baumer

Blockers (2018)

Grade it  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

@baumer you can pin this at the top and unpin the likes of Paul, Apostle of Christ and Sherlock Gnomes (which have zero posts in them after being out for two weeks).

Anyway, this is fucking hysterical. I didn't find the marketing particularly funny but thankfully they actually save a ton of the best bits for the movie. It's also surprisingly heartwarming as well and has more to say than most raunchy comedies (as weird as it might sound, it would actually kinda fit as a double feature with Love, Simon). Leslie Mann and Ike Barinholtz (playing the Ike Barinholtz character to better effect than usual) are great here, but best in show is none other than JOHN CENA (paging Dr. @CJohn), who only sharpens his impressive comic chops even more with each new comedy. The actresses who play the daughters are very good too. Also, this demands to be seen with a packed audience. B+

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

@baumer you can pin this at the top and unpin the likes of Paul, Apostle of Christ and Sherlock Gnomes (which have zero posts in them after being out for two weeks).

Anyway, this is fucking hysterical. I didn't find the marketing particularly funny but thankfully they actually save a ton of the best bits for the movie. It's also surprisingly heartwarming as well and has more to say than most raunchy comedies (as weird as it might sound, it would actually kinda fit as a double feature with Love, Simon). Leslie Mann and Ike Barinholtz (playing the Ike Barinholtz character to better effect than usual) are great here, but best in show is none other than JOHN CENA (paging Dr. @CJohn), who only sharpens his impressive comic chops even more with each new comedy. The actresses who play the daughters are very good too. Also, this demands to be seen with a packed audience. B+

John Cena and Gary Cole locking eyes during that scene is gonna be the first gif I make when it comes out.

Ike Barinholtz could have easily fallen into his usual schtick here but they give him some sincere moments that works wonders. I'd probably give the movie a B. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MrPink said:

John Cena and Gary Cole locking eyes during that scene is gonna be the first gif I make when it comes out.

Ike Barinholtz could have easily fallen into his usual schtick here but they give him some sincere moments that works wonders. I'd probably give the movie a B. 

The stuff with Gary Cole and Gina Gershon's weird couple was amazing. So glad the marketing didn't spoil any of that.

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Cena just looking mad had me in hysterics and he plays overprotective Dad very well, 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's also surprisingly heartwarming as well and has more to say than most raunchy comedies (as weird as it might sound, it would actually kinda fit as a double feature with Love, Simon). 

NOT WEIRD.  Had the same thought!!

Spoiler

I was like, Did I Just Watch Two Wonderfully Poignant Coming Out Scenes (Where It's Okay) From Two Major Studio Releases Within Four Weeks Of Each Other?!!? 

lBYwEDm.gif

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far.  This is FUN.  

The casting of John Cena (as John Cena, the Trophy Husband) is inspired.  I just find him so fucking funny.  There were definitely people in that theater just for John Cena, and then it's like SURPRISE! Feminism!  I crackled at that bait and switch.

All of the characters feel fleshed out, like real people, with real emotions and issues.  Everyone has different motivations for their actions.  The movie gives the girls so much agency, treats them with respect, and lets them be funny, and gross, and silly.  Big Plus for me.  Another plus is the explicit exchange of consent that happens whenever sex is mentioned.  

Sam is the cutest ever.  Her room is so giggle-worthy .  I saw the Huntsman poster and lost it.  Angelica is amazing and has all the best lines.  The scene at the end with Sam and her Dad is GENIUS.  I love it.  Heartfelt, yet due to its playing on the tropes, really clever.  So good.    

Kay Cannon does a fantastic job of balancing sweet character beats with raunchy R-Rated humor.

A

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 2

I liked everything about it.  The comedy is over the top at times and funny pretty much all of the time and the sincere and touching parts, the John Hughes kind of stuff, is what makes it such a great film.  There's real emotions here, real themes that are still just as relevant today as they were when I was in high school.  I enjoyed the film immensely for that reason.  I even got choked up in some scenes.

8.5/10

This was a weird movie for me. There were some funny moments, especially all of the scenes with Gary Cole and Gina Gershon (where has she been?). I also laughed hysterically at the American Beauty throwaway joke. That being said, there were far too many unfunny and sometimes horrible scenes with the three adults (Cena, Mann and Barinholtz). For instance, the scenes after the SUV had crashed and while it was vertical were PAINFUL. It didn't help that the three adult characters were generally unlikeable and unfunny creepers. Mann seemed like she was slumming to have taken this job. Cena was just not funny for me outside of his scenes with Cole and Gershon. Barinholtz was the only interesting one of the trio of adults given how his character was so insightful towards his daughter despite being a distant father. 

The three daughters were fine. I wish the film had focused exclusively on them or at least made them the main focus instead of the parents. Yet, the daughters are emblematic of a larger problem I had with the film. I can't remember the names of any their characters despite having seen it earlier today. So much of the film is instantly forgettable.

Overall, I did not like the film nearly as much as critics did and I certainly did not like it as much as I liked the two other recent comedies Game Night (a solid, funny flick) and Love, Simon (my favorite film of the year). I would recommend it if someone found it on Netflix or an uncensored cable channel. Otherwise, I would say skip it. (5/10)

• Like 1

Blockers is a pretty decent comedy. The humor never really rises above serviceable, but both trios have excellent chemistry that lead to some really funny moments. Cena continues improving as a comedic actor, but the highlight of the film is easily Ike Barinholtz, who sells the emotion just as well as the comedy, and allows the adult trio to actually be anchored in a pathos that makes it feel more than a standard comedy. Viswanathan is the best of the younger trio, but really, they work together much more as a cohesive group. The film has the vibe of a typical Seth Rogen comedy, although with a notable absence of Seth Rogen. Blockers is a solid time but it’s hard to imagine it sticking as well as it could, since the jokes are ultimately average for an R-rated comedy of this kind. C+

On 8/22/2021 at 3:40 PM, Blankments said:

Blockers is a pretty decent comedy. The humor never really rises above serviceable, but both trios have excellent chemistry that lead to some really funny moments. Cena continues improving as a comedic actor, but the highlight of the film is easily Ike Barinholtz, who sells the emotion just as well as the comedy, and allows the adult trio to actually be anchored in a pathos that makes it feel more than a standard comedy. Viswanathan is the best of the younger trio, but really, they work together much more as a cohesive group. The film has the vibe of a typical Seth Rogen comedy, although with a notable absence of Seth Rogen. Blockers is a solid time but it’s hard to imagine it sticking as well as it could, since the jokes are ultimately average for an R-rated comedy of this kind. C+

Did you watch this in anticipation of Kay Cannon's new Cinderella movie lol?