TombRaider

Movies you're surprised dont have another sequel

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

National Treasure 3 and Sherlock Holmes 3 are the only ones I am surprised it didn't happen.

These two right here. Yes RDJ has been doing Avengers films but he hasn't had a starring IM film in a few years now.

I can't recall but there were some details about Cage and Disney or Cage and 'x' having a falling out about the direction a NT3 would take? Sound right to anyone?

26 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

The Incredible Hulk 2. 

Distribution rights are tied up with Universal. That studio gets first right of refusal to distribute the movie and that means a cut of the revenue. It's very muddy on just how long Universal maintains those rights or what their % of Distribution would be but Disney isn't sharing when it doesn't have to do so. It would be nice to get this wrapped up and back to Disney. I'm guessing Universal would take a buyout but they may be asking too much.

I'm honestly surprised that MIB 23 didn't happen. When 22 Jump Street jumped so dramatically, having Tatum and Hill crossover with another property would have kept the series fresh and keep the brand alive, and would be much easier for the creatives to work on than another straight sequel. Even if they went with the Men in Black angle, meaning a longer post-production time, it still could have been easily slotted into a 2017 or 2018 release. Hell, they could have used that movie to promote Hems and Thompson for the 2019 spin-off/remake/whatever Sony's doing. But at this point, we'll probably just get a 23 Jump Street that will probably drop like Hangover 3.

I also am a bit surprised we never got a Monsters vs. Aliens sequel. I know it didn't make a whole lot overseas, and Katzenberg wanted his films to focus less on parody, but it was close to making $200M domestically, and had some pretty good legs and reception. If movies that made less like Trolls can get a sequel, why didn't this? (Well, I guess Trolls could be like Cars, and be a moneymaker for Dreamworks in the toy department)

And while this could happen, I'm shocked Sony hasn't announced a Peter Rabbit sequel yet. It's already made 4.5x its opening weekend, and could very well even reach 4.75x, and the movie was made on a $50M budget, so the sequel could very well cost $70M at most. And unlike a movie like Smurfs, the film isn't considered a critical dumpster fire where a sequel would drop like a rock. Fast-track another one, put it in a winter 2020 release date, make profit.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Are you really surprised that Nolan didn't do a sequel or that the studio didn't do one without him ?

I am a bit surprised by people being surprised by some of those entry not getting sequels right away or even ever.

There is no need for a sequel but I think it would be cool Matthew going on a intergaltic Journey through space and Meeting Ann's characters lol.

It was something I be interested in seeing lol. 

6 hours ago, TombRaider said:

The simpsons. First one was HUGE. It was like a very long episode so it'd bring them so much money?

Apparently, the first movie took a huge toll on the production staff, especially since they were developing and working on the movie at the same time as they were making the show, and were continuously editing the project and adding in new sequences months before the movie was supposed to come out.

Reading a little bit about that project just made me learn something, director can be brought has development deal and not really to direct the movie, for example:

http://variety.com/2014/film/asia/jaden-smiths-karate-kid-sequel-draws-breck-eisner-to-direct-1201153638/

Sony has signed Breck Eisner to direct its sequel to “The Karate Kid,” its hit 2010 actioner starring Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan.

In a leaked sony email of the same day:

This is just a development deal.  
Jean, don't hit that over the head but let Fleming know Breck is being brought on to supervise a new draft. We don't have cast deals or a start date. 

Couple of months later:

http://www.slashfilm.com/karate-kid-2-loses-breck-eisner-gains-new-writers/

It wasn’t until earlier this year that the sequel finally found a director in Breck Eisner— and now it seems it’s directorless again as Eisner has exited.

Edited by Barnack

9 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm honestly surprised that MIB 23 didn't happen.

I imagine it could be loosing Lord&Miller for Star Wars and now being in a situation were it would be many year's after 21/22 JS participated into that not happening.

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

There is no need for a sequel but I think it would be cool Matthew going on a intergaltic Journey through space and Meeting Ann's characters lol.

It was something I be interested in seeing lol. 

Oh Interstellar 2 with what happen with Ann/Matthew on that planet with at a during this time a the ranch story line of what happen with the small humanity restarting from scratch but with high tech with those 2 destiny somewhat meeting again in some ways could be a lot of fun and like for an Inception 2 it would be greenlight easily with a giant budget.

No doubt many would be interested (to be in it, to producer/distribute it/watch it, etc....), my comments was not in that sense, it was more it is really unsurprising to me that Nolan didn't do a sequel since the Batman and it is also not surprising that a studio do not do a sequel of is movies without him being involved (if they have the rights to do so, he could put in is contract that he has to sign off on them)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves 2

Forrest Gump 2

National Treasure 3

Sherlock Holmes 3

American Pie 5 

Now You See Me 3

Shrek 5 

The Simpsons Movie 2 

Elf 2

Apparently the book that was made for that one was brutal (and Tom Hanks the actor exist in that universe and meet Gump).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gump_and_Co.

Forrest Gump tells readers "Don't never let nobody make a movie of your life's story," though "Whether they get it right or wrong, it doesn't matter."

Seem to have been influenced quite a bit with the battle between the studio and the writer (that signed a contract without a accountant for the movie and accepted that the studio could put together a list of movies to calculate the profit instead of having is bonus calculated on Forest Gump profits leaving him with nothing)

That give credence that Forest Gump is a very dark comedy were everyone with a dream to do something are all  killed and those without any goal or dream (or dream to die young in combat) end up rich happy billionaire.

A script was still done from it too.

Edited by Barnack

I will hold onto this wish until my dying day (or we get a sequel, whichever comes first) - you don't say "The Real Rocknrolla will return", and then, ten years later, give us nothing.

I mean, people want those mid-level movies again right? The rights aren't held by a small time distributor, are they? (Seriously, are they, I thought it was distributed by Ratpac for ages but I looked and I think it was just Holmes and Uncle?)

"But everyone's too famous now!" I bet you this movie could be made for less than King Arthur.

Oh and I guess Man From Uncle can get a sequel too, especially after the goodwill Cavill gets from Superman and MI and Hammer from CMBYN.

I am surprised that we never got a sequel to Tropic Thunder considering how hugely successful the first one was. I think a Les Grossman-focused sequel a la Get Him to the Greek would have done really well.

I guess the chances are probably dead now since Stiller probably won't want to make another comedy sequel after Zoolander 2 bombed so hard, and since Jack Black doesn't do raunchy comedies anymore.

Salt was certainly set up, narratively speaking, for a sequel. I guess that, although the first film was a decent performer, it was not big enough to warrant the [presumably bigger] costs of a sequel.

If there is a film I would have loved to see a sequel for, that is Salt.

Oh well...

Why did 23 Jump Street never happen? (Or is it still happening soon?) 22JS was bigger than the first both domestically and abroad, got great reviews (like the first) and it was not hated by audiences.

A third film would have probably done very well.

4 hours ago, StevenG said:

Salt was certainly set up, narratively speaking, for a sequel. I guess that, although the first film was a decent performer, it was not big enough to warrant the [presumably bigger] costs of a sequel.

If there is a film I would have loved to see a sequel for, that is Salt.

Oh well...

Yeah that one was expensive, after the massive Jolie and co. bonus the movie net cost went just above 164m, net direct production cost was 125.887m and at a world release P&A of 114.55m.

Sony made some money with it (18.66m) because the movie made 1.786x time it's (production+talent bonus) cost at the box office and in 2010 that was usually more than enough to turn a small profit, but the co-investor lost some (6m)

Sequel would have needed to go down to say a 100-110m budget and Jolie going maybe to profit participation instead of her big 40m-50m type of deal with first dollar gross she was paid those days for it to make sense.

They did work on a script as late has November 2014 was still in dev (and that could be the issue also, it is setup for a possible sequel but you still need to come up with something good and something Jolie want to do), you can read some idea for it, that was one entertain and developed (a script was written by a big veteran writer Becky Johnston with this scenario):

The premise Becky came up with for this version of Salt 2 assumes that the young American girl whose identity Angelina assumed in the first movie – the original American Evelyn Salt – never died, and was in fact taken by the KA’s as an adolescent and indoctrinated to become a KA herself – a woman now known as Irina Gargarin (who’d be the same age as Salt); two sides of the same coin.

The movie kicks off when a woman, presumably Salt, lands on the international radar after killing a Russian man - which sets both the KA’s and CIA after Salt. Salt thinks that Romanovich, an Assange-like developer of surveillance technology who’s operating out of the old KA campus, was behind the murder and framed her – so she goes back to Russia to get answers. She learns that Romanovich, a former KA himself, has taken control of the old KA program and has rehabilitated KA's to be less covert and more honorable - and is all about promoting political transparency. She also learns that Irina, the “real” Evelyn Salt, exists, was behind the killing, and is part of a radicalized group of KA's who don't believe in Romanovich's methods (though the two were once lovers). Salt goes to root her out – but more than anything, Salt wants to find this woman who's been impersonating her and with whom she shares a common history. It turns out that Irina is deeply obsessed with Salt for having “stolen her life” and her relationship with her old Aunt Augusta – to the point that she’s even recreated her lost childhood bedroom in her Moscow apartment. Salt tries to bond with Irina while the two play a spy game of cat and mouse (over rising tensions between the two different sects of the KA program, and politically against the backdrop of Russia potentially invading Lithuania) but Irina is too radicalized, resentful and driven by her own political agenda...

The plot escalates when Peabody (Salt's ally in the CIA but doesn't know if she’s still on his side or if she’s aligned with Romanovich) and the CIA chief are kidnapped by Irina and her extremist KA’s at a political conference in Greece – and Salt follows her to Iran where it turns out she’s recruiting young kids to become suicide bombers – in her own, radicalized KA bootcamp…

Apparently it ended up as a tv movie/show project the year after, to be written by her:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1958011/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/Angelina-Jolie-Salt-Becoming-TV-Show-Get-Details-118917.html

Edited by Barnack

On 4/14/2018 at 11:03 AM, StevenG said:

Why did 23 Jump Street never happen? (Or is it still happening soon?) 22JS was bigger than the first both domestically and abroad, got great reviews (like the first) and it was not hated by audiences.

A third film would have probably done very well.

Lord and Miller got busy with Solo when they were attached. I think it will still happen eventually