baumer

A Quiet Place (2018)

Grade it  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Saw this last night in a very packed theater. Never before have I gone out and watched a movie in a theater, and felt the entire theater frozen in tension (like, people were scared shit of making a sound). The woman next to me was priceless.

This movie was absolutely intense and on the edge of your seat, right from the beginning due to some really fantastic shots and filming. I just loved the way at times how Krasinski just directed this movie, very artful and unique (for example, I loved the moment on the bridge when the boy turned the airplane on. You get realities of his vision/view but then you also get it from the other perspective of someone who is deaf, who can't hear what's going on and just goes by reading facial expressions). It was a very chilling scene not being able to hear anything, and seeing the look on the parents faces.....I mean, I kind of like felt like I was there, it just felt surreal. And I did not see the death coming so fast and quick, I was in my seat like, "Okay.....that just happened".

I found the pacing to be perfectly fine for me. Sure, there are a lot of quiet moments (no pun intended) in this movie in the beginning, but I never felt bored or lost as the actors and actresses of this movie were phenomenal and really made me care for them, where I actually liked the quiet moments because A). I want to know more about dynamics of their family, and, B). It also builds up that tension of "what's going to happen" if a noise is made perhaps. This film is NOT about the creature, although it does appear in the film a lot of it is horrifying, this film is all about these characters. Even in the moments when the creature is present and with our characters, the focus is never set on the creature and it's never overly glorified, but instead the focus is always on the character's concerns/issues (for example, the mother was virtually trapped with this creature numerous times, and yet we are soley focused on her struggles of having to stay quiet meanwhile giving birth. This added so much anxiety for me, more so than really any creature could do and to me that's what made this film worked so well. It's not the typical, "big shot" of creature and loud music blaring, and some other crap. We are focused on what the character is going through and their struggles.)

Speaking of the creatures, I also loved how the film slowly introduces bit by bit of what they look like. I absolutely hate it when a horror/thriller flick just BOOM, shows the creature in the first like 20 minutes of the movie. It leaves very little imagination to the viewer. Here, you do see the creature early in the film but it's for a nanosecond as it just zooms past us. Slowly through the film you'll get a shot of a claw, or of a leg, till eventually you're rewarded with the full view shot of it at the end. (Also on a side note, did anyone else think the creatures somewhat looked like Venom?)

There are flaws in the film if you really want to nit pick it to death, but really the only one that stands out to me is really the idea of her wanting to be pregnant. I understand you lost your youngest son, but I mean it's highly unrealistic that this family could raise a baby quietly and not think that those things wouldn't hear it. I just couldn't let that one go as it bothered me a bit. As for the other flaws (like, I did find it weird how they had working lights. There could be a generator but wouldn't it eventually die?), but they were enough to overlook as I bought into this family and they sold me on it.

I'm so glad I really really really enjoyed this. This is actually really more of a thriller/suspense movie than I would say horror, but nevertheless it's so refreshing to see a director do his own thing and be 'somewhat' original/unique (of course it's not original completely, def got a 'signs' vibe and also 'it comes at night' (though that movie was crap)). Of course you had jump scares, but they were for the most part highly effective, and the few cheap ones didn't bother me as I felt that the movie earned it.

I'm giving this a solid A, 9.5/10, (94/100)  Really enjoyed this.

• Like 1

So, I've been thinking about this for 24 Hours, and I'm just not letting it go:

Spoiler

Why was the 3 Year Old Lagging Behind?  The family's in a dangerous situation.  Why wasn't it one parent in the front, the kids in the middles, and the other parent in the back?  That way you can KEEP AN EYE on your effing kids!  My mom asked me how the movie was, and I told her about this scene, and I could legit see her eyes going: NOPE.  NOT HOW THAT WORKS.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

That fucking nail made the audience go insane.  The crowd also applauded like three times in the last 5 minutes.  Overall this was really fucking good and will probably get insane WOM

My crowd was really mixed on the ending. I heard a fair amount of grumbling on the way out, though I'm not exactly sure why. 

Spoiler

The ending is abrupt, yeah, but the implication that they're going to take out the approaching monsters the same way they took the other one out minutes earlier is crystal-clear. There's not really a need to see what happens next.

• Like 1

I was debating whether to give the movie an A- or a B+ and I ultimately decided on a B+ for a few reasons. First off, how did the creatures come into being? If they were alien invaders who were blind and relied on (loud), distinguishable noises as a means of assault and geolocation, how did they find Earth in the first place given the lack of sound in space? If they were some sort of government experiment (my current belief), why were they released or allowed to escape into the wild? If they were a subterranean or oceanic species, what brought them to the land surface?

If a shotgun can severely injure or kill them, how did the military units around the world fail to contain them? Also, how did some government or military official not already discover high pitched or high frequency sounds could essentially stun them? I really needed a few minutes of a voiceover or text introduction or a prologue of some sort. As it is, the movie is like The Walking Dead - a creature story without an explanation.

Then there is that damn nail. Those steps had been traversed many, many times and given how cautious they were about everything, I cannot believe they would allow that nail to remain exposed especially since they were barefoot 100% of the time. Sure, it was a plot device; but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Still, I enjoyed the movie and its overall concept. It was certainly a tense and chilling thriller.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

First off, how did the creatures come into being? If they were alien invaders who were blind and relied on (loud), distinguishable noises as a means of assault and geolocation, how did they find Earth in the first place given the lack of sound in space? If they were some sort of government experiment (my current belief), why were they released or allowed to escape into the wild? If they were a subterranean or oceanic species, what brought them to the land surface?

Does it really matter?  They're on earth now.  They're here, gotta run from them.  The film is better off with them not explaining the origin of the monsters.  Makes them feel more menacing and creepy.  If they started the film off with a voice-over narration or forced exposition halfway through about how the monsters got there, the film would've definitely suffered from it.

• Like 1

The film gets these little cuts here and there because the humans are clever but make stupid mistakes - like letting your children lag behind when aliens are out there, and getting pregnant.

First 1/4th didn't work for me, didn't think it was going to be something special, it really kicked off for me with Emily having to wander around that house by herself and it just never let up.

And while it's still not necessarily special, it is entertaining.

4 hours ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

Does it really matter?  They're on earth now.  They're here, gotta run from them.  The film is better off with them not explaining the origin of the monsters.  Makes them feel more menacing and creepy.  If they started the film off with a voice-over narration or forced exposition halfway through about how the monsters got there, the film would've definitely suffered from it.

“No one would have believed, in the early years of the 21st century, that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns, they observed and studied, the way a man with a microscope might scrutinize the creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency, men went to and fro about the globe, confident of our empire over this world. Yet, across the gulf of space, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded our planet with envious eyes...and slowly, and surely, drew their plans against us.”

• Like 2

This might be the most tense movie I've ever seen in theaters. Definitely a masterpiece of sound design: there were times where nobody in the theater was chewing on their popcorn because of the total silence of numerous scenes. Who would've guessed that John Krasinski had this in him as a director after a career of mostly comic roles? It starts off with an especially unsettling sequence and barely lets up from there. Excellent acting across the board from its quartet of actors, especially Emily Blunt and Millicent Simmonds. The plot probably falls apart completely upon dissection afterwards if you try to do so but that doesn't take away from the overall experience. It makes you wonder why not all horror movies can put in the time and craft in coming up with something this nerve-racking without relying on blood and guts. A

• Like 1

That was intense. I swear my whole theater crowd was holding their breath the whole movie., 

THAT FARM SCENE THOUGH.

That daughter pissed me off a bit. Also the plot probably won't hold up under close scrutiny, but that was an experience for sure. 

B+

22 hours ago, DAJK said:

Loved it. Sure, there were inconsistencies with how careful the family was that bothered me (unless you WANT another kid use a condom for gods sake). 

Krasinski's death was heartbreaking. Saw it with some co-workers including my sister and she actually cried. 

Really well-done overall, would see again.

A

14 hours ago, Frozen said:

Considering the world they live in, birth control is probably not readily available. 

If you were married to Emily blunt you'd use up all the condoms in the first couple months too

21 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

So, I've been thinking about this for 24 Hours, and I'm just not letting it go:

Hide contents

Why was the 3 Year Old Lagging Behind?  The family's in a dangerous situation.  Why wasn't it one parent in the front, the kids in the middles, and the other parent in the back?  That way you can KEEP AN EYE on your effing kids!  My mom asked me how the movie was, and I told her about this scene, and I could legit see her eyes going: NOPE.  NOT HOW THAT WORKS.

It really took me out of it, right from the start.  I was expecting this expertly crafted, airtight thriller after all the raves.  But 2 minutes in I was already asking "WHY????" 

When your horror movie opens with the cliche of dumb characters doing dumb things, it aint that good. And it's not like they're dumb horny teenagers either. 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 1

Super solid, enjoyable film.

But that first kid was a dumbass. You know that the monsters kill people through sound, but you put batteries in that dumb rocket, and let the sounds play off, threatening you and all of your family? Moron.

I'm giving it a B or a 7/10 because it's well acted, I liked the score and the suspense was palpable.  But if I let this sit for a day or two, I'd probably come back and give it a 6 simply because it's one of the dumber horror movies I've seen.  And this is coming from someone who has seen some grade Z horror movies with budgets of about $17.00.

You live in a world that is predicated on silence yet you decide to have a baby?  This is the most egregiously stupid part of the of the film.  The is original Strangers kind of stupid.  Babies are loud and there is nothing you can do about it.  They cry, they get up at all hours of the night and even if you have some kind of sound proof hiding place for them, the risk is too great.

Then you have the opening death.  The little kid walks at the very back of the family?  Nope.  Sorry, that would never happen.  These characters were so concerned about sound and yet they let their daughter walk by herself?  Nope.

The father goes out searching for the kids, but doesn't bring his shot gun?  Instead he brings nothing but a flashlight.  

And why did they have one gun?  Why not an arsenal of them?

The newspaper clippings did say they were indestructible.  And yet she can blast them with a shotgun and it dies?  If they did have this kind of weakness, then why wasn't there some kind of military blitzkrieg to eliminate them?

Maybe I missed something but where did all the water come from?  It flooded the basement up to her waist and yet she didn't hear it come down?

The suspense was well done and it was very well directed in these parts but the stupidity of it just took me out of it.    It's hard for me to say this because I like Bay and Fuller and I like Platinum Dunes work but this one kind of disappointed me.  So I guess my actual grade for now is 6.5/10

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm giving it a B or a 7/10 because it's well acted, I liked the score and the suspense was palpable.  But if I let this sit for a day or two, I'd probably come back and give it a 6 simply because it's one of the dumber horror movies I've seen.  And this is coming from someone who has seen some grade Z horror movies with budgets of about $17.00.

You live in a world that is predicated on silence yet you decide to have a baby?  This is the most egregiously stupid part of the of the film.  The is original Strangers kind of stupid.  Babies are loud and there is nothing you can do about it.  They cry, they get up at all hours of the night and even if you have some kind of sound proof hiding place for them, the risk is too great.

Then you have the opening death.  The little kid walks at the very back of the family?  Nope.  Sorry, that would never happen.  These characters were so concerned about sound and yet they let their daughter walk by herself?  Nope.

The father goes out searching for the kids, but doesn't bring his shot gun?  Instead he brings nothing but a flashlight.  

And why did they have one gun?  Why not an arsenal of them?

The newspaper clippings did say they were indestructible.  And yet she can blast them with a shotgun and it dies?  If they did have this kind of weakness, then why wasn't there some kind of military blitzkrieg to eliminate them?

Maybe I missed something but where did all the water come from?  It flooded the basement up to her waist and yet she didn't hear it come down?

The suspense was well done and it was very well directed in these parts but the stupidity of it just took me out of it.    It's hard for me to say this because I like Bay and Fuller and I like Platinum Dunes work but this one kind of disappointed me.  So I guess my actual grade for now is 6.5/10

This pretty much sums up my thoughts pretty well. If you can really get past all those small little problems, it's a really good family acted drama with serious tense moments. But I guess I'm still stuck on how they had working power, and running water. I suppose it might not have been running water from those pipes, but a water tower I missed.

Part of me would be far more accepting if this were only say...70 days into this apocalypse instead of 470 days. The pregnancy would predate the monsters at the very least then.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

@RandomCat...why did the basement flood?  Where did the water come from?  I must have missed something.

When Jim went back upstairs from the basement it pans over to show busted pipes after the monster's rampage and water coming from them. Where that water came from, I have no idea.

Edited by RandomCat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RandomCat said:

When Jim went back upstairs from the basement it pans over to show busted pipes after the monster's rampage and water coming from them. Where that water came from, I have no idea.

Ok thanks.  I guess I did miss that part.

• Like 1