Fancyarcher

Wednesday Numbers - Tomb Raider - 1.64m, Game Night - $590k

8 minutes ago, misterchief81 said:

In reality, it's already been passed. It's original run was epic. Cameron should have left it at that.

Titanic made close to 350m since it's epic 1.83b first run, I mean I can imagine one person/studio obsessed with box office history and what not.... but leaving 350m box office (and all a spike on the other product they have) on the table for it ;) 

Specially that no big movies in box office history didn't had many re-release I would imagine, if you are Titanic competition worthy you should be able to sustain a re-release in 15 year's or whatever when the next gimmick will be popular.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Specially that no big movies in box office history didn't had many re-release I would imagine, if you are Titanic competition worthy you should be able to sustain a re-release in 15 year's or whatever when the next gimmick will be popular.

You know, Titanic will very likely be re-re-released whenever VRovision or whatever comes around. And make another few hundred million.

• Like 2

I'm not saying that Paramount didn't want the money, and 50 mil domestic, and 300 intl was a nice haul for them. And I know Mojo counts re-releases toward a title's box office gross. But we all know what it did the first time. Also,  I just hate 3D conversions and any 3D re-release (including Jurassic Park and Episode 1).

1.9 on Thu will give BP 614 cume. 40% drop over FSS will give it a 16 weekend for 630 cume. Less than 30 away from Titanic. Adding 1.8x the 6th weekend more to it's run is a walk in the park for most movies, nevermind the one with such good legs. Even if the weekend comes down to 14-15, it will beat Titanic without breaking a sweat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

A 32.59% drop is not nearly as bad of a drop as I was suspecting AWiT would get coming off a 53.6% Discount Tuesday bump.  Probably will mean a slightly depressed Thr though.

Last Wed it had a 32.92% drop coming off a mid 40s Discount Tuesday bump.

Not gonna make any prediction on legs, but it certainly isn't the terribad number I was suspecting for Wed.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Deadpool made about 30m more after its 5th week which was about 15.6m giving it 1.91 legs. If BP manages the same it will make about 46m more which will get it to 675m. 

BP is gonna need about 1.25 legs from 5th week onwards which is a lot less than Deadpool managed. That is about 45% weekly falls. To compare that to Deadpool, that had many weekly falls which were in the 30’s and some were in the 20’s. 

BP also has theatre advantage over Deadpool in that it is in about 500 more theatres than Deadpool was at the same point in time. So it can manage to lose more theatres than Deadpool and still stay competitive. 

Overall I think BP should get to above Titanic unless it starts falling 50% or more every week

1 hour ago, misterchief81 said:

Not to mention, Titanic is only where it is because of it's BS 3D re-release. In reality, it's already been passed. It's original run was epic. Cameron should have left it at that.

Yes he shouldn't have re-released his film because it would mess up box office stats...

A week ago was anybody predicting ICOI would surpass TR in the dailies on day 6? I didn’t think so. 

I do not know a single person who has seen it but there is a segment of the population determined to see the movie as if tomorrow was the beginning of the end of days.

13 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

A week ago was anybody predicting ICOI would surpass TR in the dailies on day 6? I didn’t think so. 

I do not know a single person who has seen it but there is a segment of the population determined to see the movie as if tomorrow was the beginning of the end of days.

Today too, it looks like. Tombraider is currently outside of the top 5 on Movie Tickets, it's

ICOI

PR

BP

Avengers

AWIT

But Paul is starting to show up on pulse, and that might impact ICOI

Edited by trifle

1 hour ago, misterchief81 said:

Not to mention, Titanic is only where it is because of it's BS 3D re-release. In reality, it's already been passed. It's original run was epic. Cameron should have left it at that.

Look, Yes the 3D release gave it a domestic bump but I don't penalize the film for that (A New Hope and Phantom Menace got re-release bumps too).  Matter of fact, Menace and Jurassic Park's re-releases got them over 1 Billion Worldwide.   Titanic's re-release got it over 2 Billion Worldwide.  If a Film has an audience 15 or 20 years later, then the film has that audience.  It's original run was 600 Million though yes.   Also "Avatar" proves Cameron shouldn't of left after that but yes he would of left on Top had he did it then.   If They re-release BP in 15-20 years, it too might get a Domestic Bump as well.  

Edited by filmscholar

10 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

BP is LOKCED to pass JW ;)

Jurassic is definitely going down, but they got a sequel in the chamber coming off a wildly successful reboot.   After many underestimated it last time, don't count out the Pop Culture Force that is "Jurassic Park".  One other milestone is if it can get to "Avengers" Adjusted.  It's about 90 Million away after Wed's gross:

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Release
1 Marvel's The Avengers BV $705,769,500 $623,357,910 5/4/12
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A 32.59% drop is not nearly as bad of a drop as I was suspecting AWiT would get coming off a 53.6% Discount Tuesday bump.  Probably will mean a slightly depressed Thr though.

Last Wed it had a 32.92% drop coming off a mid 40s Discount Tuesday bump.

It is still a -56% drop from Wednesday of last week, does not look really good no ?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2018-03-21&sort=perc_lw&order=ASC&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2018-03-21&sort=daynum&order=ASC&p=.htm

Dropping a bit worst than Strangers prey at night...