baumer

A Quiet Place (2018)

Grade it  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

You talking about silly plot pieces is so ironic. 

It is weird. I usually love everything PD puts out and I liked this one but the stupid things really took me out of the movie.

15 hours ago, Treeze Rutledge said:

Yeah, I know how it got there, I mean Emily Blunts character knew it got lifted up too so dont know why she stepped on it.

I thought a lot of this film had pretty contrived moments. The hearing aid thing was ridiculous and really took me out of the movie.

She didn't know. There's like no indication that she did. Besides that, when she was walking down the stairs she was already in labor iirc so her mind was occupied. As for the hearing aid, it would make sense that creatures that hunt by sound would be sensitive to sound waves/frequencies. 

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like a lot of the criticisms in here are nothing but nitpicks. This is exactly the kind of movie where you have to just go with it or else you might as well just check out early.

Yea, exactly. 

Their decision to get pregnant may have seemed stupid (and probably was), but I could see it stemming from the grief they had for losing Beau.

I dug this movie. Pretty effective where it needs to be even if it doesn’t answer every question we have. That, and the sound editing is legitimately terrific. 

Not sure theres much else to say, but it’s just pretty well done.

23 hours ago, Isle of Pasta said:

Their decision to get pregnant may have seemed stupid (and probably was), but I could see it stemming from the grief they had for losing Beau.

I dug this movie. Pretty effective where it needs to be even if it doesn’t answer every question we have. That, and the sound editing is legitimately terrific. 

Not sure theres much else to say, but it’s just pretty well done.

It's not a matter of being smart or stupid. It's a matter of being HUMAN. You can't expect humans to be on the ball 100% of the time. You can't expect humans to keep their emotions locked away all the time.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2018 at 8:00 AM, Isle of Pasta said:

I think the day count clearly show that she became pregnant before they knew about the monster invasion, human pregnancy is about 40 weeks/280 days.

They lost Beau occurred around day 86 and the rest of the movies occur around day 275/276, if I remember correctly.

For the movies, I feel a nice high concept that do not land to something, way too many jump scare (maybe it work with a large crowd too, but I watched it yesterday), I preferred It come at night.

Still the world building, the characters, the execution  make it a very engaging and fun watch for the most part of it's running time, acting is solid all around.

The rules were hard to make so I went completely with it without problems, I did not feel much issues while watching but I was happy they waited to the end to show that guns work really well against them and for them, you have the trade off to attract many of them while using them. 

Edited by Barnack

Atm I would give it A- which could slip to a B+ in future viewings when the novelty wears off, because a lot of the allure of the movie for me was a great premise/gimmick executed with excellence from the pacing and suspense to the emotional moments and great performances. Thematically it is a little thin and a little obvious but it doesn't matter because despite the "high concept" it feels modest in its goals and not going for BIG IMPORTANT STUFF. And it works like gangbusters because of it.

The plot nitpicks also do not register for me at all, I don't watch any movie with that mindset, and it's one of the cases where you can find holes everywhere or nowhere at all. I had absolutely no question about where the monsters come from or how a baby cries or not when it's convenient. 

I don't know where Jim from the Office goes from here as a director, his previous movies were all kinds of mediocre bullshit, but here he made something special. Krasinsky-Blunt deserve all the success and praise coming their way for this movie.

So for now A-.

Listened to your podcast @Jay Hollywood.  Good job, as always.  I do disagree with your criticism of people like me who had a problem with them having a baby.  I'm not going to get into it because I'm not going to change your mind, but if the story itself is not something that seems realistic enough then it takes me out of it.  That whole plot piece took me out of the movie.

But I digress.  

On 4/20/2018 at 7:11 PM, Barnack said:

I think the day count clearly show that she became pregnant before they knew about the monster invasion, human pregnancy is about 40 weeks/280 days.

The lost Beau occurred around day 86 and the rest of the movies occur around day 275/276, if I remember correctly.

For the movies, I feel a nice high concept that do not land to something, way too many jump scare (maybe it work with a large crowd too, but I watched it yesterday), I preferred It come at night.

Still the world building, the characters, the execution  make it a very engaging and fun watch for the most part of it's running time, acting is solid all around.

The rules were hard to make so I went completely with it without problems, I did not feel much issues while watching but I was happy they waited to the end to show that guns work really well against them and for them, you have the trade off to attract many of them while using them. 

Pretty sure it was day 470-something when the story resumed, so about 12 months after their child was killed-she wasn't pregnant when it happened.

The story doesn't really address if the pregnancy was planned: it's not unheard of for parents who've lost a child to want to have another, but it's the worst time ever to bring an infant into the world. Obviously by the time it's a couple of weeks before her due date, they have a firm strategy in place for hiding the sound of a screaming baby, but 8+ months ago, this could have been a heck of an unwelcome shock. Well, if this was an oops thing, why continue with the pregnancy, some might say, but the family was shown saying grace before dinner, so they're probably religious to some degree, and even if they weren't, it's not a decision everyone is fine to go through with, apocalypse or not. Maybe they planned it, maybe the expired condoms were faulty. Where would they do it, anyway? Even if you don't make any audible sounds in the act...um, the act is not without noise...

And I'm guessing that the "IT'S SOUND!" cover of the New York Post was the last edition before the noise from the printing presses got the staffers killed? 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

48 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Pretty sure it was day 470-something when the story resumed, so about 12 months after their child was killed-she wasn't pregnant when it happened.

You seem to be right ( I could be remembering only the 70 part of the number correctly), at least according to wikipedia resume:

Lee takes a toy space shuttle from Beau, warning him that its noise could attract the creatures. Regan returns the toy to Beau, who activates it when the family is near a bridge. Its noise causes a creature to appear, killing him.

A year later, the family survive on their farm.

8x days + a year would have it at 470-something days

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO MUCH for watching B. Glad my hours of effort doesn't go entirely unwasted haha

I don't always have time to watch your entire podcasts but everytime you post one I do try to watch at least parts of them. This one I managed to find time to watch the whole thing. Even when I don't agree with you which is often LOL I just love listening to your thoughts on film in general. So please keep them coming and I will definitely keep watching.

• Thanks 1

INTENSE. I had a blast with this. It's a technical masterpiece, and the emotion hits hard. My only gripe with the movie is that it goes from 0 to 100 without any transition at all, but it doesn't detract too much from the film. 9/10 | A-