Grade it  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

i expected this to be more twisty than it was. like we wouldn't know if we could trust what we were seeing cos she was nuts. kinda starts out like that but i felt like not long after she was institutionalized it became pretty straight forward her vs. the hospital/stalker. still it's a good version of that. pretty consistently unnerving and frustrating in the right way. i kinda hate The Crown so this was a "oooohh that's why this girl has hype" performance for me Foy is great. and the iphoneness of it all not as distracting as i thought it would be. there's a voyeuristic quality that fits well obviously and soderbergh still gets some pretty sexy steadicam shots out of it.

btw after colossal last year shoutout to WrathofHan for bagging another villain role this year. watch out for getting typecast though guy.

and matt damon still the king of surprise cameos in 2018.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i expected this to be more twisty than it was. like we wouldn't know if we could trust what we were seeing cos she was nuts. kinda starts out like that but i felt like not long after she was institutionalized it became pretty straight forward her vs. the hospital/stalker. still it's a good version of that. pretty consistently unnerving and frustrating in the right way. i kinda hate The Crown so this was a "oooohh that's why this girl has hype" performance for me Foy is great. and the iphoneness of it all not as distracting as i thought it would be. there's a voyeuristic quality that fits well obviously and soderbergh still gets some pretty sexy steadicam shots out of it.

btw after colossal last year shoutout to WrathofHan for bagging another villain role this year. watch out for getting typecast though guy.

and matt damon still the king of surprise cameos in 2018.

Yeah, those solitary confinement scenes were not comfortable to watch!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

the stalker's reaction when he saw claire foy talking to jay pharoah: 

001.jpg

The stalker as he sees Claire Foy making out with Juno Temple:

"IS THAT HER GIRLFRIEND???????? SHE LOOKS SO MUCH NERDIER THAN I DO!"

• Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i like to think you spent the 40 minutes in between those two posts trying to think of ways you're better than that guy. hey man, good for you.

More like you called Scott Eastwood a cuck in the Pacific Rim thread and then it reminded me of Unsane.

• Like 1

I can't see anything topping this in 2018.  Simply brilliant from start to finish and it genuinely left me feeling shaken and disturbed.  I felt very similar to the way I felt when I watched the original Last House on the Left.  It's a kind of thriller where you see what's going to happen in some instances and yet you pray that it doesn't.  I simply love this film.

9.5/10.....only reason it didn't get a 10 is because of the ending.  I was hoping we would have gotten maybe two minutes where they show how they find her after she's been Paul Sheldoned in the woods and she's crawling around for help.

• Like 1

This movie was great.  So disturbing, because you know there is a lot of truth to it.

But there was a bunch of stuff that made no sense.  First of all, how did he know she'd be at that hospital? He was pretty much working there the next day. You can't get hired that fast. Also you'd never have both female and male patients together in a mental hospital, especially sleeping in the same rooms. And you'd never restrain a patient and leave them in a room with other patients. 

And how did she not know what she was signing? In real life that would need to be explained to her and also if she checked herself in, she could check herself out. Unless she committed a crime or was there involuntarily, she could leave at any point.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Frozen said:

This movie was great.  So disturbing, because you know there is a lot of truth to it.

But there was a bunch of stuff that made no sense.  First of all, how did he know she'd be at that hospital? He was pretty much working there the next day. You can't get hired that fast. Also you'd never have both female and male patients together in a mental hospital, especially sleeping in the same rooms. And you'd never restrain a patient and leave them in a room with other patients. 

And how did she not know what she was signing? In real life that would need to be explained to her and also if she checked herself in, she could check herself out. Unless she committed a crime or was there involuntarily, she could leave at any point.

There's a lot that doesn't make sense.  I agree.  But it's how the film made me feel.  On edge the whole time.  That's what I loved about it.

• Like 3

The movie was so tense to me for the last half, my god.

Also, yeah I totally thought of Han the whole time for the villain.

And god dammit Matt Damon you've surprised me again.

So basically, Coolio's review.

BTW, the shot of her flipping out after getting an extra dosage of drugs was super rad.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I saw this last night.  Have been thinking about it ever since.  I would never watch it again, but I certainly can appreciate and laud its craftsmanship.  Sodebergh's decision to shoot this on an iPhone was a spectacular choice.  It gives the whole thing a feel of, dare I say, a snuff film; which only heightened my anxiety throughout.  Solid B+.

Unsane is the latest evidence of why Steven Soderbergh is such an exciting filmmaker to watch. In what may be the first movie to perhaps rip its premise from a Buzzfeed article (I definitely read something similar to this film's plot as a Buzzfeed expose a year or two ago), Soderbergh crafts a film that simultaneously feels like an intriguing companion piece to his 2013 psychological thriller Side Effects and a more unique, involving, and diabolical thriller than most of what the rest of the industry churns out. The film loses some of its effectiveness when one thinks about the convoluted logistics of its twists, but in the moment, it's an engrossing thriller that keeps the tension high as it moves from scene to scene fluidly. It also works very well in a post-MeToo context with a perhaps not-fully-intentional critique of society's tendency not to listen to survivors of sexual harassment and assault. I had never seen any of Claire Foy's work prior to this point, but based on her raw, impassioned performance here, I can't say I'm surprised that she has won such high acclaim for her work on The Crown; her accent slips every now and again, but she's so committed and ferocious that she never loses the viewer's attention. Blair Witch Project star Joshua Leonard is also terrifically creepy as Foy's character's dreaded stalker who may or may not be present in the institution. The real revelation here, though, is SNL alum Jay Pharaoh in a charismatic dramatic role; I always enjoyed his comedic approach on SNL, but he has a career in serious acting ahead of him if his comedic endeavors don't pan out. Like Soderbergh's previous post-"retirement" film Logan Lucky, it's a shame that audiences have ignored Unsane; for any stretches in credibility its premise (parts of which may be more scarily grounded in truth than one might initially think) or twists may invite, it's a solid thriller that has a near-intoxicating effect as it runs.

B+

Logan Lucky was one of my favourite films last year, Unsane is definitely gonna be one of the best this year. Soderbergh is a genius here, in some ways I think it's his best film. 

• Like 1

Just watched this last night and it was pretty damn great.  A good amount didn't make sense as Frozen has pointed out (I too was like how the hell did stalker David either know she'd be committed or get hired so quickly, but I think there was a conversation he was having with another staff woman about how he was transferred there from another hospital I think?) but it was gripping, uncomfortable, scary and tense as all hell.

Also Claire Foy was simply brilliant/amazing.  I unfortunately expect she'll be forgotten come awards time but she deserves best actress noms from the major awards places.  

I also worried the whole shot on an iphone "gimmick" would bother me but after like 5-10min I adjusted and it was fine (and pretty impressive actually).

Def recommend.  High B+/low A-.

Edited by FTF
  • Like 2

I got pretty lost right away.  When there were mind twists, I was too lost to tell who they were coming from.  By the time bodies piled up and the characters continued to interact like nothing happened, it was hard to balance out what was going on with all the psychosis flying around.  The patients would play things out like nothing happened and be in this relationship boiler time continuum by a script too raw and grounded to escape from.  

The lack of visual effects made a reliance on the acting and writing.  The visual technique of being shot on an iPhone 7 Plus made the picture sharp, but the quick editing and lack of focus took away at a direction of a higher presentation of the interior of the facility. 

The scenes in different rooms when patients interacted did not seem accurate to everyday living within inpatient mental facilities, and the introduction to these scenes seemed to be built around on what the characters were feeling. 

In these movies, whenever the inpatients interact, it seems they are not being treated fairly, and then the outside perspective view would shift.  It is like if one constantly scolds themselves for doing something right. But these are movies about people made by people showing the fallout amongst the collision of so many minds hoping to go somewhere else, but something will not allow them.  And then I think one is to draw comparisons between institution and normal life.

Should the scars of the victims be made transparent, or should it be the scars of the facilities?

The ending makes it seem like another paradoxical impossible task.

Still, Unsane is probably one of the few 'thumbs down' on a 2018 theatrical feature so far.  It was unsettling, but not bad enough to avoid a review.  

Unfriended 2: The Dark Web is at the bottom of my list right now w/ Hotel Transylvania 3 at #2, but HT3 is another one that needs further film and writing knowledge before developing a firmer review.  

Hotel Transylvania 3 - 76

Unsane - 74

Unfriended: The Dark Web - 73

*The acting in Unfriended was top notch and matched the acting in Unsane which is surprising with how I usually position bottom of the list horror movies.  Slender Man will likely compete here as well and if it is a tie and Slender Man has the better acting, then it might outperform this list.

Edited by dmatrixfilmdx

This might be my favorite of Soderbergh's "let's experiment" movies. I wasn't really into it at the start when it was about if she is or isn't crazy but the moment it locked in on the stalker, it got more harrowing and uncomfortable with every minute that passed. Especially their first encounter in the blue room is one of the best sequences of Bergh's entire career, the tension was suffocating.

Claire Foy was great and the other 2 main characters were just as good as her, they all sell the heightened reality of it pretty well. That's why I didn't bother with the logistics of the plot which are super silly stuff, but it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

Unsane is a strikingly enthralling thriller. The twisty scripts tackles mental health, insurance scams, and the ideas of the “nice guy” related to stalking with much aplomb. The iPhone cinematography gives it a uniquely paranoid look and Soderbergh’s direction is on point. Foy delivers a truly incredible performance, the first great one of 2018, making her character magnetic in her own confused way. Pharaoh and Leonard also make the most of their supporting roles in memorable ways.

Sadly, the third act goes off the rails, becoming more exploitative than one would expect and much more rote than the film that proceeds it. Unsane is still a thriller that’s well worth checking out, thanks to its strong cast and one-of-a-kind subject matter, but the ending will leave one disappointingly unsatisfied. B