loving every second of this as it was happening. Really funny, great characters and really, really emotional. Shame it isn't breaking out bigger.

Originally had it as my number 3 of the year so far, but at this point my top 3 are all interchangeable. 

88/100 A-

Yeah, My top best movies are definitely tight. This right now sits at number 4, a point behind number 3.

• Like 2

I thought the pacing was a little strange during the second half, that a lot of resolutions (Mainly with his parents) should have happened before ten minutes left in the film.

But this was both hilarious and anxiety-inducing, everyone in the cast did a killer job. Probably my third favorite of the year so far.

I definitely liked Love, Simon but I came out of the theatre feeling a little angry at the movie. I guess because I experienced similar problems to Simon in high school, but I absolutely did not get the easy, perfect resolution Simon did. I understand it's meant to be a crowd pleaser, but some of the issues Simon faced sorted themselves out way too quickly and randomly. Some of the characters felt way too forced as well, especially the vice principal, who was meant to be used as comic relief but it came off as trying too hard and ruined the natural feeling of the movie. Nick Robinson did a wonderful job portraying Simon, and I saw it with one of my friends who was recently out of the closet and it was the only movie that has ever made him tear up because he related so much to the lead character.

I know Love, Simon means a lot to many people in the LGBTQ community. I guess I kind of had the opposite reaction to them. I'm all for having a crowd-pleasing queer film, but the happy ending just wasn't earned for me at all. I'd still probably give it a B, I'm glad people have responded so well to it. 

Edited by Fanboy

On 6/3/2018 at 12:35 PM, Fanboy said:

I definitely liked Love, Simon but I came out of the theatre feeling a little angry at the movie. I guess because I experienced similar problems to Simon in high school, but I absolutely did not get the easy, perfect resolution Simon did. I understand it's meant to be a crowd pleaser, but some of the issues Simon faced sorted themselves out way too quickly and randomly. Some of the characters felt way too forced as well, especially the vice principal, who was meant to be used as comic relief but it came off as trying too hard and ruined the natural feeling of the movie. Nick Robinson did a wonderful job portraying Simon, and I saw it with one of my friends who was recently out of the closet and it was the only movie that has ever made him tear up because he related so much to the lead character.

I know Love, Simon means a lot to many people in the LGBTQ community. I guess I kind of had the opposite reaction to them. I'm all for having a crowd-pleasing queer film, but the happy ending just wasn't earned for me at all. I'd still probably give it a B, I'm glad people have responded so well to it. 

I think you'll like Alex Strangelove more. It's definitely a movie worth recommending.