SLAM!

Uncut Gems | A24 | December 13th, 2019 | dir. Safdie brothers (Good Time) | Not Your Average Adam Sandler Movie | Now on Criterion!

20 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Any word yet on how many theatres this is expanding into on Christmas Day? It's daily PTA's are outstanding! Looks like it could do very well in wide release.

I think we’ll know the official number next week. All of my local AMC theaters are showing it.

• Thanks 1

We're getting it in my area, which makes it the first A24 film we've gotten on its wide release date since... ever? (For reference: they didn't carry anything from A24 between Ex Machina in 2015 - which I remember them picking up a week or two into its wide run - and Midsommar in August.)

I'm really stoked for this. I loved Sandler as a teen and I really dig most of his serious performances (Funny People, Punch-Drunk Love, Meyerowitz Stories), so I'm excited to see what he brings to the table here.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Any chance this one breaks out a bit? Wondering if people that grew up with Sandler will be curious to see him in this kind of role.

The dailies have been super strong and it's getting a massive expansion for an A24 film (approx. 2,500 theatres per BOP, according to @WrathOfHan). I think it will break out, yes.

• Like 1

Well... My family and I always catch a flick on Christmas Day. Admittedly, this one's a tough sell. Purposely held off on Jumanji because I assumed that would be the choice. If Star Wars is the choice, given I saw it and didn't care much for it, I could probably see this one separately.

So... Guess there's a chance. I can't imagine the choice not being Jumanji or Star Wars. Little Women, Spies In Disguise and Frozen won't be options knowing my family's taste. 1917 would've been high on the list but that one's not out yet.

Guess Cats could be an option too. My mom and sis are big on musicals.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well... My family and I always catch a flick on Christmas Day. Admittedly, this one's a tough sell. Purposely held off on Jumanji because I assumed that would be the choice. If Star Wars is the choice, given I saw it and didn't care much for it, I could probably see this one separately.

So... Guess there's a chance. I can't imagine the choice not being Jumanji or Star Wars. Little Women, Spies In Disguise and Frozen won't be options knowing my family's taste. 1917 would've been high on the list but that one's not out yet.

Guess Cats could be an option too. My mom and sis are big on musicals.

If it is Cats, word is you should get high as a kite first.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Any chance this one breaks out a bit? Wondering if people that grew up with Sandler will be curious to see him in this kind of role.

They haven’t really come out for his other roles. Punch Drunk Love got a D+ Cinemascore. I guess to be fair, his other non-Happy Madison fare between that and Meyerowitz weren’t exceptionally well received critically. And Meyerowitz was a Netflix indie acquisition made two years too early. The turnout for a gritty Adam Sandler will be interesting to see, though. Because despite opening in only five theaters last weekend, it got an A- Cinemascore from those audiences.

Still disappointed this is going to Netflix here in Canada. This was a must-see for me over the holidays. As mentioned before, it's getting a strong expansion (2,341 theatres starting tomorrow) and it has performed great so far in limited release. Should be a decent hit.

On 12/22/2019 at 4:28 AM, JB33 said:

Any word yet on how many theatres this is expanding into on Christmas Day? It's daily PTA's are outstanding! Looks like it could do very well in wide release.

2341 theaters, i am quite surprised A24 can pull this much of theaters over holiday season.

If this become a breakout, Canada is choosing the wrong move

Edited by titanic2187