CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla: King of the Monsters OS thread

6 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Correct, except the budgets are also inflated as well as the grosses, so no not poor. Actually a pretty good hold

Right ... 2nd thing This is Just A Start ... its Thursday .. Lets See How The Weekend Turns Out ..

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Please explain that to me.

160M budget for G14 in today's money is around 173M. KOTM budget is 170M. A drop in some territories can be afforded since China's gross is expected to bust balls. Almost making as much as G14 in its entire run in its opening is impressive

3 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

160M budget for G14 in today's money is around 173M. KOTM budget is 170M. A drop in some territories can be afforded since China's gross is expected to bust balls. Almost making as much as G14 in its entire run in its opening is impressive

Wait For the Actual Weekend ... Picture Will Clear ... 

Courtesy @Corpse at KJ

I don't think so. I still mostly think it'll have a similar performance as the 2014 film in the market. If it didn't include the many classic kaiju, I'd be predicting a decline, but they'll probably help keep it from dropping too much.

Friday pre-sales are pretty poor so far. It'll be more of an evening/night film, but even the busiest theaters aren't really seeing much in pre-sales for the day. That said, Friday's performance won't really tell us too much this week because Saturday is the 1st of the month (national discount day), so Friday will be deflated as a result. Still, nothing is indicating a breakout or anything of the sort. A big film would still have strong Friday ticket sales regardless.

And I wouldn't take Deadline as a credible source for the market either... Nothing against them, but they always seem to over-hype films based on Japanese material in the market. I remember they "heard" that Alita: Battle Angel was having big pre-sales a week before opening (I didn't even see any advance showings...), even saying people were seeing it twice..., and then suggested it was headed toward a big debut in the market. But that definitely didn't happen. It had a mediocre debut, followed by very poor legs that landed it in the bomb category. And that wasn't surprising. Anyone who follows the Japanese market will tell you that it's very rare for Hollywood adaptations of Japanese source material to succeed in the market.

• Like 1

I really don't understand why these Monster movies aren't catching fire OS.

In theory, they should've been killing considering that back in the last decade, these disaster movies used to be MASSIVE OS, but now, they're all doing disappointing numbers. Both G14 and Kong did mediocre numbers OS, and when we take China off the equation, it's even worse, and now it's looking like G2 is going to underperform despite being an even bigger spectacle (!), unfortunately, OS tastes has changed a lot this decade, SH movies used to have little to no appeal OS (except for SM and Batman), and now they're killing it, while disaster movies are fading. 😕

2 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I really don't understand why these Monster movies aren't catching fire OS.

In theory, they should've been killing considering that back in the last decade, these disaster movies used to be MASSIVE OS, but now, they're all doing disappointing numbers. Both G14 and Kong did mediocre numbers OS, and when we take China off the equation, it's even worse, and now it's looking like G2 is going to underperform despite being an even bigger spectacle (!), unfortunately, OS tastes has changed a lot this decade, SH movies used to have little to no appeal OS (except for SM and Batman), and now they're killing it, while disaster movies are fading. 😕

It's probably market saturation honestly. These have been coming out pretty steadily in the past 5 years and the quality (no offense) hasn't really increased that much like the Super Hero Genre.

13 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

Disastrous ...  GZ-2014 did $8.6 Million in OW ..

$2,6-2.7 mln is the most optimistic prediction right now, And Pets 2 also opened well below the first part by the way.

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, chaotic-strike said:

It's probably market saturation honestly. These have been coming out pretty steadily in the past 5 years and the quality (no offense) hasn't really increased that much like the Super Hero Genre.

You may have a point, but apart of the JW movies (and these doesn't even count since they're part of one of biggest brand ever), we haven't had a true "Monster/Disaster Movie" doing massive (500m+) OS Numbers for the whole DECADE. It's truly bizarre when we consider that these movies used to dominate the OS charts back in the last decade. 

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Guys. The reason this is underperforming is the reason I’ve been saying all along. People didn’t like the first Godzilla and because of that didn’t have interest in the sequel 

That Was Poor Film .. GD-2014 ... Obviously No Interest in The Sequel .. But Still We Need to See hows Movie Perform In The Weekend .. 

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Guys. The reason this is underperforming is the reason I’ve been saying all along. People didn’t like the first Godzilla and because of that didn’t have interest in the sequel 

I can't accept this excuse. The problem isn't with this movie/franchise only, pretty much every Monster movie released this decade has disappointed OS, and most of the time, they're saved by China only. The genre is suffering, it's not this movie only. Even the ones that actually do decent DOM like MEG/Rampage fails to cross even $400m OS, and this despite counting with a BIG help from China.

7 hours ago, Stewart said:

First full day in UK... debuted in 4th behind all 3 openers of last weekend. Brutal

Given schools are off this week, you might excuse SLOP and Al, but Zilla being below even Rocketman is terrible.

Holy fucking yikes. When was the last time a big budget US movie opened like that? It's at number fucking 4.

18 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

That Was Poor Film .. GD-2014 ... Obviously No Interest in The Sequel .. But Still We Need to See hows Movie Perform In The Weekend .. 

I loved the first one as did many of my friends. Plus, I feel that if that one had been a monster mash it would have made this movie less special! Lets see about the BO, people liked KSI,  but I find it really hard to believe that G2014 was bad enough to turn people off from Godzilla in general

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Wake up, it's pretty obvious the pattern it's following, stop acting like a delusional fanboy. 

He's being pretty reasonable, let's wait for the full picture. In any case, his comment did not warrant your sharp response, take a breath

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Wake up, it's pretty obvious the pattern it's following, stop acting like a delusional fanboy. 

Personal assaults doesn’t change the fact it’s still too early to call. Yes, I’m a Godzilla fan who recognizes tracking in like 6 territories out of 75 is low. We’ll see. Can’t wait to watch the film.