Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

Rampage doing a crazy +51%+ increase (w/o previews), and RP1 only doing a 72% increase makes it tough to gauge anything else.  

The Pacifier had mediocre tracking and exploded OW, I believe.  https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2005/03/04

Rampage should hit 34M unless a lot of upfront demand was already spent Saturday.  

10,000 B.C. did 36/95 with 105M budget.

Edited by Thematrixfilm

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Skull Island had a good OD I thought... 20M or something?

Yeah but i remember many arguing it would be frontloaded and a misfire because of its budget.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I am so damn ecstatic over that AQP weekend to weekend drop. It's a terrific film that deserves every penny. Hopefully it has a good drop next weekend as well.

I mean technically with avengers being the only competition over the next month, I'd say it could get close to GO's total, or am I insane for thinking that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean technically with avengers being the only competition over the next month, I'd say it could get close to GO's total, or am I insane for thinking that?

I don't think that's insane at all. If it can hold up well enough under Avengers it should. 

• Like 1

day to day predictions

Rampage - 11.50 + 13.80 + 9.30 + 2.80 + 3.50 + 2.50 + 2.50 = 45.90

Quiet Place-10.50 + 13.50 + 8.40 + 2.80 + 3.50 + 2.50 + 2.50 = 110.74

Truth or Dare - 8.25 + 6.70 + 4.05 + 1.00 + 1.25 + 0.90 + 0.90 = 23.05

Blockers         - 3.24 + 4.76 + 3.00 + 0.90 + 1.20 + 0.90 + 0.90 = 41.53

Ready Player 1 - 2.93 + 5.00 + 3.17 + 0.80 + 1.00 + 0.80 + 0.80 = 117.90

Isle of Dogs     - 1.56 + 2.04 + 1.40 + 0.45 + 0.50 + 0.45 + 0.40 = 11.30

Black Panther   - 1.45 + 2.55 + 1.50 + 0.40 + 0.54 + 0.40 + 0.40 = 675.70

I Can Only...     - 1.10 + 1.80 + 1.20 + 0.33 + 0.46 + 0.33 + 0.33 = 76.70

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I hope it does. I always wish the Dwayne Johnson success.

Same. Johnson is one of the most charismatic and charming actors working today. His success is nothing short of great. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

27-28=>31=>34.6

Now we need to revisit all the "DJ is not a draw" and "Rampage floppage" arguments, innit?

He's a draw in the right projects. Rampage isn't out of the woods yet though. I'm hoping for at least 90mil.

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So we shouldn't have been as doom and gloomy about Rampage afterall. Granted the opening still isn't amazing. A Quiet Place will still have a good drop. Truth or Dare will have a great weekend. RPO and Blockers had hefty drops.

People describe Johnson's excessive promotion as "hard work", but does it seem a tad desperate 😂?!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

He's a draw in the right projects. Rampage isn't out of the woods yet though. I'm hoping for at least 90mil.

About 2.6x multi needed for 90. TR did 2.55x but Rampage seems to have better reception. Hope it recovers well after the 3rd weekend drop.

TR had a 26% bump from true Friday in OW, Rampage nearly doubled that jump.

• Like 2

Ooh that’s actually a decent Saturday drop for Truth or Dare (-19%, or 10% without previews), all things considered with the release date. Didn’t see it getting to $16m yesterday and now it’s looking like $18m+, or 5x it’s production budget. Blumhouse have got to be happy, easily beating all tracking too. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

The Platinum Dunnes Guys said it awhile ago.

”This isn’t something horror fans are going to want to hear but R rated horror films don’t make the kind of money that The Conjuring and Paranormal Activity made” they tweeted before deleting it after being pointed out that both those movies where rated R. Jason Blum also did a recent interview saying R rated horror films with young cast members don’t make money, so It, Evil Dead and Don’t Breathe had young cast members in it and clearly didn’t make money.

IT, Evil Dead, and Don’t Breathe exceeded all my expectations for them. Any movie making over 300 M especially a horror film is making money. 

Edited by Rman823

Just now, Krissykins said:

Wait, Truth Or Dare’s opening weekend is going to be similar to Scream 4, which opened on this exact weekend 7 years ago today. It also had Lucy Hale in it. 

I’m still disapointed when I think of its opening. I had been hyped for months and those 50M + OW predictions got to me. 

Well, that's a bit of a twist of fate for Rampage. Really strong Saturday increase. But it's still not looking too great. It may have a good 2nd weekend drop, but its DOM total will depend entirely on how it survives against that one movie that starts with "Avengers" and ends with "War". (Though OS is probably really promising right now.)