Fancyarcher

Tuesday Numbers: Tomb Raider - 2.72m

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

To be fair, no one was.

There was one poster in the BP thread calling for $500m and everyone, I mean everyone, was like: Dude relax it'll do good business but you're talking crazy numbers. 

I'm not ashamed to say I was one of them. I thought BP doing $350m was the ceiling and I'm a CBM fan who loves to root for an underdog.

Black Panther just broke way, way out!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

Gitesh must be expecting a drop of at least 49% on average for BP for the next four days compared to the same days last week.  

BP current domestic gross (through Tuesday, March 20, 2018):  $610MM

Last week: BP domestic gross from Wednesday through Saturday:  $26.517MM

Avengers (unadjusted) domestic gross:  $623.35791MM

Needed to pass Avengers domestic gross:  $13.358MM

In order for Gitesh's tweet to ring true, a drop of 49.6% for the total gross of BP's prior Wednesday through Saturday is needed in order for BP to not pass Avengers on Saturday, I am optimistic that BP can pass Avengers 2012 Domestic (unadjusted) gross after its Saturday gross.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

If that 10M weekend pans out for Tomb Raider, it'll have one of the lowest PTAs in the top 12:

1. Pacific Rim: $7,027 (26M, 3,700 theaters)
  2. I Can Only Imagine: $5,100 (10.2M, 2,000 theaters)
  3. Black Panther: $4,545 (15M, 3,300 theaters)
  4. Sherlock Gnomes: $4,372 (16M, 3,660 theaters)
  5. Paul: $4,000 (5.6M, 1,400 theaters)
  6. Love, Simon: $3,160 (7.9M, 2,500 theaters)
  7. Unsane: $3,000 (6M, 2,000 theaters)
  8. Tomb Raider: $2,595 (10M, 3,854 theaters)
  9. Wrinkle in Time: $2,407 (6.5M, 2,700 theaters)
  10. Game Night: $1,750 (3.3M, 1,900 theaters)
  11. Peter Rabbit: $1,609 (3.7M, 2,300 theaters)
  12. Midnight Sun: $1,500 (3M, 2,000 theaters)

:hahaha: 

No way Pacific Rim opens to that much

57 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

To be fair, no one was.

There was one poster in the BP thread calling for $500m and everyone, I mean everyone, was like: Dude relax it'll do good business but you're talking crazy numbers. 

I'm not ashamed to say I was one of them. I thought BP doing $350m was the ceiling and I'm a CBM fan who loves to root for an underdog.

Black Panther just broke way, way out!

500m+ seemed obvious to me a couple weeks prior to release and 600 definitely seemed possible once reviews hit. As far as pre pre-sales though, yeah I don't think anyone was predicting 500+. Back then I thought it could do CW/IM3 #'s, and that seemed like a huge prediction at the time. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

500m+ seemed obvious to me a couple weeks prior to release and 600 definitely seemed possible once reviews hit. As far as pre pre-sales though, yeah I don't think anyone was predicting 500+. I thought it could do CW/IM3 #'s and that seemed like a huge prediction at the time. 

Exactly one person called for 700m DOM around a month before release.  Not going to name names, but I was among the people who said "really, c'mon now". :blush:

re: AWiT:

Second Tuesday  Comps:

Oz (2012): +13.4

Cinderella (2015): +21.8

BatB (2017): +34.2

Throw out Oz because of Discount Tuesday and slightly discount Cinderella.  Still a great jump.

Gonna be a brutal Wed drop for AWiT though! :o

2 days in a row below Tomorrowland now for Wrinkle with more than 3M behind, 90M could be hard I imagine Eastern weekend will be very important (WiT monday drop was really intense).

Edited by Barnack

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Since it hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet:

- (4) A Wrinkle in Time Walt Disney $1,680,532 +54% 3,980 $422   $63,526,072 12

WIT sees a great Tuesday increase again, but this means that a horrible Wednesday drop is coming like last week again. It will be hurt badly this weekend as PLF and 3D screen loss will eat into it.

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Exactly one person called for 700m DOM around a month before release.  Not going to name names, but I was among the people who said "really, c'mon now". :blush:

All I know is tracking was giving every indication a 200 OW could be possible a couple weeks out to anyone reading the signs. And why would it miss 500 with that kind of an OW and not being a sequel/team up movie? I can't speak for others, just saying 500 seemed very obvious to me several weeks out and I know I expressed that in multiple threads. 

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

2 days in a row below Tomorrowland now for Wrinkle with more than 3M behind, 90M could be hard I imagine Eastern weekend will be very important (WiT monday drop was really intense).

Tomorrowland was already in June by this time in its run.  Might be slightly off to use it as a comp. That's one of the reasons I haven't been looking at a day-to-day comp between AWiT and TL, no matter how tempting it is for me to do so.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

TL had a lot of bad weekend holds though until the  very tail end of its run. WiT already seems to be doing better during weekends and it has a holiday weekend for its third frame, unlike TL.

Both BP and ICOI had showings start 20 minutes ago at one of the local theaters I frequent. BP sold 15 tickets. ICOI sold 40. BP has staggered times on two total screens whereas ICOI is playing on only one. Several other theaters in the metro are playing ICOI so it’s not like they are limited to this one cineplex. 

I am wondering if ICOI’s patrons think the film is only playing for a week so they are rushing out to see it this week. I am at a loss to explain why it is performing so well apart from it being a massive crowd pleaser for its core fans.

Edited by LonePirate