Box Office Hit

Annabelle Comes Home | Warner Bros. | June 26, 2019 | 23rd Most Profitable Movie of 2019

This movie was GREAT. Easily the best non Wan TCU movie, as the title says, it's a coming home. It has everything a TCU fan came to expect from this franchise, and the acting was amazing the main trio carries the movie.

The most shocking aspect was the direction, I'm never going to trash a director before seeing a movie again, Gary commands the movie like a king, and has a unique style instead of just copying Wan's cinema like Sandberg did.

It is exactly what this Universe needed post The Nun. And it makes me hate Warner for wasting it on summer, this movie screams Halloween, it should've been released in October where it would dominate the month.

Anyway, great movie, really hope it will have a leggy run.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Now at 70% on RT. That must be one of the most impressive increases I've ever seen. It went from 50% to 70% in the span of few days. It may get a fresh certified after all.

Conjuring 2 started at like 62% and ended at 80%

It was simply delightful. I'm amazed by how well Dauberman handled his directorial debut, and what became ridiculously clear to me is he really loves this universe, something I never gave him any credit for earlier. This didn't feel like someone else stepping into the Warren's house trying to capture the feel and the look of these characters and their lives but never really getting there, it truly felt like Ed and Lorraine. Their relationship is just as strong here as it has ever been and we still get those wonderful little moments that reaffirm my belief that they're the best couple in any movie franchise out there right now.

I said this a few pages ago, the worst that could come of this movie is thinking Dauberman really should've been the one to have been handed The Conjuring 3... and it definitely came true. This even had the opening title crawl, this was a Conjuring universe installment. Like the first Conjuring it's got a set up and a payoff involving a short piano melody, like The Conjuring 2 it uses multiple songs throughout, and like both Conjuring movies it establishes the layout of the house very well early on. There are several little nuggets from both films sprinkled in and none of them feel forced or unnatural, it just feels like it all belongs here. It feels incredibly James Wan-esque in a way that doesn't come across like Dauberman trying to emulate Wan's style. Which again, he really should've been handed the director's chair for Conjuring 3 over Chaves... shit let Dauberman be one of the writers too.

There's comedy, but never in a way that's intrusive to the horror elements, it's all just rooted in the characters which is not the same thing as some critics makes it seem (you'll find the same type of humor in The Conjuring 2 for gods sake). We've gone back to the focus remaining on likeable characters, and you know they really nailed that here when you are fine with letting Ed and Lorraine take a backseat and instead have us focus on the others. We obviously will see Judy again but I hope we see the other ones as well. Daniela's story wrapped up wonderfully in a really touching scene that I didn't see coming from a movie called Annabelle Comes Home. It appears that the key to make Dauberman's Conjuring universe scripts work if your name isn't David F. Sandberg, is to just let Dauberman direct them himself.

The Conjuring universe is back up and running and I want to see a lot more movies like this, and far less like Curse of La Llorona.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great review! I agree with everything you said. This is the kind of movie that this Universe needs to become (even) bigger. I'm so sad that the biggest chance that the Universe had at expanding the audience was wasted with The Nun, if Annabelle Comes Home had the same buzz as this one, TCU would've become a $500m WW+ type of franchise, IMO.

This movie may underperform, but the reaction on the fandom is strong enough that can help TC3 to break out, and even generate some spin offs.

More Gary Dauberman, please, he needs to become the Kevin Feige of TCU.

Deadline says 2 1/2 stars on PostTrack and 42% recommend. Is that accurate? That would be... really bad.

Dauberman's hard to gauge. THE NUN is really bad - I think it's genuinely one of the worst horror films of 2018 - but it's also clear that it was reconfigured in post, so who knows how much of that was his fault.

I'd probably say they should get Dauberman to direct either The Nun 2 or Crooked Man. 

I imagine Annabelle Comes Home will be profitable but I do think it'll be the last Annabelle film and they can focus on other characters or introduce new one. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I'd probably say they should get Dauberman to direct either The Nun 2 or Crooked Man. 

I imagine Annabelle Comes Home will be profitable but I do think it'll be the last Annabelle film and they can focus on other characters or introduce new one. 

They introduced A LOT of characters on this movie.

6 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Deadline says 2 1/2 stars on PostTrack and 42% recommend. Is that accurate? That would be... really bad.

Dauberman's hard to gauge. THE NUN is really bad - I think it's genuinely one of the worst horror films of 2018 - but it's also clear that it was reconfigured in post, so who knows how much of that was his fault.

WTF is wrong with people? How can anyone not like this movie? It carries the essence of this Universe. Audience Score on RT makes a lot more sense than this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Yeah i do not believe Anthony with this one. The audience score on RT do not match at all with what he is saying.

• Like 1

It's too likeable of a movie for me to imagine or understand regular audiences not liking it. I certainly don't need any more Annabelle movies, but I'd love to see all of these characters again. Find something else to do, but this is the right tone and feel for the universe that I'd love to see more of.

• Like 2