Fancyarcher

Tuesday Numbers: Tomb Raider - 2.72m

7 minutes ago, ban1o said:

mm love simon is pacing only slightly ahead of Everything Everything right now...which is really not good considering that had way less hype and had mediocre reviews. 

There is no doubt that Love, Simon is underperforming given the outstanding A+ Cinemascore, its Rotten Tomatoes score in the low 90s and exceptional WOM from those who have seen it. Unfortunately, the reason for its underperformance is pretty clear. 

Anybody who enjoys a good rom com (I am guilty as charged here!) or a high school/young adult movie should go see LS. Were it not for one F bomb and a couple of other profanities, this film could easily be mistaken for a PG film from Disney. It is sweet, fun, emotional, wholesome and life-affirming. The performances and writing are solid plus anyone who has ever experienced a first love can relate to it. 

LS should have been a $100M hit. It will be lucky to earn 1/3 of that domestically. SAD!!!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

There is no doubt that Love, Simon is underperforming given the outstanding A+ Cinemascore, its Rotten Tomatoes score in the low 90s and exceptional WOM from those who have seen it. Unfortunately, the reason for its underperformance is pretty clear. 

Anybody who enjoys a good rom com (I am guilty as charged here!) or a high school/young adult movie should go see LS. Were it not for one F bomb and a couple of other profanities, this film could easily be mistaken for a PG film from Disney. It is sweet, fun, emotional, wholesome and life-affirming. The performances and writing are solid plus anyone who has ever experienced a first love can relate to it. 

LS should have been a $100M hit. It will be lucky to earn 1/3 of that domestically. SAD!!!

It really is sad. It had everything going for it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Yes it really sucks. The film is so good. It seemed like the perfect film to break out :( A+ cinemascore, great reviews, timely message, great audience reaction. Everyone who I know that has seen it loved it. I really don't get it's boxoffice performance so far.  I'm recommending all my friends to se it. I'm hoping we can start seeing evidence of great legs soon. I still have hope for like 50 million. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, ban1o said:

mm love simon is pacing only slightly ahead of Everything Everything right now...which is really not good considering that had way less hype and had mediocre reviews. 

I think we have to wait until this Sunday to see where it is going. I am not calling this a loss until after the weekend number comes in. I can definitely see this being a slow move and I think there wasn't a rush factor to see it outside of its core audience hence it opened with $11.8M opening weekend not high teens. Anything under a 35% drop is solid and means legs are kicking in. If it drops over 40% though....well its over :( I am hoping for 40M+

If you look at high school dramas/comedies this is performing with in the genre limits so it isn't like anything outside of the norm is happening. I think this will have a strong following and be looked back on as a quintessential 2010's high school flick...much like the Breakfast Club. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

If you look at high school dramas/comedies this is performing with in the genre limits so it isn't like anything outside of the norm is happening. I think this will have a strong following and be looked back on as a quintessential 2010's high school flick...much like the Breakfast Club. 

This and The Edge of Seventeen (which appears to have found the audience it was cruelly robbed of in theaters) are the teen movies from this decade (set in this decade) that will have the longest shelf lives (The Fault in Our Stars was already a blockbuster and Easy A doesn't fully count since it was shot in 2009).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

I think we have to wait until this Sunday to see where it is going. I am not calling this a loss until after the weekend number comes in. I can definitely see this being a slow move and I think there wasn't a rush factor to see it outside of its core audience hence it opened with $11.8M opening weekend not high teens. Anything under a 35% drop is solid and means legs are kicking in. If it drops over 40% though....well its over :( I am hoping for 40M+

Simon definitely needs to pull a lucky rabbit buried somewhere in that hoodie of his this weekend or else the film runs the risk of being deemed a failure. The rom com genre was comatose before its release and it may not awaken from its slumber anytime soon if Simon doesn't start growing some legs. Not only that but films with LGBTQ+ lead characters will be relegated to the arthouse circuit if LS cannot turn it around (especially if Deadpool remains heterosexualized).

The only saving grace I can think of right now (apart from LS likely obtaining cult status) is that every actor in the film, the writers and the director will all be able to use this film beneficially on their resumes. LS will only help each and every one of their careers given the quality of the work they turned in and the respect the film has earned from its fans (and probably from those in the industry as well). Several of the young actors are likely to move on to big careers with Robinson possibly becoming another Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise. The writers will be asked to adapt or create more scripts. Berlanti will be directing/producing more feature films. They certainly deserve it. The movie business is a strange one at times.

• Like 1