baumer

Happy Death Day 2U | Feb 13 2019

7 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

if we get a sequel it'll need to do well overseas. it opens in most countries this weekend so i expect a 20m OS at least this weekend. if not.. bye sequel

It didn’t open in the top 5 over here on Wednesday or Thursday, don’t think it even hit the top 10 on Wednesday.

Sorry, but when a clever horror film turns into Weird Science in the sequel, it's not surprising when it flops.

The first one certainly wasn't a full-on horror film, but this was even less.  I knew what I was going to see (was prepared for less horror) and was still surprised and disappointed.

Edited by Gamera

3 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

HDD2U should count $11.4M over six days.  WTF happened! will barely finish with 25m dom!

The first one was an ok plane movie, not some highly-remembered film that audiences were clamoring a sequel for. No demand amongst the GA, the whole "groundhogs day but horror!" angle would have felt rote this time around. Also doesn't help that Russian Doll just came out on Netflix, and is a much better female-lead Groundhogs Day riff.

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

The first one was an ok plane movie, not some highly-remembered film that audiences were clamoring a sequel for. No demand amongst the GA, the whole "groundhogs day but horror!" angle would have felt rote this time around. Also doesn't help that Russian Doll just came out on Netflix, and is a much better female-lead Groundhogs Day riff. 

Said nobody, ever.

And the first one was liked by most people.

Where did this movie go so wrong? Marketing? Concept? Very surprising to see a horror movie with good reviews and nothing that you'd consider objectionable or divisive in it doing so poorly after the first one was a success.

16 hours ago, feasby007 said:

Tbh though the mid credits scene both ended the series and start up potential for a new one.

No spoilers, but I'll say that I did not like that mid credit scene.

6 hours ago, kitik said:

Where did this movie go so wrong? Marketing? Concept? Very surprising to see a horror movie with good reviews and nothing that you'd consider objectionable or divisive in it doing so poorly after the first one was a success.

It opened the same weekend as the Avatar Killer

9 hours ago, kitik said:

No spoilers, but I'll say that I did not like that mid credit scene.

The main problem, imo, was that they made a sequel to a horror film (a tame one) but took almost all the horror out of the next one.  All the reviews and tweets from the actors/actresses made clear how different  this was going to be.  I still saw it, but am not surprised  at all that  many found the change unappealing.

I didn't mind finding out why the "re-living" was happening, but hated the reason, and I'm sure that played into the bad WOM.