Eric Duncan

Rocketman l May 31, 2019 l Paramount l Elton John biopic l Taron Egerton stars and looking sexy as h*ck

Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-05-16 02:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	46.232%	31810	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
2	18.092%	12448	Avengers Endgame (2019)
3	11.772%	8100	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
4	02.523%	1736	A Dogs Journey
5	02.365%	1627	The Hustle (2019)
6	02.166%	1490	Aladdin (2019)
7	01.725%	1187	Long Shot
8	01.545%	1063	Fandango Early Access Rocketman
9	01.413%	972	Avengers Endgame  (2019)
10	01.360%	936	The Sun Is Also a Star
11	01.138%	783	The Intruder (2019)
12	01.030%	709	Poms
13	00.738%	508	Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019)
14	00.606%	417	Booksmart Early Access
15	00.525%	361	Fandango Early Access The Secret Life of Pets 2
16	00.494%	340	UglyDolls
17	00.461%	317	Dark Phoenix
18	00.459%	316	Aladdin
19	00.424%	292	Captain Marvel (2019)
20	00.424%	292	Spider-Man Far From Home (2019)
21	00.414%	285	Tolkien
22	00.397%	273	Godzilla King of the Monsters -
23	00.388%	267	Saga of Tanya the Evil – the Movie
24	00.308%	212	The Curse of La Llorona
25	00.296%	204	Rocketman

===

Early Access Rocketman getting a boost tonight! 

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Featuring it doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be shown explicitly lol

Even then it's still pretty rare for a big movie. I'm tired of nearly every film having out of place lesbian scenes yet to see any man on man you gotta go to the theater equivalent of the dark web. You know, those "fancy" theaters that only show trailers for turkish films and let you smoke inside for some reason.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MikeQ said:

An American 'R' rating vs a 'PG' rating in BC does seem like a pretty significant difference. In Ontario, I find often enough that films rated 'R' in the US are only 14A here - and so Canada seems generally more relaxed with film ratings, I would say. But I don't think I've ever seen an 'R' in the US be only a PG here.

Peace,

Mike

I've always found BC to be one of the more lax provinces, with many films getting 14A that get 18A in Alberta or Ontario. But then again, Canada gets a lot of PG-13 rated films get 14A's (like World War Z for example)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Perhaps the Canadian board is fine with gay sex and swearing but violence and gore is a no no, 

Fair enough. If my memory serves correctly, most of the movies I have witnessed being rated 18A were done so due to "extreme violence" (save for the 50 Shades franchise). Wick 3, Logan, Deadpool 2, 300, Kick Ass etc. 

• Like 1

Though John’s participation doesn’t hold the film back as much as he holds it together; he authorised the production to ransack his song catalogue and recreate all his most outrageous getups, the music and costuming being the least-horrible components of an otherwise dreadful sit. But neither element can honestly be attributed to Fletcher, who’s leeched all present brilliance from John’s legacy instead of conjuring his own. Even the musical numbers, closer to Broadway than Hollywood in their willingness to dive into fantasy, foreground the tunes while disguising subpar choreography with flashy camerawork.

Rocketman aspires to nothing more than colourful reportage of a life already well-known to the public, dissolving into an encyclopedia entry as the final title cards inform us that things turned out alright for this “Elton John” fellow. The recent box-office success of Bohemian Rhapsody indicates that the rote and expected are precisely what the people desire, the equivalent of yelling at the film industry to shut up and play the hits.

More troubling still, the critical corps at Cannes – the last line of defence against mediocrities desperate to be liked – seem to have largely given this one a pass, judging from the robust applause at this morning’s press screening. To quote the great sage Dewey Cox: goddammit, this is a dark fucking period.

https://lwlies.com/reviews/rocketman/

Why do I get the feeling that this is far more on point than the positive reviews.

• Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

On point or not there's not much more worthless in film criticism than a reviewer taking to task other reviewers of a film for liking or disliking a film they don't.  It's a bizarre attempt to make theirs the authoritative or "truthful voice" - in this case by being obnoxiously condescending and dismissive.   As a reviewer just state why you like or don't like a film, there's no need to characterize and police the likes and dislikes of others.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

https://lwlies.com/reviews/rocketman/

Why do I get the feeling that this is far more on point than the positive reviews.

What a stupid review. The reviewer is essentially criticizing the director for not making a film about a real person's life more his own, and the audience for wanting that. Well.....yeah.

I know, we're all wretched simpletons aren't we,  Mr. snobby critic.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, filmlover said:

These movies are best approached for what they really are (the only chance we'll probably ever get to hear the greatest hits mixed in movie theater surround sound) and not what they could've been (truly warts-and-all).

Biopics can't be character assassinations otherwise they don't get made or in the case of ones about band or musicians, you won't get access to the music.