Box Office Hit

Annabelle Comes Home | Warner Bros. | June 26, 2019 | 23rd Most Profitable Movie of 2019

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Not as scary is disappointing to hear, though this is the 3rd Annabelle spin-off alone so I guess there aren't that many genuine scares left to be had. They've got to start doing some fresh Conjuring universe entries.

Well there is reviewers that do say its has some pretty scary moments too. Its different in each person what is scary to them.

25 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Why the shit is this opening on a Wednesday? Makes it hard to predict but even worse much, much less fun to track. I fucking HATE when movies come out on days besides Friday, tbh. Unless it is Xmas. 

For the tracking thread peeps, Far From Home has been a nightmare. At least with Annabelle we can point to Purge or Happy Death Day. The last Tuesday openers were Vice and Holmes and Watson. Then before that was Amazing Spider-Man. We have nothing to go off of.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Why the shit is this opening on a Wednesday? Makes it hard to predict but even worse much, much less fun to track. I fucking HATE when movies come out on days besides Friday, tbh. Unless it is Xmas. 

Only reason I can think of is FFH opening on Tuesday and Annabelle wants to have 6.5 days where it doesn't have to face it.  If it opened on Friday, it'd have Thr previews (which are minimal for horror films), Fri, Sat, Sun, and Mon before getting crushed on Tue, Wed, and Thr.

Sure they're not remotely in the same demo, but having a week's worth of days as the main 'new' wide opening film probably counts for something.  But it is literally the only reason I can really think of.

Basically, they're trying to shift the 'first week sales' from July 3rd - July 4th to June 26th - June 27th while also maybe still getting a holiday boost.

Someone has a better answer, I'd love to hear it.

They've made a big mistake releasing it against so much competition. IMO. Not sure about other places, but here in Brazil buzz is quite low, despite the franchise being super popular here (The Nun finished in the top 5 of 2018 in ADMs). I think it will have a strong drop. They should've released it in August like A:C.

4 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Now at 66% on RT. Poor @CJohn, will have to use his double account this weekend. giphy.gif

I am quite pleased by this turn of events and much more hyped to see the movie now actually.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

On 6/26/2019 at 9:20 AM, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

They've made a big mistake releasing it against so much competition. IMO. Not sure about other places, but here in Brazil buzz is quite low, despite the franchise being super popular here (The Nun finished in the top 5 of 2018 in ADMs). I think it will have a strong drop. They should've released it in August like A:C.

I knew it would happen, it's also dropping big in several OS markets thanks to strong competition.

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Who cares, it's over. CJOHN was right. RIP TCU. :( 

What the hell are you talking about reviews are good.  OS we have not even seen numbers from yet either and weekend is not even started and you are talking about a bad wednesday. Its a wednesday.

27 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah...and? I'm not talking about the number as a whole, I'm talking about the internal multiplier.

Baumer posted this in the Wednesday thread.

How many people honestly knew that Annabelle was coming out on Wednesday. I don't think most people knew it was coming out early and Friday is much more of a traditional date to release a movie. I'm sure Annabelle will be just fine. And this panic about a Wednesday drop for toy Story after it just did 20 million on Tuesday, come on people. Have you guys not learned anything yet about Tuesday increases and Wednesday drops? 

It makes sense

2 hours ago, gary said:

Baumer posted this in the Wednesday thread.

It makes sense

I respect baumer's opinions and knowledge, but I don't buy it. Like I said, Wednesday or not, that multi is new territory. We've never had to defend a Wednesday opener like this before? Why now? When I have some time I want to compile a list of Wednesday openers and their previews-to-opening day multis and see if any of them are comparable.