baumer

A Quiet Place (2018)

Grade it  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I didn't understand the intention of becoming pregnant in such horrible conditions that too for a fourth child. Fear & survival (atleast for their two kids) should have curbed their idea even if they are emotional for their loss of third child. Each n every obstacle is way forcedly written , looks very silly and that climax is just awful.

F

• ...wtf 1

The movie is not perfect, but it's a very nice chilling thriller. I was quite sceptical about how much I would like the "silent" part of it but to my surpise I think it increased the tension very much and created a beautiful atmosphere. That being said, I thought that the score could have been a bit stronger and help even more to that direction.

The film is quite tight-scripted. It felt pretty short, didn't get bored for a moment which I guess is a feat for a movie that had 3 lines. I think I wanted a bit more in the end. I don't know exactly how it could have been but I am not a very big fan of abrupt endings I am more of a fan of typical conclusions where everything it's answered.

The cast is very good overall. They do a very good work for the difficult task they have.

All in all, it is not a movie I went crazy about but it is the best out of the recent horror hits (Split,Get Out, anything on the Conjuring, Don't Breathe etc.).

A-/B+

Spoiler

Am I the only one who got fucking pissed at the couple for having sex under those conditions? When I realised the woman is pregnant I was about to bang my head in the wall.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:51 PM, Nostalgia said:

I didn't understand the intention of becoming pregnant in such horrible conditions that too for a fourth child. Fear & survival (atleast for their two kids) should have curbed their idea even if they are emotional for their loss of third child. Each n every obstacle is way forcedly written , looks very silly and that climax is just awful.

F

Omg I thought I was the only one. I got fuckin furious when I realised she was pregnant...

The first half of A Quiet Place is about as good as a gimmicky concept like this can be. There are silly moments and missed opportunities here and there, but overall, it builds a great atmosphere that ends with a remarkably thrilling setpiece that takes this idea to its fullest potential.

Unfortunately, immediately following that setpiece is something so incredibly dumb, it completely derails the film. The second half is utter trash, with characters being dumb for no real reason and rules being broken for the sake of no tension. It doesn't destroy the first half, but it makes it ultimately feel like a ton of wasted potential.

The cinematography is nice and Krasinski's direction is hit and miss. The sound design lives up to the height, particularly in the audio space that is presented via the mixing. The cast overall is fine, but really, the movie falls apart thanks to the mediocre script. A Quiet Place might be an exciting way to spend ninety minutes, but it definitely doesn't live up to how good it could be. C+