Eric Atreides

Easter Weekend Thread: Official Weekend Actuals: RPO $41.8M ($53.7M 4-Day), Acrimony $17.2M, BP $11.5M, ICOI $10.4M, PRU $9.4M, IOD $2.9M, GND3 $2.7M

40 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

GI Joe 2 did $122m on a $51m four day opening so I think RPO has a shot of doing more than that even with Rampage two weeks later 

Yeah, but I doubt this has GI Joe's sub-50% 2nd weekend drop, as it probably has rush factor from the novel's fanbase + the niche audience it appeals to. And RPO has much more competition (not just Rampage, but Infinity War 4 weeks later). If it crosses 100M, I'm not expecting it to be by a whole lot.

It does make a difference if previews are on Wednesday imo. We have been conditioned to know that previews are now on a Thursday so having them come out on Wednesday means even less people being informed, that's how I see it at least.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

why would it matter whether the previews are on a wednesday or a thursday? 

I imagine people more used to them being a Thursday (with almost every movie having them) ? If only rabid fans goes to them regardless of the day they are it would make no difference but I am not sure it is the case now they are the norm and not midnight one.

Edited by Barnack

Why release it on a Thursday and make it a less fun, harder thing to track? Yes I know tomorrow is Good Friday but anyone who has off tomorrow is going to see it....tonight? when they would have seen it with previews anyway? I mean I know it makes zero difference to the studio, I'm just bitter. I always hate non 3-day openings. Hate it around the 4th of July too. 

• Like 1

From BOM:

Ready Player One is off and running, bringing in $3.75 million from Wednesday night previews in ~3,500 location. While there aren't a lot of comparisons to make when it comes to Thursday night previews, the two primary comparisons we used in our preview below were Star Trek Into Darkness and G.I. Joe: Retaliation which brought in $2 million and $2.5 million respectively.

In fact, Ready Player One's Thursday preview gross is also larger than the $3 million brought in by Terminator Salvation, which finished with $55 million for the four-day and $42.5 million for its opening three-day.

• Like 2

Just now, MaxAggressor said:

From BOM:

Ready Player One is off and running, bringing in $3.75 million from Wednesday night previews in ~3,500 location. While there aren't a lot of comparisons to make when it comes to Thursday night previews, the two primary comparisons we used in our preview below were Star Trek Into Darkness and G.I. Joe: Retaliation which brought in $2 million and $2.5 million respectively.

In fact, Ready Player One's Thursday preview gross is also larger than the $3 million brought in by Terminator Salvation, which finished with $55 million for the four-day and $42.5 million for its opening three-day.

The Terminator comparison is completely useless since that movie came out almost a decade ago when preview showings were a number of years away from becoming a thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Mad Panda said:

Could ICOI get an Easter bump?

I think there is a chance that its gross this F-S will exceed the $13.6M from last weekend. A worst case scenario for it will be the smallest drop of any of the holdovers. Church groups continue to flock to the movie and they love hitting the theaters to support their films on Good Friday and Easter.

43 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Why release it on a Thursday and make it a less fun, harder thing to track? Yes I know tomorrow is Good Friday but anyone who has off tomorrow is going to see it....tonight? when they would have seen it with previews anyway? I mean I know it makes zero difference to the studio, I'm just bitter. I always hate non 3-day openings. Hate it around the 4th of July too. 

There are a lot of schools that get out early today.  

• Like 6

Just now, EmpireCity said:

There are a lot of schools that get out early today.  

I never even got school off for Good Friday until at least my sophomore year of high school, and I went to public schools my whole life. Has this holiday seen a sudden increase in prominence? Don't ever remember it being a thing at the box office till like Furious 7, either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Are you combining A Quiet Place and Blockers into one movie, and counting RPO's entire four day? If so, very correct.

Nahhhh I think A Quiet Place surprises and gets to $50M.  Also don't see why RPO couldn't reach 50M for the 4-day