Eric Duncan

Rocketman l May 31, 2019 l Paramount l Elton John biopic l Taron Egerton stars and looking sexy as h*ck

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

This movie is significantly better than Bohemian Rhapsody.  Still a bad movie.

How is it bad?

As someone who loved Bohemian Rhapsody I'm not concerned in the least, but I am curious.

It’s like a C.  Musical scenes are good and Elton John’s music is far better integrated within the actual movie.  It still goes through every musical biopic cliche you expect it to, the drama is unengaging and the framing device doesn’t work.  It completely lost me in the first half and it never won me back with the second half

It's fun. It has the problems you would expect from a music biopic, but it transcends it all thanks to a strong direction and flair, and fun musical numbers. Sexy Eggsy's sexy, and Richard Madden's a snack.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It’s like a C.  Musical scenes are good and Elton John’s music is far better integrated within the actual movie.  It still goes through every musical biopic cliche you expect it to, the drama is unengaging and the framing device doesn’t work.  It completely lost me in the first half and it never won me back with the second half

How is Taron as Elton and Jamie Bell as Bernie?

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

It's fun. It has the problems you would expect from a music biopic, but it transcends it all thanks to a strong direction and flair, and fun musical numbers. Sexy Eggsy's sexy, and Richard Madden's a snack.

So it's more musical than biopic? Does it recreate real life events, I know Dodger Stadium is one of them as it featured in the trailer. 

Edited by Jonwo

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

So it's more musical than biopic? Does it recreate real life events, I know Dodger Stadium is one of them as it featured in the trailer. 

No, it's still a biopic, and basically goes through his life story, but it uses Elton songs for certain montages or to express how a character is feeling. Don't know how accurate it is though. Don't really know Elton's history all that well.

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

how's robb stark?

He's basically a moustache twirling villain, but he's fun

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What was everyone's crowd reaction to the movie?

Laughs at the funny parts, sighs at the sad part. People clapped at the end three times (!), and it seemed like people had a good time.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Like three people clapped at the end and a few chuckles I guess.  Nothing other than that (sold out theater btw)

lol so nothing like BoRap I guess, whose WOM was largely powered by that energetic Live Aid ending. Oh well, I imagine this will have fine staying power either way given how barren competition for it is for most of the summer aside from...Yesterday? And it should easily co-exist with that given this is R and that's PG-13.

Oh yeah and there's no reason this should be R as long as you take out the F-bombs.  The sex scene would probably fit fine in a PG-13 movie if it were between a straight couple, but I guess because it's a gay couple then that makes it an R-rated sex scene

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

How is Bryce Dallas Howard? her part as Elton's mother is interesting as the reviews says she was portrayed as cold hearted but I believe Elton and his mother didn't have a good relationship.

She was...not that great.

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Oh yeah and there's no reason this should be R as long as you take out the F-bombs.  The sex scene would probably fit fine in a PG-13 movie if it were between a straight couple, but I guess because it's a gay couple then that makes it an R-rated sex scene

It'd be very weird to have an Elton John biopic and not have swearing. 

15 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

He's basically a moustache twirling villain, but he's fun

little finger and robb stark playing the exact same character in the exact same manner across two different biopics released 6 months apart is pretty weird