Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Rampage is a good steady 80% on RT audience and a very lowly 6.4/10 on IMDB.

I don't know what happened to RT, but there are very few votes for WANT TO SEE. every film has this problem...it used to be thousands of votes for major releases, but now even Infinity war only has 10k votes. The avengers used to have over 100k

24 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Agreed. The horror genre is consistently the most profitable genre right now. Even the low grossing horror films turn a profit. TOD, barring an epic collapse, will make $15M+ this weekend and that's a success given its budget. Were it not for AQP, the film would have opened even better. 

Are there any slasher properties that have the potential to make an IT-level killing at the box office? Or is the so-called slasher genre just too 'unpalatable' to have a gigantic breakout like that.

I ask because I don't think anyone expected IT to gross over 300 million dollars, but it happened.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a hard-edged, pure slasher film do over 200 millions dollars? What would a slasher film need to have (big stars? an unexpected angle? A-list director?) to do that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edmkh said:

I love him, and i loved the trailer of rampage, i am actually really exited to go see the movie, loved jumanji. 

I am a fan of him as a movie star and as a person, i even once downloaded a alarm clock of him, but for me a movie star is only a draw when we know a movie wouldn't make as much money as it did if that actor wasn't in it.

So Jlaw is the last draw. :P

Just now, straggler said:

So Jlaw is the last draw. :P

I like her since i first hear about her when she was nominated for Winter's Bone. I watched all of her movies and i definitely think she is a draw, you can put her in any movie and the movie will make more money that it would without her. For example, imagine if she was in Rampage.

44 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Really? Haven’t R rated horror movies made more? And remember, R rated horror films don’t make money, so a PG-13 making less would be a total failure I assume.

What the hell is your obsession with PG13 vs R?

A Quiet Place is PG13 and it’s made $80m in a week. Truth or Dare cost $3.5m and doubled its budget in one day

None of them are failures. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Are there any slasher properties that have the potential to make an IT-level killing at the box office? Or is the so-called slasher genre just too 'unpalatable' to have a gigantic breakout like that.

I ask because I don't think anyone expected IT to gross over 300 million dollars, but it happened.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a hard-edged, pure slasher film do over 200 millions dollars? What would a slasher film need to have (big stars? an unexpected angle? A-list director?) to do that?

It’s too hard to predict these things. It would need to be a movie that appeals to both teens and adults alike. Halloween could do it if it is really good (although teens may not give a shit about an old franchise, most of them seem to find the original boring). Don’t Breathe was a movie featuring teens that broke out in a big way. It is a good example to follow, some decent money in it but not a massive amount, decent set pieces, R rating, well acted.

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What the hell is your obsession with PG13 vs R?

A Quiet Place is PG13 and it’s made $80m in a week. Truth or Dare cost $3.5m and doubled its budget in one day

None of them are failures. 

But according to producers R rated horror movies don’t make profits, so any PG-13 rated movie that makes less surely isn’t making a profits either.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Truth or Dare is doing about as well as it was ever going to. It'll likely fade fast from here and finish with $35M, but that's still a very nice profit against such a shoestring budget.

Hopefully it follows Ouija and Annabelle. Shitty first film with good sequels. 

27 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Scream 1 and Halloween 1 were peak popularity slashers and adjust to 207m and 184m respectively. The ceiling of the sub-genre is not at all close to something like IT. But maybe it could be done if a slasher had real movie stars or pedigreed cast and crew to draw in the people that dismiss the genre sight unseen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Truth or Dare is doing about as well as it was ever going to. It'll likely fade fast from here and finish with $35M, but that's still a very nice profit against such a shoestring budget.

Yep. And speaking of draws, the crowd demo reports would show that Hale and Posey did what they were supossed to do (although teen girls do tend to favor the genre, I'd guess those two kept them from flocking to AQP)

Deadline's updated weekend estimate:

ANK FILM DIST. SCREENS (CHG) FRI 3-DAY (-%) TOTAL WKD NO.
a-quiet-place-aqp_ff_001r_rgb.jpg?resize 1 A Quiet Place Par 3,589 (+81) $10.5M (-44%) $34.3M (-32%) $101.3M 2
rampage-ii.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 2 Rampage NL/WB 4,101 $11.54M $32.3M 1
truth-or-dare-iii.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w 3 Truth Or Dare Uni/Blumhouse 3,029 $8.3M $19.68M  1
ready-player-one.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w= 4 Ready Player One WB/ VR 3,661 (-573) $2.9M (-57%) $11M (-54%) $114.4M 3
blockers-ii.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 5 Blockers Uni 3,418 (+39) $3.26M (-58%) $10.3M (-50%) $36.9M 2
black-panther-i-e1519149205247.jpg?resiz 6 Black Panther Dis 2,180 (-567) $1.4M
(-39%)
$5.4M (-38%) $673.8M 9
isle-of-dogs.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 7 Isle Of Dogs FSL 1,939 (+1,385) $1.55M (+8%) $4.8M (+7%) $18.3M 4
i-can-only-imagine2.jpg?resize=500%2C281 8 I Can Only Imagine RSA 2,563 (-331) $1.1M (-47%) $4M (-49%) $75.1M 5
acrimony-10.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 9 Acrimony LG 1,332 (-674) $1.1M (-55%) $3.7M(-55%) $37.8M 3
chapaquiddick.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 10 Chappaquiddick EST 1,645 (+85) $838k (-56%) $2.9M(-48%) $10.9M 2
the-miracle-season.jpg?resize=500%2C281& 11 The Miracle Season Mirr/LD 1,707 $641K (-53%) $2.1M (-46%) $6.9M 2
  • Like 2