SLAM!

Uncut Gems | A24 | December 13th, 2019 | dir. Safdie brothers (Good Time) | Not Your Average Adam Sandler Movie | Now on Criterion!

16 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Unanimously praised movies are such a big red flag, a warning sign.

When the hive mind agrees on something , you can bet something is fishy about it.

Is that right?

So apparently this is showing at a few select theatres in Canada on different dates throughout Canada. Opening at one theatre in Vancouver on January 17 (unclear if it's just that day, that weekend, or whatever) so I may head down and see it there.

@DAJK It's also opening in Victoria on the 17th.

• Like 1

This was great. Really intense ride that's a whole lot of fun to watch. My hands were sweating by the end of it. Highly recommend.

I really like Oneohtrix Point Never/Daniel Lopatin and liked his work on this movie, but I noticed a piece of music that was so heavily "inspired" by Akira that I was trying to figure out of it was actually the same piece of music during the scene

Why not just use the original piece? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Is that right?

So apparently this is showing at a few select theatres in Canada on different dates throughout Canada. Opening at one theatre in Vancouver on January 17 (unclear if it's just that day, that weekend, or whatever) so I may head down and see it there.

@DAJK It's also opening in Victoria on the 17th.

I'll probably have to skip it in theatres :( too much to see in the meantime. Underwater looks interesting, and I also want to watch Dolittle, 1917, Just Mercy, Gentlemen, and I'll probably also be watching Lighthouse and Motherless Brooklyn in theatres next month. On top of that, I'll probably have to pass on yet another trip to the cinema when I can just watch it on Netflix on the 31st. 

18 hours ago, commendable said:

Lol this isn't getting a nom for best score. this was easily the most memorable movie score since BR2049.

Spoiler

So was julia conspiring with the debt collecting guy?

dude please take that to the spoiler thread wtf

We know this is going to Netflix everywhere but the US on January 31, but when does it stream for folks in the US? Asking because I'm wondering if this will completely die in theatres on that weekend and thereafter. It would be a shame given how well it's playing in theatres right now.

Still waiting patiently to see it.....

I finally saw it. It’s certainly a pretty tense film, and Adam Sandler did a really good job in the role. For some reason, he really seems to do a good job of playing a character who happens to be complete sleazeball. I guess I can somewhat see why the Cinemascore rating is so low, since the movie can get frustrating to watch with how unlikeable the main character is, and with how everyone always seems to be at each other’s throats, but I think it’s pretty effective. 

On 1/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, JB33 said:

We know this is going to Netflix everywhere but the US on January 31, but when does it stream for folks in the US? Asking because I'm wondering if this will completely die in theatres on that weekend and thereafter. It would be a shame given how well it's playing in theatres right now.

Still waiting patiently to see it.....

If it follows the usual pattern for A24 releases, it will stream on Prime a couple months after its digital release. I'd be surprised if it just disappeared from cinemas altogether in the U.S. by the end of January, even if the second (wide release) weekend drop isn't great. It probably won't last at the mall multiplexes, but I imagine that it's going to have a very long and healthy run at specialty venues whose audiences are likelier to dig it - a la something like Drive or Parasite.

Edited by Webslinger

4 minutes ago, Eric Laurence said:

I didn’t get the impression that the f-bombs in this movie were a punchline that you’re supposed to laugh at. There certainly is some comedy in this movie, but that’s less to do with the language and more to do with just how pathetic a character like Howard is. 

Lights Camera Jackson is the best reviewer. In fact, if i had to rank youtube review channels, it must go:

1. Lights Camera Jackson

2. Jeremy jahns

3. Beyond the Trailer

4. Redlettermedia

5. Nostalgia Critic

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I didn’t get the impression that the f-bombs in this movie were a punchline that you’re supposed to laugh at. There certainly is some comedy in this movie, but that’s less to do with the language and more to do with just how pathetic a character like Howard is. 

Yeah, I mean the dialogue itself in terms of what the characters are trying to say, they're not trying to crack jokes, it's just how they talk. Was he another person thinking he was getting a Sandler comedy?

Well, my parents saw this and both hated it. They had no idea why I liked this film. Then again, they don't like most movies I like and watch animal videos and America's Funniest Videos all the time. So, that should tell you everything right there.

20 hours ago, CloneWars said:

Well, my parents saw this and both hated it. They had no idea why I liked this film. Then again, they don't like most movies I like and watch animal videos and America's Funniest Videos all the time. So, that should tell you everything right there.

What did they hate about it? Did they know generally what to expect going in?