baumer

Happy Death Day 2U | Feb 13 2019

18 minutes ago, Gamera said:

The main problem, imo, was that they made a sequel to a horror film (a tame one) but took almost all the horror out of the next one.  All the reviews and tweets from the actors/actresses made clear how different  this was going to be.  I still saw it, but am not surprised  at all that  many found the change unappealing. 

its not even that different. and bad WOM from who? most people ive read loved it, see this thread...

On 2/16/2019 at 12:10 AM, kitik said:

Where did this movie go so wrong? Marketing? Concept? Very surprising to see a horror movie with good reviews and nothing that you'd consider objectionable or divisive in it doing so poorly after the first one was a success.

No spoilers, but I'll say that I did not like that mid credit scene.

The trailers were so generic that to me they felt like the trailers for the first film. What was the hook for this film? I mean, you could say the hook was simply the fact that it was a sequel to a well liked film, but when you have a first film that was modesty successful only (not a massive mega-smash like, say, IT), is that enough to compel audiences? I think the marketing was atrocious: again, the trailers felt super indistinct from the trailers of the original. 

What went wrong here was how the movie was marketed. Well, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know if they could have marketed it differently. But the trailers promised nothing new, it felt like a cash-grab rehash of the first movie.

Considering the reviews and the reception from fans, this sequel seems to be actually worth it, but that's not how it looked judging from the trailers. 

That being said, I think people who enjoyed the first movie will eventually catch it on Netflix, and if there's a third movie that's marketed right and promise something exciting, it will do great.

By the way, the first movie still isn't on Netflix here in Brazil yet. It was neglected by the studio during the theatrical release, and it will for sure find a big audience when it hits Netflix. This is exactly the type of movie that becomes very popular after it's on Netflix. If that's the case in other countries, than maybe that's also preventing the sequel to be doing better worldwide.

• Like 1

It’s a shame this has underperformed, it really is genuinely a good film, and I’d actually say I enjoyed it more than the first, but I would agree that the marketing let it down due to it looking like a rehash when in fact it’s anything but and goes out of its way to go against your expectations, to the point where it is more of a comedy drama than a horror.

Although I suppose the marketing department might have been concerned about alienating the original film’s audience by marketing a horror sequel that is no longer a horror, so I get why they marketed it the way they did.

I loved it and hope they manage to make a third.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This is exactly the type of movie that becomes very popular after it's on Netflix. If that's the case in other countries, than maybe that's also preventing the sequel to be doing better worldwide. 

This makes a lot of sense. They should have released it on netflix on october or so... and add a HDD2 trailer at the end, their loss. would have done better OS

Edited by TombRaider

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

What went wrong here was how the movie was marketed. Well, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know if they could have marketed it differently. But the trailers promised nothing new, it felt like a cash-grab rehash of the first movie.

Considering the reviews and the reception from fans, this sequel seems to be actually worth it, but that's not how it looked judging from the trailers. 

That being said, I think people who enjoyed the first movie will eventually catch it on Netflix, and if there's a third movie that's marketed right and promise something exciting, it will do great.

This has already made back more of its budget than Alita. With where this movie is at WW, it would be the equivalent of Alita opening to 500M WW. Mesmerizing success.  

Spoiler

I'm just trying to point out how the box office is objective. It works both ways, not serving one person's agenda about a certain movie (or actress). Does no one else recognize this :lol: Second Act was a resounding success because its budget was so low, while all of a sudden Alita is the big hit and HDD2 is the bomb. I'm not saying HDD is a hit, but some of these Alita stans are getting ridiculous. 

• Knock It Off 1

24 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This has already made back more of its budget than Alita. With where this movie is at WW, it would be the equivalent of Alita opening to 500M WW. Mesmerizing success.  

Hide contents

I'm just trying to point out how the box office is objective. It works both ways, not serving one person's agenda about a certain movie (or actress). Does no one else recognize this :lol: Second Act was a resounding success because its budget was so low, while all of a sudden Alita is the big hit and HDD2 is the bomb. I'm not saying HDD is a hit, but some of these Alita stans are getting ridiculous. 

I think it comes to expectations now. HDD 1 made 125m on a 4,5m budget. im sure they expected this to do at least 100m and it'll do around 55m WW when the movie is done. is it profitable? of course. but blumhouse is used to almost everything doing 10x its budget or more so...

• Like 1