CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla: King of the Monsters OS thread

Argentina :-

OW :- 81,303 Admissions ... Opened At No. 2 Position ... Aladdin Still Leading By A Margin .. 

Turkey :-

OW :- 40,733 Admissions ... Opened At No. 3 Position ... Grosses $789K ... Average Start ..

Edited by Sunny Max

@Corpse weekend review

Godzilla: King of the Monsters roared some life back into the box-office, selling a very impressive 479,000 admissions over the weekend frame across 431 screens. It sold 641,773 admissions since opening on Friday. This debut is a significant 33% higher than its predecessor, and it's even 8% higher than 2016's Shin Godzilla.

I've read a lot of good things about how the film is much more of a "Godzilla" film than Hollywood's previous attempts, from Ifukube's original themes being used in the film to the kaiju designs being truer to their original characters. And Japanese audience scores seem to reflect this news as well, since it's averaging scores of 4/5 (80%) across most domestic movie sites. I still think they'll be some degree of frontloading, but the good reception could very well offset some of the initial demand. I expect it'll finish a bit above the ¥4 billion ($35-40 million) milestone, but let's see if it can go a bit higher.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Legendary Entertainment’s “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” didn’t stomp through North American movie theaters, instead treading to just $49 million in its opening weekend — roughly half that of its 2014 predecessor.

But Legendary, founded by Thomas Tull and owned by the Chinese conglomerate Wanda Group since 2016, isn’t sweating the early returns for the film, which had a kaiju-size budget of $170 million, according to BoxOfficeMojo. The studio is breathing easy because its focus is very much overseas, where the film grossed a solid $130 million — including $70 million in China alone.

“Over the past few years, they have been focusing on blockbuster style films that often see the majority of their box office coming from the international marketplace,” Paul Dergarabedian, senior analyst at ComScore, said. “If you look at the money the films have made — even just the MonsterVerse — it’s a huge amount of money… There’s a huge international interest in these films.”

‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ Didn’t Roar at the Domestic Box Office but Legendary Isn’t Sweating

LOL they donot know the ship is going down and are still celebriting...

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

15 hours ago, firedeep said:

‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ Didn’t Roar at the Domestic Box Office but Legendary Isn’t Sweating

LOL they donot know the ship is going down and are still celebriting...

It's a coproduction, WB paying for 25% of it. It will be a disappointing finish but Godzilla Vs Kong will more than make up for it I imagine, I hope.

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

It's a coproduction, WB paying for 25% of it. It will be a disappointing finish but Godzilla Vs Kong will more than make up for it I imagine, I hope.

Godzilla Vs Kong Might Change The BOX OFFICE Dimension Of Monsterverse ...  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

the article is about Legendary, not WB.

PS if the film loses  money, WB will lose money too, no matter what their share is.

Corpse

I forgot to post this updated list on Monday. Godzilla: King of the Monsters achieved the fourth biggest opening weekend for the month of June, and the biggest opening in June in 11 years.

Biggest June Opening Weekends (1997-)

¥2.223 billion ($18.7 million) / 1,486,743 - The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
¥1.871 billion ($17.3 million) / 1,469,755 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
¥1.005 billion ($9.6 million) / 805,350 - Boys Over Flower: Final (2008)
¥676.9 million ($6.3 million) / 479,000 - Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
¥624.2 million ($5.2 million) / 416,632 - Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003)
¥603.5 million ($4.9 million) / 447,144 - Live Free or Die Hard (2007)
¥592.1 million ($6.1 million) / 461,866 - Terminator Salvation (2009)
¥580.9 million ($7.4 million) / 426,604 - The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
¥562.6 million ($5.8 million) / 439,993 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
¥512.2 million ($5.3 million) / 354,852 - Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance (2009)
¥506.2 million ($4.8 million) / 369,119 - The Magic Hour (2008)
¥499.3 million ($4.5 million) / 375,293 - Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
¥444.8 million ($4.1 million) / 349,950 - Shoplifters (2018)
¥432.0 million ($3.8 million) / 320,000 - Trick 2 (2006)
¥412.9 million ($3.4 million) / 299,000 - 300 (2007)
¥408.8 million ($3.6 million) / 308,600 - Death Note (2006)
¥400.2 million ($3.3 million) / 251,811 - Love Live! The School Idol Movie (2015)

I rarely have to update the June Opening Weekend List (June is one of the weakest months for the box-office in Japan) but this year's has a number of films that could join Godzilla, so I expect to be updating it one or two more times this year. Interestingly though, despite June being a weak month, it's home to the film with the biggest opening weekend of all-time -- The Matrix Reloaded.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

For the experts who kill Zilla before being shot. 

China is doing well (possible a 2x of 70M OW).

Japan doing very good.

I think will pass $450M ww

Need other markets support & i dont see .... Aladdin dominating massively