SLAM!

Uncut Gems | A24 | December 13th, 2019 | dir. Safdie brothers (Good Time) | Not Your Average Adam Sandler Movie | Now on Criterion!

4 hours ago, JB33 said:

What did they hate about it? Did they know generally what to expect going in?

I'm pretty sure they saw the trailers. I'm guessing they didn't like Adam Sandler's character, the fact he plays someone that is arguably immoral, although, not the worst person, just someone with some serious issues.

I 've watched this twice aready and I think it's my favorite movie of the year. And Sandler's performance is so perfect, truly the role of his life. 

I understand why they went Netflix for other markets. Sandler was never that big overseas and the plot revolves around betting on an NBA game, but still I wish I could see it in the big screen.

• Like 3

Why wasn't this masterpiece nominated for a single Oscar this year?   

Did A24 not have enough money to shell out to voters for dumb "For your Consideration" Ads?  
Imo, Sandler could've contended for Best Actor.   

I bet they hate Sandler for making all those Grown Up Movies. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Why wasn't this masterpiece nominated for a single Oscar this year?   

Did A24 not have enough money to shell out to voters for dumb "For your Consideration" Ads?  

I think A24 fucked up big time. Not securing at least a best pic nom for one of the 2 or 3 best films of the year when you have ten possible slots is just maddening. Sandler should have been a lock among best actor noms. 

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

I think we have to wait and see on that one. His previous well-reviewed "serious" turns were too small and not in the oscar conversation, this is the first time he was really snubbed. It was the most packed Best Actor race in many years and his movie didn't get any other nominations despite good reviews and boxoffice.

If he miss again for a movie that has other nominations, I guess you can say they 're giving him the "you can't sit with us" treatment like they did to Jim Carrey in the past. 

In the end who cares, he gave the performance of the year anyway. Let the oscars nominate another 40 Popes. 

On 2/10/2020 at 2:21 PM, Joel M said:

I think we have to wait and see on that one. His previous well-reviewed "serious" turns were too small and not in the oscar conversation, this is the first time he was really snubbed. It was the most packed Best Actor race in many years and his movie didn't get any other nominations despite good reviews and boxoffice.

If he miss again for a movie that has other nominations, I guess you can say they 're giving him the "you can't sit with us" treatment like they did to Jim Carrey in the past. 

In the end who cares, he gave the performance of the year anyway. Let the oscars nominate another 40 Popes. 

That NY Post article seemed to suggest he was snubbed in part because of his brand for making movies like Grown Ups.

Someone made this suggestion after Jennifer Aniston gave him a shoutout at the SAG awards:

Edited by Jay Beezy

10 minutes ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

Feel like maybe Anxiety: The Motion Picture is a bit inappropriate at these times

They probably don't give it that much thought since it's a movie that came out months ago, plus the deal as to when it would land was certainly done a while back long before life turned upside down.