Alli

Wednesday numbers: Game Night-875k

Counting its “$3.2m Thursday in China” gross, Walt Disney’s Black Panther has brought its worldwide box office total to around $1.121 billion worldwide. That puts it just over/under the $1.121b (in 2D and way back in 2003) global cume of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

With around $578m as of tomorrow, it should be over $600m domestic by the end of this weekend.

Once that happens, it’ll have caught up with the day-to-day grosses of Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($592 million in 31 days), making it the second-fastest grossing movie behind only Star Wars: The Force Awakens. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/03/15/box-office-black-panther-pacing-to-top-star-wars-the-last-jedi-and-avengers/#540ae7aee79f

Edited by Sheikh
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 5

31 minutes ago, Sheikh said:

on that article it says (about biggest fifth weekends) that "Of note, Frozen’s $28 million fifth-weekend was actually its fourth weekend of wide release, as it did the “debut at the El Capitan” thing before going wide on Thanksgiving. Of course, if Black Panther earns $29m this weekend, then that’s a moot point but I just thought it was worth pointing out just in case. Barring a fluke, Black Panther is going to pass Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($619m) and The Avengers ($623m) in domestic totals, becoming the fifth-biggest domestic earner of all time and cracking the top-40 in inflation-adjusted figures". 

It's not acurate as it was Frozen fifth weekend of wide release (and sixth considering it's limited release). It's annoying that someone who write about box office make this kind of mistake. It's not the first time i read mistake as this and i can´t believe that it happen so often (it make me think that anyone could write anything).

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

A 3.8 Wednesday would be around a 26.47% drop from Tuesday, and only a 3.6% drop from previous Wednesday.

Deadpool had a 20.37% drop from Tuesday, but had a smaller increase, and a 39.88% drop from previous Wednesday.

Black Panther's Mon/Tues/Wed total is only around 12.85% down from previous Mon/Tues/Wed. Deadpool was 40.12% down, Deadpool went onto have a -34.6% drop on the weekend, let's see what Black Panther can do.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Finnick said:

A decent 26% drop from yesterday, The weekend looking GOOD!!

After 27 days of release, BP & TDK have almost similar multipliers of 2.85X. TDK add further 81 million ... similar multiplier gives BP 678 million final total but TDK summer days were about to get over from here on whereas BP still has spring break, so 700 million is locked IMO. I think BP having an almost 3.5X of it's OW is an even given bigger achievement than it's 202M OW. Amazing movie, amazing run :)

• Like 1

Nice! I had the Wednesday number for BP pegged at $3.4M and Thursday for $3.2M. Based on the $3.8M actual Wednesday, Thursday will be higher than what I guessed, meaning the potential is there for a bigger weekend number than I predicted, which was $29M.

Then again, given it's Spring break I'm preparing for a softer Friday increase. We'll see!

• Like 3

Incredible performance! Just incredible. I wonder if black Panther can sneak into the #7th slot making over $1.405b world wide, making it (get this) the SECOND highest grossing super movie of all time, not bad at all.

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

$700m is certainly on the table for Black Panther. Might be a tough push past $675m but a lot of this is going to depend on the scattered Spring Break weekdays over the next 3 weeks.

DP had a 10.94 5th weekend and added 34.84 more to it's cume. That's 3.18x the 5th weekend.

If BP does 3.5 on Thu and 27.0 over FSS, gets to 578.2+27.0 = 605.2 cume

Then adding 605.2+27.0*3.40 = 697.0 (at this point or around it, Disney will push it to 700 IMO)

The way it's trending compared to DP so far (DP's final multi was 2.74x while BP already is at 2.84x+ after Wed), BP's 3.4x doesn't seem unreasonable compared to DP's 3.18x.

• Astonished 2