The Wild Eric

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yes I definitely pirate, say, mid-20th century classics I can't get hold of legally because I don't really love cinema. 

Yeah I think this is the only instance that piracy should be allowed.  I might actually end up pirating something like I Love You Daddy just because there’s a high chance it won’t be made available.  My main issue is with people who pirate when there’s a legal version readily available to you, because that just makes you cheap.

27 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's weird to me how movies with gay main characters seemingly had a much easier time reaching the mainstream and making big money in the mid-90s (Philadelphia, In & Out, The Birdcage which freaking made over 120m) than they do now. 

Those all had major stars at the time

• Like 1

Looks like Black Panther is the 2nd fastest movie to hit 600 m (31 days).

And the only 21st century movie to stay #1 for five weekends (consecutive or non-consecutive).

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Panther's success is historical. Wish Tomb Raider and Love, Simon had done better. ICOI did quite impressively for a Christian movie.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

People who pirate suck and I’ve no respect for them or their opinions. Cheap asses. 

People who pirate also don’t really love film. 

I don't particularly endorse piracy (though I'd be lying if I said I've never illegally downloaded stuff.... because I couldn't find the thing I wanted in stores, and eBay or Amazon weren't a thing for me yet), but you are aware that those that get their shit from pirate websites probably don't have the financial capacity to go often to the theaters - whether because it's expensive or because they don't have a theater near them - and have to resort to piracy to watch films they wanted to see but not quite as much as others that they'd actually pay for? "Cheap asses who don't really love film".... I mean, maybe the cheap ass part is right, but I doubt someone would do an illegal thing because they hate cinema (or video games, music, etc.).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Tracking  

Pacific Rim Uprising which is looking at between $24M-$31M

From Deadline. I'd be shocked if it passes $20m

Wait for reviews. They will be revising those numbers downwards. By the way I remember during the week of it's opening tracking still saw Fan4stick opening with 45-55mil. 

14 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I hope Jumanji collapses next weekend thanks to the home video release and finishes its run like $500k short of Spider-Man. Would be hilarious. Sony should have paid attention to Fox when they postponed Showman's blu-ray release date.

My theater cut it down to 1 show a day this week so I'm sure the drop next week is gonna be rough.

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

And the only 21st century movie to stay #1 for five weekends (consecutive or non-consecutive).

Avatar? That one did 7 weekends if I am not wrong

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Eak! Don't let a certain Avatar groupie see this comment :D

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah I think this is the only instance that piracy should be allowed.  I might actually end up pirating something like I Love You Daddy just because there’s a high chance it won’t be made available.  My main issue is with people who pirate when there’s a legal version readily available to you, because that just makes you cheap.

Cheap or sensible with their cash?