Box Office Hit

Peppermint | September 7, 2018 | STX | Jennifer Garner

Wasn't the Death Wish remake dismissed/bashed by a lot of people for allegedly being "pro alt right," "pro gun" and racist?

It will be interesting to see how people respond to a film in which, once again, a heroic white protagonist mows down a bunch of those evil people of color for being evil. 

Personally, I was hoping for the villains NOT to be people of color, and I am surprised that in 2018, especially with the anti-Latino narrative that the age of Trumpster has brought forth, a film like this was greenlit.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Wasn't the Death Wish remake dismissed/bashed by a lot of people for allegedly being "pro alt right," "pro gun" and racist?

It will be interesting to see how people respond to a film in which, once again, a heroic white protagonist mows down a bunch of those evil people of color for being evil. 

Personally, I was hoping for the villains NOT to be people of color, and I am surprised that in 2018, especially with the anti-Latino narrative that the age of Trumpster has brought forth, a film like this was greenlit.

To be fair, the film implies that a lot of Anglo officials are just as bad as the cartels.

Let's see the film before making judgements. Or are you denying how powerful the drug cartels have become?

It's wrong to tag all latinos as criminals, but let's not repeat the "if you say there is such a thing as the Mafia you are Anti Italian "nonsense.

1 hour ago, StevenG said:

Didn't you say that Wonder Woman looked bad? Yeah, I will definitely not trust your opinions when it comes to action heroine films...

No. He said the third act in Wonder Woman was bad. He never said it looked bad nor that the movie itself was bad. He even predicted it to do really well at the box office....which it did. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJG said:

This is such s Punisher clone that her family also end up dead by accidentally being in the crossfire during a nice day out at the park.

And the Punisher started out as a clone of the very popular..in the 70's..paperback series of novels called "The Executioner:War Against The Mafia" about a ex Green Beret whose family is killed by the Mob,and when the law is powerless, declares war on the Mafia and the official who shield them. There were well over a 100 books in the series. No wonder Marvel saw gold in that plotline.

• Like 1

Looks cheap and sends an irresponsible message, people are not above the law and shouldn't do justice by themselves. The criminals in the story are victims of a racist and unfair society and were driven to commit crime in order to survive. This woman will never come close to Jennifer Lopez and is now embarrassing herself playing this awful character who think it's ok to take human lives.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Looks cheap and sends an irresponsible message, people are not above the law and shouldn't do justice by themselves. The criminals in the story are victims of a racist and unfair society and were driven to commit crime in order to survive. This woman will never come close to Jennifer Lopez and is now embarrassing herself playing this awful character who think it's ok to take human lives.

Please, just about every Comic Book movie ever made is about somebody taking the law into their own hands.

And remember how Batman in "B vS" a movie I know you love, racks up a pretty good body count of criminals.

And don't try to make me pity the drug cartel bosses. They are among the most ruthless and bloody criminals in history it you bother to read the news. Just ask anybody in Columbia about them.

Huge fail.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Wow that's a really wide-spectrum critique there. 

Consider the source. Napoleon has a certain reputation here.

I love the "We must pity the poor drug cartle bosses " bit.

1 hour ago, Alli said:

That is a brutal insult. :stretcher:

Napoleon is a pretty big Affleck fan, and the divorce between  Affleck  and Garner was not pretty. That might have something to do with this...

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1