CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla: King of the Monsters OS thread

3 hours ago, Brinatico said:

Panic. Panic.. why. 

Is doing 200M+ this weekend 

Is it? Seems more like around 130-150. On a 200M budget. @Gavin Feng literally said 400M WW IS NOT SAFE.

But I guess in WB lunatic fanboy town where you think every MCU movie from here on out except Avengers 5 will flop, everything is alright even when it isn't.

Pikachu + Godzilla combined < Aladdin remake DOM/WW = I don't want to live in this world anymore :whosad:

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Is it? Seems more like around 130-150. On a 200M budget. @Gavin Feng literally said 400M WW IS NOT SAFE.

But I guess in WB lunatic fanboy town where you think every MCU movie from here on out except Avengers 5 will flop, everything is alright even when it isn't.

Pikachu + Godzilla combined < Aladdin remake DOM/WW = I don't want to live in this world anymore :whosad:

$350 To $370 M WW Is The Safe Bet ...  

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

China alone going to make 65M this weekend. 

Welcome to my world 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

China alone going to make 65M this weekend. 

Welcome to my world 

And everywhere else non-China and DOM in the planet is doing about 40-50. It's not hitting 200.

But I do kinda like your world. I mean, certainly can't be worse than a world where Toy Story 4 is tracking for a potential 150 OW *pukes*

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And everywhere else non-China and DOM in the planet is doing about 40-50. It's not hitting 200.

But I do kinda like your world. I mean, certainly can't be worse than a world where Toy Story 4 is tracking for a potential 150 OW *pukes*

Toy Story is going to make 1B and LK too, but after that what else on Disney remakes.

And without China on Thursday Godzilla have 12M+ you think is going to make just 38M from FSS... think again 

Edited by Brinatico

Maybe.. MAYBE Godzilla can break out in its home country of Japan. It’s having one hell of a Saturday there even with discount day. Would love to see Corpse’ report.. maybe it has a shot at 40-50m(total)there.. needs it badly. It made roughly 5m on Saturday.... around 7m total already.

GREAT debut in Japan seems to be the only actual really good thing going for it right now.. that and a just ok China run. 

If if it had just one odd territory breakout other than Japan, I’d be extremely happy. Like it’s been said before just a handful of territories have reported through the weekend... hopefully something looks good today with reports coming in soon.

Edited by Cookson

9 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

Toy Story is going to make 1B and LK too, but after that what else on Disney remakes.

And without China on Thursday Godzilla have 12M+ you think is going to make just 38M from FSS... think again 

Mulan comes out next year and will at least hit 500+ WW. They still have The Little Mermaid left as far as Renaissance movies go, and then, who knows, Snow White could be a hit from historical value of the original alone.... maybe Pinocchio or Bambi if people have nostalgia for that (I imagine they might be more beloved than Dumbo). And then there's more recent stuff, like Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch, Pocahontas, Hunchback Of Notre Dame, Emperor's New Groove, etc. that they can milk too and will likely be very successful as well. And obviously, let's not even get into the idea of them doing Pixar or more recent movie (like Frozen, Zootopia, Moana, etc.) remakes. Also, if Maleficent is getting a sequel, and if Alice got a sequel (which bombed, because no one liked Burton's Alice), then I wouldn't put it past Disney to give Jungle Book, Cinderella, BATB, Lion King and Aladdin sequels either. Cinderella in particular has one of the few well liked Disney home video sequels (Twist In Time) to its advantage. The milk train is, sadly, far from over. The ones that would be Dumbo 2.0's in theaters are getting Disney+ dumps (like Lady And The Tramp and The Sword In The Stone.... Peter Pan could do alright in theaters, but they're going with Disney+ for it too, apparently).

And as far as Godzilla, I'm literally just reporting the same as the news websites and insiders in the forum. The movie isn't going higher than 170-180 TOPS this weekend (the majority of that coming from DOM + China) and 400M WW is in danger of not happening. I know it's fun to root for WB and I wanted Godzilla to hit 1B WW. But it is what it is.

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Mulan comes out next year and will at least hit 500+ WW. They still have The Little Mermaid left as far as Renaissance movies go, and then, who knows, Snow White could be a hit from historical value of the original alone.... maybe Pinocchio or Bambi if people have nostalgia for that (I imagine they might be more beloved than Dumbo). And then there's more recent stuff, like Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch, Pocahontas, Hunchback Of Notre Dame, Emperor's New Groove, etc. that they can milk too and will likely be very successful as well. And obviously, let's not even get into the idea of them doing Pixar or more recent movie (like Frozen, Zootopia, Moana, etc.) remakes. Also, if Maleficent is getting a sequel, and if Alice got a sequel (which bombed, because no one liked Burton's Alice), then I wouldn't put it past Disney to give Jungle Book, Cinderella, BATB, Lion King and Aladdin sequels either. Cinderella in particular has one of the few well liked Disney home video sequels (Twist In Time) to its advantage. The milk train is, sadly, far from over. The ones that would be Dumbo 2.0's in theaters are getting Disney+ dumps (like Lady And The Tramp and The Sword In The Stone.... Peter Pan could do alright in theaters, but they're going with Disney+ for it too, apparently).

And as far as Godzilla, I'm literally just reporting the same as the news websites and insiders in the forum. The movie isn't going higher than 170-180 TOPS this weekend (the majority of that coming from DOM + China) and 400M WW is in danger of not happening. I know it's fun to root for WB and I wanted Godzilla to hit 1B WW. But it is what it is.

Godzilla was never a 600M movie not even a 1B one.

Check China an Japan forecast. 

The last is crushing Saturday like a 5M.

Dont see like a small territory to me.

And for the record I love Aladdin, like a lot infinity wars and black panther was almost perfect., but Endgame was to long and boring and CM dont add nothing to the universe. Dumbo was bad and Poppins was no hell.

Like you see I like some dislike others.

Edited by Brinatico

26 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

Godzilla was never a 600M movie not even a 1B one.

Check China an Japan forecast. 

The last is crushing Saturday like a 5M.

Dont see like a small territory to me.

And for the record I love Aladdin, like a lot infinity wars and black panther was almost perfect., but Endgame was to long and boring and CM dont add nothing to the universe. Dumbo was bad and Poppins was no hell.

Like you see I like some dislike others.

Not only was 600M absolutely achievable looking at G14 and KSI's runs, but given the budget they shelled out it was definitely a target. If Godzilla was never a 600m movie, they wouldnt have kept investing so much in the Monsterverse.

AEG was a better movie than IW, but I respect your opinion. Monsterverse would do well to take a page out of Marvel's book regarding restraint and character-driven narratives (if not the humans, develop the monsters into fully formed characters), the spectacle they already have covered

I am just getting increasingly disappointed with blockbuster movies. I know its not cool to stand up for Disney on the internet, but their track record of delivering on their biggest movies really is bar none, rarely do the most hyped Disney movies disappoint (sure, maybe you personally are disappointed (you can never please everyone), but not the vast amount of audience members and critics)

The Legendary/WB partnership has been pretty great so I hope it continues. I really liked KoTM and it seems so did many others. As a side note I dont think its fair to hang this underperformance on Dougherty or Legendary, they tried their best and sometimes it doesnt work out. This is certainly not a reason to scale back. People seem to get way too hung up on a studios short-term performance (one or two year lookback period). This industry is fickle, you cant just look at the most recent performance of a studio....

25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why is a Zootopia remake not an ironic joke anymore?

Because a Lion King remake isn't an ironic joke either? Do you really think it's past Disney to do something like that? They'll continue to do these as long as they're viable. You'll get your Dumbos and your Christopher Robins that aren't huge, but for the most part, they're gonna be a big deal. And when the well runs dry on the 2D animated films, they're gonna look at the 3D billion dollar beasts, like a Zootopia, and say "hmm, smells like MONEY". As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be shocked if we got a Zootopia remake before an actual Zootopia 2. Sony gave us the Ghostbusters remake with Melissa McCarthy before they decided "nah, let's do a sequel to the original saga instead", so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

@Brinatico It's doing well in China, Japan and pretty much nowhere else. It's underperforming, dude! If people are saying "400M WW may be in danger", then in all likelihood, it means that it won't top 200 this weekend. And no, to say that Godzilla was never a 600M player is bullshit. The previous movie, disliked as it was, topped 500M. And Kong: Skull Island did even more. The 2014 movie may have been very divisive, but the promise of this being an all-out monster mash, coupled with the hype generated by the trailers, gave people good reason to expect 500-600M.

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Because a Lion King remake isn't an ironic joke either? Do you really think it's past Disney to do something like that? They'll continue to do these as long as they're viable. You'll get your Dumbos and your Christopher Robins that aren't huge, but for the most part, they're gonna be a big deal. And when the well runs dry on the 2D animated films, they're gonna look at the 3D billion dollar beasts, like a Zootopia, and say "hmm, smells like MONEY". As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be shocked if we got a Zootopia remake before an actual Zootopia 2. Sony gave us the Ghostbusters remake with Melissa McCarthy before they decided "nah, let's do a sequel to the original saga instead", so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

@Brinatico It's doing well in China, Japan and pretty much nowhere else. It's underperforming, dude! If people are saying "400M WW may be in danger", then in all likelihood, it means that it won't top 200 this weekend. And no, to say that Godzilla was never a 600M player is bullshit. The previous movie, disliked as it was, topped 500M. And Kong: Skull Island did even more. The 2014 movie may have been very divisive, but the promise of this being an all-out monster mash, coupled with the hype generated by the trailers, gave people good reason to expect 500-600M.

Doing a live action remake of Zootopia before Zootopia 2 is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. They can just franchise Zootopia, a live action reboot wont make sense until they can bank on intergenerational nostalgia and that will take around 20+ years after the last Zootopia film (if they do in fact franchise it and release sequels, which is not entirely clear). Creating a live action film is very expensive, and until they have a new generation to introduce the film to, its too risky a proposition

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

Doing a live action remake of Zootopia before Zootopia 2 is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. They can just franchise Zootopia, a live action reboot wont make sense until they can bank on intergenerational nostalgia and that will take around 20+ years after the last Zootopia film (if they do in fact franchise it and release sequels, which is not entirely clear). Creating a live action film is very expensive, and until they have a new generation to introduce the film to, its too risky a proposition

You're telling me, go tell that to Disney instead. I'm not proposing the idea, I'm just theorizing that they are mad enough to come up with it. And 20 years is a shorter time gap than you might think. Zootopia came out in 2016. By 2036, they still have a big amount of films they will likely run as dry as they can. Next year we're getting a fucking Cruella De Vil movie, which won't even be the 1st live-action remake of the Disney version of 101 Dalmatians. They still have a lot of movies they wanna redo and they'll probably wanna give sequels to the ones they already remade. Trust me: a Zootopia remake is definitely not something I don't see Disney at least not putting on the table. Although I do think that the more realistic option is Zootopia 2 before a remake. Then again, I never in a million years would have guessed that they would greenlight a Wreck-It Ralph sequel before a Frozen or Zootopia one. (Technically, Frozen II was greenlit before Ralph Breaks The Internet, but it doesn't change the fact that Ralph came out first). Just like I never expected Pixar to greenlight Cars 2 and 3 - and Disney doing a bunch of Planes spin-offs - before Incredibles 2.

• Like 1

Well I love the fact it has a shot at 70m+ in China. Japan will probably be around 9m after Sunday... let’s just say 80m between those two to be optimistic.

45-50 is the domestic optimism right now.... so that’s 125-130 between the big 3. 

Can it get 70-75 from all other territories for the entire weekend to get to 200m global start? I would flipping hope so.

• Like 1