baumer

Isle of Dogs (2018)

Grade it  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I liked it, but it might be my least favorite Wes Anderson film. 

Its visually incredible, but it’s themes are laid out in such a direct, unambiguous manner that it lacks the more subtle - and rewarding - complexities that his previous films had in spades.

And for something more relatively earnest, it never feels as compelling as it should. The reveal about Spots and Chief doesn’t have as much weight as it should, and Kobayashi’s change of heart feels really forced. Also, I’m not sure about the cultural appropriation stuff, but the way it handles Japanese cutler feels pretty cringeworthy at times.

Its fun to watch, even if just for the visuals, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed.

B/B-

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I know everyone is reviewing their thoughts on this in wake of the cultural appropriate controversy (?), but, as messy as that is, this is really dull and wouldn't be worth defending anyway.

Great Desplat score though.

I feel like part of the reason I talk about the Cultural stuff is that the movie felt pretty flat in a lot of its other aspects, and it’s one of the few things (good or bad) that legitimately stood out about it.

Its just kind of.....there.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this, but the story is too long-winded to make it a great film. At the same time, I wouldn't really change much about it, so Anderson did his job I suppose. I'm bound to buy the Criterion Blu in 2-3 years anyways :lol: 8.5/10 | B+

Visually great....but like everyone else said nothing seems to really stand out. I still kind of liked it, but after Anderson's others movies, kind of disappointed. Lacked depth. 

The human characters were all flat and uninteresting. I didn't think Anderson spent any time developing them. The dogs were okay but problem is the screentime shows tons of humans, so yeah this wasn't a great balance. 

B

• Like 1

Isle of Dogs is another fascinatingly intriguing Wes Anderson movie. This is full-blown Anderson at his finest, allowing his rich imagination to totally transport us to a new world. Fantastic Mr. Fox introduced to him the unending scope of animation, but Isle of Dogs takes it up a notch, telling a truly epic tale of man’s best friend, humanity, corrupt governments, and what it means to love in a truly cruel world. It’s a gorgeous film, with every frame packed with detail and some of the most smoothly animated stop-motion ever.

Anderson’s vision of a dystopian future is breathtaking, anchored by a great ensemble. Murray and Schreiber are easily the highlights of the cast, but none of it would matter without Cranston’s surprisingly soulful performance. It’s impossible to imagine anyone doing Chief’s complex character better; Cranston’s delivery of a monologue halfway through the film is breathtakingly well-performed for a celebrity voice-over. Desplat’s score is memorable as usual, and the whole film effortlessly moves along through its 100-minute runtime with excellent pacing and solid jokes.

Of course, there is one big problem with the film that most people have come to agree on: Greta Gerwig’s character is a total misfire. Not only does she represent the worst of the film’s cultural appropriation, being a white savior in a movie that otherwise smartly leaves the English to the dogs and a translator, but she’s utterly useless. Her subplot does not affect the main characters and is just unneeded exposition that makes the world of the film feel smaller than it needs to be. If there was a cut of this film with her scenes completely excised, this would easily be one of Anderson’s best.

As it is, Isle of Dogs a very enjoyable piece of actually sophisticated adult animation, telling a memorable, heartfelt story in the way only Wes Anderson could. It’s a shame it has that horrific subplot, but the whole of the film transcends that, avoiding the trash pile to become a very nice cinematic treat well worth fetching tickets for. A-