Box Office Hit

Annabelle Comes Home | Warner Bros. | June 26, 2019 | 23rd Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Soooo, this is basically The Conjuring 3. Smart tactic to avoid a potentially big box office drop-off from Creation - and if you're asking why would that happen anyway, the simple reason of "why the hell are we even getting an Annabelle 3" isn't good enough? Also, The Nun - which was written by the first-time director of this movie - might've hurt the goodwill of TCU a bit. Still, this will be big nonetheless. Dunno if it is as smart to open in early July where it has to deal with a crapton of big openers, though (and the remake/reboot of The Grudge just a little over a month later). 

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Soooo, this is basically The Conjuring 3. Smart tactic to avoid a potentially big box office drop-off from Creation - and if you're asking why would that happen anyway, the simple reason of "why the hell are we even getting an Annabelle 3" isn't good enough? Also, The Nun - which was written by the first-time director of this movie - might've hurt the goodwill of TCU a bit. Still, this will be big nonetheless. Dunno if it is as smart to open in early July where it has to deal with a crapton of big openers, though (and the remake/reboot of The Grudge just a little over a month later). 

Is that really gonna do well tho?

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Is that really gonna do well tho?

I mean, we can never count out big horror releases nowadays. I know it doesn't seem like it has any hype, but I'd be careful in underestimating these movies. The Grudge was a massive hit. DOM, it made more money than every Conjuring movie except the 1st one and The Nun........ and it came out in 2004. And the sequel was brutally frontloaded (sub-2x multiplier for the bitch), but it was still profitable as well. And this new movie has a healthy mid-August release date where it can benefit from the doldrums of late Summer to perform decently. Sure, It 2 will cripple the fuck out of it, but it has a solid month to do well until then. I'm not saying it's gonna be a breakout, it could very well be Rings 2.0. But who knows.

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Gary Dauberman's incredibly hit-or-miss, so I guess this is good news for IT 2 - even if he wrote something apparently as awful as The Nun.

Also, this should probably move to mid-August where the last Annabelle film launched

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Shocks me, even though I love this universe and these characters in particular. Is directing really where Gary Dauberman should've been all along?

I'm very curious to see how much of It was him and how much was Fukunaga - since that film's script is miles beyond anything else he's written in that it's actually good (Sandberg made Annabelle 2 work even with a poor script imo)

1 hour ago, TMP said:

I'm very curious to see how much of It was him and how much was Fukunaga - since that film's script is miles beyond anything else he's written in that it's actually good (Sandberg made Annabelle 2 work even with a poor script imo)

I hesitate to give him any credit for It considering his track record. If he's somehow succeeded with Annabelle 3, I will still hesitate to say it's working because of the script lol. Sandberg did make the second one work far better than it should have so that might be what's happened here and Dauberman's just stronger as a director.

• Like 1