TombRaider

Movies you're surprised dont have another sequel

American pie, they should make another one considering how the last one did, it was bad but those actors have nothing else to do and it'd for sure make money. In fact, I dont know why they started to make VOD releases when american wedding was really succesful?

Final destination. What're they waiting for? last one did 4x its budget and there's so many possible ideas for cool new death scenes

Sex and the city. I know Kim catrall said she wouldnt do it but it'd still make a lot of money and the actresses havent had any success since the last one SJP's show is a flop IMO) so. Also they could actually make a good movie to close it out instead of the horrible second part

The hangover, some short of reunion. it's not like Bradley is relevant anymore and neither is Zach so this would bring them some easy cash

The simpsons. First one was HUGE. It was like a very long episode so it'd bring them so much money?

Edited by TombRaider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

National Treasure 3 and Sherlock Holmes 3 are the only ones I am surprised it didn't happen.

SH3 is still in discussion though right? Whereas National Treasure is not going to be made (sadly :(

What about HANCOCK? Was a huge hit with an A list star, took 400M overseas too, and was a superhero movie... really surprised that never got a sequel. 

• Like 2

Zombieland 2 immediately comes to mind. The first movie had great legs for a horror/comedy hybrid, Eisenberg and Stone both got massive career boosts the year after the first movie with The Social Network and Easy A (plus Legend Harrelson had begun his resurgence between the first movie and his Oscar nom that same year for The Messenger), and the ending even left the door open for a sequel. The director probably should've made that a bigger priority instead of wasting everyone's time on 30 Minutes or Less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

Sex and the city. I know Kim catrall said she wouldnt do it but it'd still make a lot of money and the actresses havent had any success since the last one SJP's show is a flop IMO) so. Also they could actually make a good movie to close it out instead of the horrible second part

The hangover, some short of reunion. it's not like Bradley is relevant anymore and neither is Zach so this would bring them some easy cash

I really don't see the point on making a sequel to either of those. Their last entries decreased both OS and DOM, especially DOM they fell 40% and 50+% off of their predecessors. I don't see how they are not gonna have another huge fall both DOM and OS since their last entries were so long ago and not well received at all. And the stars like Sarah Jessica Parker or Bradley Cooper might not demand 20m salaries any more but they won't return without a much much bigger salary and/or participation fees than what they get for every other movie.

From a financial standpoint those 2 franchises ended at exactly the right moment. They squeezed every last penny out of those properties and walked away just before they enter bomb territory. There is no point bringing them back.

I think we can all agree the most wasted sequel potential was Mean Girls 2. Had it arrived in 2006/2007 and Lohan's career was stable (and not in the midst of a very spectacular implosion), it would've definitely pulled a Pitch Perfect 2 and exploded.

• Like 1

Has for Hancock, being a huge director and huge actor movie get your answer right there, getting Smith to waste time on a sequel (what could be possibly the point from what I remember it was all explored) would have cost a fortune.

Like Independance day 2, bad boys 3 or the massive fortune it did cost to make a Men In Black 3, getting someone like Smith, specially around the appropriate time for an Hancock sequel is far from easy.

Not as extreme but a bit like saying why no Inception 2/ET 2/Back of the future 4 orreboot, because often it is not a studio that is in control of them, a bit like Ghostbuster you often need to people with the actual control over the franchise to be eager to make money.

It is rarely surprising to me for a sequel to not happen if a powerful actor/producer/director need to agree with it.

Edited by Barnack

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Interstellar 2 

Are you really surprised that Nolan didn't do a sequel or that the studio didn't do one without him ?

I am a bit surprised by people being surprised by some of those entry not getting sequels right away or even ever.

• Like 2

Another that legit surprises me is a sequel to The Karate Kid remake (which managed an over 3.0 multiplier even with intense competition from Toy Story 3 in its second weekend). Probably shoulda made that instead of After Earth, Smith family.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Another that legit surprises me is a sequel to The Karate Kid remake

That movie made a giant 198.5m in gross profits (91.2m in talent bonus and 97.4m to Sony) from over 400m in revenues with a 45m production budget....

There was talk about a sequel and even focus group/audience poll made about it:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/179884

Confidentially, an option on doing a sequel to our “The Karate Kid” has arisen and it may be possible for a Summer 2015 release.

The Karate Kid 2: 
Please provide an estimate high/low range if this film were to be made for a 2015 release, most likely in the summer in the U.S.  Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan would star, storyline not too dissimilar to the sequel of the original Karate Kid film, but take place in Beijing with a climax in Hong Kong at a mixed martial arts tournament.  Censorship rating/tone would be similar to the last film.

-----

We feel the findings are pretty clear. While it is covered in detail within the report, the main takeaways are as follows:

·        The Karate Kid is a brand that adults have more affinity towards than kids, though kids liked the 2010 movie more than adults.

·        Relative to other family brands (Wimpy Kid, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Percy Jackson, Night at the Museum) The Karate Kid is middle of the pack among adults, and trails these other brands with kids.

·        Karate Kid’s strengths relative to these other brands are its inspirational tone, good message, and the nostalgia adults feel for it.

·        After being exposed to a short concept for the sequel, interest levels do not rise significantly, and are heavily concentrated among families, and African-American moviegoers.

·        Jaden is very polarizing, particularly with general audience and parents, less so with kids.

·        There is a worry, particularly among girls but with parents as well, that the plot will focus too much on Dre, and too much on the martial arts fighting.

·        Mr. Han is the most important character to parents, kids, and general audience. Mr. Han’s relationship with Dre is the most important element of the brand, and seeing Dre help Mr. Han the most compelling hook in the sequel.

·        Seeing several different martial arts styles is more appealing than just focusing on one.

·        Rating has no impact on the majority of moviegoers. Parents prefer PG while the general audience prefers PG-13, though the general audience has the biggest overcomes with Jaden. Regardless of rating, a tonal balance is key.

·        The majority of moviegoers have no preference on setting, but when forced to choose, Tokyo is the most interesting.

------

Main issue seem to have been the star:

It's not all bad news, but you're right on two key aspects: 
1) Jaden is a significant liability. 
2) We may have missed our moment.  People's affection for the remake has faded over time.
They really liked the movie and Jaden in the immediate aftermath of the remake, but that goodwill has dissipated.

With loosing the crowd that went to the first because of Nostalgia being an other big concern.

Edited by Barnack