baumer

A Quiet Place (2018)

Grade it  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

5 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm giving it a B or a 7/10 because it's well acted, I liked the score and the suspense was palpable.  But if I let this sit for a day or two, I'd probably come back and give it a 6 simply because it's one of the dumber horror movies I've seen.  And this is coming from someone who has seen some grade Z horror movies with budgets of about $17.00.

You live in a world that is predicated on silence yet you decide to have a baby?  This is the most egregiously stupid part of the of the film.  The is original Strangers kind of stupid.  Babies are loud and there is nothing you can do about it.  They cry, they get up at all hours of the night and even if you have some kind of sound proof hiding place for them, the risk is too great.

Then you have the opening death.  The little kid walks at the very back of the family?  Nope.  Sorry, that would never happen.  These characters were so concerned about sound and yet they let their daughter walk by herself?  Nope.

The father goes out searching for the kids, but doesn't bring his shot gun?  Instead he brings nothing but a flashlight.  

And why did they have one gun?  Why not an arsenal of them?

The newspaper clippings did say they were indestructible.  And yet she can blast them with a shotgun and it dies?  If they did have this kind of weakness, then why wasn't there some kind of military blitzkrieg to eliminate them?

Maybe I missed something but where did all the water come from?  It flooded the basement up to her waist and yet she didn't hear it come down?

The suspense was well done and it was very well directed in these parts but the stupidity of it just took me out of it.    It's hard for me to say this because I like Bay and Fuller and I like Platinum Dunes work but this one kind of disappointed me.  So I guess my actual grade for now is 6.5/10

That's horror movies for you.  "Let's get into the running car!"  "No, let's hide behind those chain saws!", "Good idea!". 

I saw the baby plot hole after the preview showing her in the tub going into labor.  I'm glad you've confirmed that it wasn't just me who thought that was unworkable.

I'm not really a fan of gimmicky movies anyway, the silence being the gimmick in this case.  I also assume that all you hear the entire movie is munching popcorn, and idiots whispering to each other, which is annoying enough in movies with dialog.  Then the theaters in many multiplex's suffer from bleed through sound, so if you're next to an action movie your screwed.

I think I'm going to pass, anyway I wouldn't want to have to get up and dump somebodies popcorn on their head. 

I think I'll go see Isle of Dogs.

• Like 1

I saw it on a Monday afternoon with about 25 people in the theatre.....I specifically waited until I knew I could see it with a small crowd.  It was a quiet crowd, so I appreciated that.

I think there's a plausible explanation for all the plotholes in the movie but I'm not fanatical enough about it to write up a defense thinkpiece.

The gimmick goes very far in making it an entertaining experience imo. Some of the jump scares and music crescendo red herrings made me roll my eyes but I thought it had a very original and compelling story.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I think there's a plausible explanation for all the plotholes in the movie but I'm not fanatical enough about it to write up a defense thinkpiece.

The gimmick goes very far in making it an entertaining experience imo. Some of the jump scares and music crescendo red herrings made me roll my eyes but I thought it had a very original and compelling story.

And that's cool.  If the film worked for you and you can get around all of the stuff I had a problem with, then that's great.  But you can't make me understand why it's a good idea to have a baby in a time when sound equals death.

10 hours ago, baumer said:

And that's cool.  If the film worked for you and you can get around all of the stuff I had a problem with, then that's great.  But you can't make me understand why it's a good idea to have a baby in a time when sound equals death.

They did have plan for when the baby was born.  I imagine they were grieving from the loss of their other child and wanted to make up for it.  Plus I’m not complaining because it made for an awesome setpiece.

Or maybe the rubber just broke :ph34r: 

• Like 1

Not into horror movies at all (The Truth or Dare trailer before the movie reminded me why) but decided to check this out because of the hype and reviews. Lived up to it for the most part. 

Postives

- The opening scene was perfect. Thought it was going to be predictable but they actually killed off the dumb kid. Superb

- Great performances all around especially Emily Blunt (She had the most tense scenes and kept you on the edge on your seat). Not sure why she didn't make 2 trips from the the basement but wtv. 

- Pacing was great and they maintained the suspense throughout. Never really dragged at any parts. 

- Gimmick was well executed and the creature design was cool. 

Negatives

- No explanation on how/where the monsters came or what the military even tried to counter them unless I missed something in the newspaper shots. No one could figure out their weakness except a small family on a farm?

- Lots of plot conveniences like Emily Blunt managing to survive the pain from the nail, giving birth all while hiding from the creature. I thought babies started crying right out the womb. 

- Other weird decisions like letting the kid run around like an idiot in the opening scene and then then not keeping an eye on him walking back home. 

Overall the execution and performances made up for most of the the problems and I would say its the best new release I've watched this year so far. I'll give it a 9/10 A 

Execution wise I’d give it an A

It has some really good intense moments. It’s very well acted, especially Blunt, and directed. BUT...

Some Of the things that happen don’t really make a whole lot of sense. 

Why in the world would you have a baby?! The steps you would have to take to ensure almost no noise was made would be crazy hard and it would be a pretty strong chance that something would go wrong and people would die. There’s no way you would know exactly when her water would break and she’s go into labor. Due dates don’t really mean anything. A child could pop out at any time for a thousand reasons lol

When she’s in the tub and screams out, the creature is like 5 feet from her. There’s no way those fireworks would have stopped it from attacking her. It would have been on her in a split second. 

In earlier parts we see characters running running along the paths covered by sand and never getting attacked; yet when the dad and the kids are heading back to the barn after the silo scene he makes them run to the truck after he hears a noise in the corn field. Why? They were on the path. All they had to do was keep walking. Also, how did he not hear the creature coming through the corn field and then climbing on the roof of the really old and rickety structure he was standing right next to? And, why did it go there and attack him? He didn’t make any kind of loud noise. All he did was take a couple of pretty quite steps and slowly and pretty quietly pull the axe out. It’s established earlier on that small, tiny sounds are safe. 

The daughter turning off her hearing aid felt WAAAAAAY too convenient for that same scene so the father would have to sacrifice himself to save the kids. I felt like after it happened a second time that the creature freaked out when it was a couple feet from her, that she would have realized what was happening and NOT turned it off. Instead, she conveniently doesn’t put two and two together until the end. 

Because of these things I’d have to knock it down to a B/B+ range. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I can't remember feeling this tense in a movie. Emily Blunt is sensational.

A

THAT FUCKING NAIL.

I was in the toilet when she stepped on the nail. How did she manage it, she knew it was there cause it tore the bag. You know it's gonna be stepped on when you see it but why is she so stupid? :huh:

4 hours ago, Treeze Rutledge said:

I was in the toilet when she stepped on the nail. How did she manage it, she knew it was there cause it tore the bag. You know it's gonna be stepped on when you see it but why is she so stupid? :huh:

Apparently carrying a bag of laundry up the stairs managed to uproot the nail.  It's another silly plot piece.  

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

Apparently carrying a bag of laundry up the stairs managed to uproot the nail.  It's another silly plot piece.  

Yeah, I know how it got there, I mean Emily Blunts character knew it got lifted up too so dont know why she stepped on it.

I thought a lot of this film had pretty contrived moments. The hearing aid thing was ridiculous and really took me out of the movie.

• Like 1