SLAM!

Uncut Gems | A24 | December 13th, 2019 | dir. Safdie brothers (Good Time) | Not Your Average Adam Sandler Movie | Now on Criterion!

11 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

Got a C+ Cinemascore from wide audiences, but a $5.9M wide opening day yesterday.

C+ wtf. I thought it was one of the best films of the year and much better than Irishman.

Ehh, I'm guessing this is probably because people are used to seeing Sandler in comedy roles, but still. The movie was great and Sandler's performance was fantastic.

Edited by CloneWars

This was always going to be divisive. It's a Safdie Brothers movie. That said, there will be enough they really loved to spread decent WOM. Should do well enough over the holidays. Thinking it can do 20M to 25M for the five day. Is A24s highest grosser still Hereditary? If so, I think this has a real shot at beating that number.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This was always going to be divisive. It's a Safdie Brothers movie. That said, there will be enough they really loved to spread decent WOM. Should do well enough over the holidays. Thinking it can do 20M to 25M for the five day. Is A24s highest grosser still Hereditary? If so, I think this has a real shot at beating that number.

it's lady bird $48.9m.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

A C+ is better for a movie like Uncut Gems than it is for a movie like Cats.

This was N-U-T-S! I enjoyed it thoroughly, but hoo boy, anyone who goes in thinking they’re going to see a typical Adam Sandler flick has another think coming. Kudos to A24 for sneaking this through-and-through arthouse flick into mainstream multiplexes.

Legs-wise, I think we’re going to see the film buffs who love it balance out the viewers who had no idea what they were getting themselves into beforehand.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Webslinger said:

This was N-U-T-S! I enjoyed it thoroughly, but hoo boy, anyone who goes in thinking they’re going to see a typical Adam Sandler flick has another think coming. Kudos to A24 for sneaking this through-and-through arthouse flick into mainstream multiplexes.

Legs-wise, I think we’re going to see the film buffs who love it balance out the viewers who had no idea what they were getting themselves into beforehand.

Judging by the positive fan reviews but C+ cinemascore, that would suggest that yes, a lot of people wanted to see "the new adam sandler movie", and were disappointed it was not what they expected. Which will probably lead to shorter legs.

I don't think its a case of the film being divisive, I think its a case of bait and switch marketing. Reminds me of that Guillermo del toro movie that was a romance film but marketed as a supernatural horror flick, and it got 2x legs despite being really good.

that being said - overall it probably still sells more tickets for the film!

shame they sold it off to netflix for the rest of the world, I'd quite like to see this in the cinema.

Edited by Avatree

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Judging by the positive fan reviews but C+ cinemascore, that would suggest that yes, a lot of people wanted to see "the new adam sandler movie", and were disappointed it was not what they expected. Which will probably lead to shorter legs.

I don't think its a case of the film being divisive, I think its a case of bait and switch marketing. Reminds me of that Guillermo del toro movie that was a romance film but marketed as a supernatural horror flick, and it got 2x legs despite being really good.

What was bait and switch about the marketing compared to the movie? Marketing definitely did not tease a typical Adam Sandler movie.

Edited by Jay Beezy

1 minute ago, Jay Beezy said:

What was bait and switch about the marketing compared to the movie? Marketing definitely did not tease a typical Adam Sandler movie.

Maybe I'm using wrong words, what I mean is that it attracted a load of people who thought they were going to watch something else. (whether that's Studio's fault, or audience fault)

As for the marketing itself, I haven't seen any trailer or posters or anything for this so cant comment.

Edited by Avatree

13 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Maybe I'm using wrong words, what I mean is that it attracted a load of people who thought they were going to watch something else. (whether that's Studio's fault, or audience fault)

As for the marketing itself, I haven't seen any trailer or posters or anything for this so cant comment.

Deadline suggested people didn’t like the ending.

6 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Deadline suggested people didn’t like the ending.

I loved the ending. Might be my favorite thing about the film. Well, behind the cinematography, music and editing. I think Sandler's performance in this is good but overrated. I didn't like how much of the plot revolved around specific sporting events.

9 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I loved the ending. Might be my favorite thing about the film. Well, behind the cinematography, music and editing. I think Sandler's performance in this is good but overrated. I didn't like how much of the plot revolved around specific sporting events.

I liked the ending, too.