aabattery

You Were Never Really Here (2018)

GRADE IT  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

this movie rules. everything cinematography, sound, editing, music, performances working at the top of their game to deliver a fuck you visceral experience. lynne ramsay needs to be in every "best directors currently working" conversation. Best. Movie. Of. The. Year (so far)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Anyone care to tell us what it's about?

Joaquin Phoenix is a low-level hitman with a lot of personal trauma and issues. He gets hired for a job that gets ugly fast, goes bad, and spirals him into all sorts of PTSD as he grinds his way towards revenge and some sort of personal meaning and atonement. 

I read a couple of reviews calling it a sort of 21st century TAXI DRIVER and that's a decent sort of description, al least in terms of the vibe. 

Edited by Trolltastic Tele
  • Thanks 1

I think the portrayal of the girl (stoic to the point of self-parody and overall a symbol rather than a person, which didn't have to be this way) holds it back from greatness, and I'm not enamored of its use of "Angel Baby" and the PTSD flashbacks either, although I get the purpose of the latter. Everything else very strong, if not as revelatory and uncompromising as We Need to Talk About Kevin was. Inspired use of sound and editing, and the final scene is a multilayered beauty. 

• Like 2

Loved it! Can't think of a movie I've seen this year that tops it. Lynne Ramsay directs the fuck out of it. The shot compositions, cinematography, sound design, editing... everything just feels right. Not to mention Joaquin's performance and the score.

9/10

• Like 1

Not only is this film uncompromising in its brutality and doesn't stray away from making you feel disturbed in the slightest, but it's also tragically heartbreaking and ends on a more thoughtful note than one would expect from this sort of movie.  I absolutely adored this.  Joaquin Phoenix is the GOAT.  Also I cried when he was petting his cat and I have no idea why.

• Like 1

got lost through watching the first 30 minutes.  Just re-watched it, much better.  

he gets lost in his thoughts and memories and they are shown on screen and you have to differentiate between that and reality.

there is little narration for the movie, so you are left on your own, but it is another good Joaquin Phoenix one though.  

A little too slow and grim to make it on the top of his list, it is faster then The Master, but The Master is a solid A and this is barely an A-

it was hard to tell when this was going to end, it ended around 85 minutes, I felt like it could have kept trudging along like Knight of Cups and you would have to swallow portion by portion while he walks around in his nightmare.

The ending was good in the restaurant when he imagines blowing his brains out at the restaurant table.  It felt like he was living the life of a bum whose thoughts won't leave him and is at lunch with a little girl for some reason and is just over it and has no idea where he really is.  

Edited by gravestonedt

Saw this at a film festival 2 years back with Lynne Ramsay in attendance, but I was so tired from school at the time that I almost fell asleep. Rewatching it it's incredible. If Taxi Driver feels dream-like, this feels like sporadically waking up from 30 minute naps if that makes sense. Joaquin's amazing (no duh) and the directing's top notch.