baumer

Avengers Infinity War Part 1 (2018)

Grade it  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

1 hour ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

@That Ambitious Guy @Critically Acclaimed Panda

gaming the votes can be considered trolling and the staff is discussing your punishment. 

Changed it, I wasn’t aware this was seen as an issue or trolling (usually saw it as a joke for big blockbusters pre-release) but I’ll not do it again as I don’t want to be seen as a troll.  Thanks for letting me know this was an issue.

(For some reason it won’t let me just delete a vote so I’ll put in a B until After I see it Saturday night)

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

I mean, obviously my vote is gonna change to what my actual opinion is when I see the film.  But it seems odd to call me and Panda out specifically when like 5-6 other people were doing it before about half  of them shifted their votes after seeing it; if you saw it in this thread about a day or two earlier, then we wouldn't be the only ones getting called out for  it.  I did it for Last Jedi too before changing it after seeing the film.   It's just a joke

Well sorry i was guilty off this too, sorry. 

• Like 1

I never really got on the hype train for this one, so I'm really glad to say that I got a lot out of it. After two pretty good scores, Silvestri's work here was fantastic. Nice to see Thor get a good role too. Bucky only getting a useless, glorified cameo was some much-needed mercy.

Rhodey continuing to stick around even though nobody cares about him is really becoming hilarious.

Looking forward to having a much smaller cast for the next one tbh.

• Like 3

That was emotionally exhausting and exhilarating, all at the same time.  And if it wasn't for a planned post-movie debrief with the BFF, I would've gone right back in for a second showing.  

A solid 8/10 film. I enjoyed the interactions, though some of the back-and-forths were getting kind of tiresome by the midway point. The action scenes were alright, with the best one being the battle on Titan where everyone ganged up on Thanos. Speaking of Thanos, he's the best CBM villain since Ledger's Joker. I loved every time he was on screen. Aside from Thanos, Thor and Gamora are my MVPs. The amount of Marvel characters in this movie were a blessing and a curse. It was awesome to see them all in the same movie, but more than half of them just felt like background characters without much to do. 

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I don't feel all the parts add up to it being the greatest Marvel movie. I agree with ddddeeee. I'm ready for a smaller cast in Avengers 4. 

Edited by MrGamer
  • Like 1

Thor and Scarlet Witch really the only ones other than Thanos to get some proper meat but thankfully they delivered, and they're two of the ones I've liked more anyway. Fun ride, even with an ending that everyone alive knows will be undone. Much better than Civil War, props to the Russos and their writers on that, even with a bigger cast. Good action in this one too

Brolin's Thanos great and Ebony Maw hilarious but the rest of the Thanos gang disposable and pretty whack

On to the last hurrah for the original cast, and the hilarity of ppl at Marvel trying to pretend that Spider-Man and Black Panther and Doctor Strange are really dead

• Like 4

I need death to be impactful, forceful, you feel it in your chest, it pisses you off, makes you sad. Killmonger, Han Solo, Jack Dawson, Marley, Radio Raheem, Gwen Stacy, "Rickyyyy!!!!", Mufasa, Bishop, the crew in Deep Impact, even Batman's "death" in TDKR had that gut wrenching feeling for a whole 5 minutes. ere, everyone...fades into ash. That's it? Seriously?

We've been building up this whole "he can end half the universe with a snap"...and half the universe literally fades away. Seriously? Anticlimactic. It was so stupid I had forgotten about Loki and Gamora at that point. Everyone just fades. If we have to go that route, what is so wrong with a simple vanish? The fading away was a gimmick to pull tears, but not on ounce of tear was released in the theater room.

IThe action was stylized, which I dig, but there was so much stone politics and back and forthing that it didn't have enough time to stick. You're on Titan, they're kicking ass, but now it's Wakanda, and now they're at Wakanda so long I've forgotten all about Titan, oh here's Titan, let's stay here now- oh it's Thor's Hammer planet, cool let's chill here - fuck you you're in Wakanda again.

I'm a fan who's seen all the movies and even I was getting confused at all the jumping around. And like people say "the best jokes were in the trailer", I felt like the best action was in the trailer. Wakanda was like the Civil War airport, accept it disappointing me now rather than when I rewatch in 4 months. No jazz, no pazazz, just hand to hand combat. Proxima Midnight (?) getting thrown into the blade wheel was badass, I smiled at that, but other than that Wakanda felt wasted.

Most of the characters felt either wasted or there to keep a more central character busy aka Rocket with Thor. If Panther wasn't in this, wouldn't of changed a damn thing. Everything involving the Titan scenes, Thanos, Spiderman (no bias), and Dr. Strange were the coolest parts, and this Tony Stark was perfect. Other than that, I don't know. They drug the Star Lord and Drax humor into the ground of course, but Stark humor was on point.

I'm so let down. I feel duped by Marvel. Felt like they took an easy way in, walked an easy path throughout, and took an easy way out. Also the Gamora fall felt very cheesy with the dissolve transition. NEVER use a dissolve during a dramatic scene, that's what R&B music videos do! 

I don't know, whatever. Maybe my opinion will change with sleep, but it was a let down, which is amazing considering it was already hard for me to get hyped for this because I had to avoid everything Avengers because of spoiler fear. I didn't hate it, no F or anything, I'm not about to boycott or go trash the audience score, I'm just let down. Got so hyped up for the championship, and the score ended up being 60-7. I don't know.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I never really got on the hype train for this one, so I'm really glad to say that I got a lot out of it. After two pretty good scores, Silvestri's work here was fantastic. Nice to see Thor get a good role too. Bucky only getting a useless, glorified cameo was some much-needed mercy.

Rhodey continuing to stick around even though nobody cares about him is really becoming hilarious.

Looking forward to having a much smaller cast for the next one tbh.

They need guys like Rhodes, Falcon, Hawkeye etc. though.

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Thor and Scarlet Witch really the only ones other than Thanos to get some proper meat but thankfully they delivered, and they're two of the ones I've liked more anyway. Fun ride, even with an ending that everyone alive knows will be undone. Much better than Civil War, props to the Russos and their writers on that, even with a bigger cast. Good action in this one too

Brolin's Thanos great and Ebony Maw hilarious but the rest of the Thanos gang disposable and pretty whack

On to the last hurrah for the original cast, and the hilarity of ppl at Marvel trying to pretend that Spider-Man and Black Panther and Doctor Strange are really dead

What is the consensus on Civil War? Do people like it? 

I've had the impression the Internet loves the Captain America trilogy, though none of them impress me.

• Like 1

Outstanding movie.  Not too many surprises but I'm guessing spiderman's death will traumatize some kids.

I guess when the Russo's said that it was a complete story with an ending they forgot to tell us the story ended with the bad guy winning. :sparta:

I don't get the complaints about "part 1/part 2"

This is nothing like Potter or Mockingjay where they took one story and cut in in half.

IW was Thanos story.  He had a goal... we watched him work towards his goal... he completed his goal.  IW Part 2 will be a different story but obviously connected.

More like TFA (search for Luke)/ TLJ (events after Luke's found) then like MJ1/MJ2

• Like 5

Yeah, I liked it more than Civil War. Not perfect as I think it has some structural issues + some odd character decisions + some visual noise moments, but for the most part, it's well paced, well acted, has surprisingly balanced use of humor, Thanos is an amazing villain, and the ending - although probably underplayed by the fact that we know the 2nd movie will reverse it in parts - was genuinely shocking. This movie is a Part 1, after all, and for what is effectively a setup ending for the sequel, it was a startling and bleak ending that took the air out of the audience collectively. A lot of whiffs and tears during the finale, and audible gasps when the credits started rolling; there was a teen girl had to basically be dragged out of the theater when it was all over :rofl:

But yeah, it's imperfect, but as a rollercoaster ride that gives you a culmination episode of the MCU TV series' 10 year buildup.... it's pretty awesome. It's basically the Red Wedding meets Hardhome. And gotta disagree with @Jandrew in that I liked the choice of slowly letting the characters fade rather than them all just vanishing or being gone after the snap, because, like you said, it feels a lot more tearjerky this year, and it absolutely resonated and worked with me and just about everyone in my theater experience... that I noticed (especially Spider-Man's death). If everyone was just gone, there would be a feeling of emptiness and dread, but also a feeling of..... a "that's it?" kinda thing. I feel like it would be more anticlimatic. But obviously, this is all personal preference and I respect your opinion :)

Overall, I really enjoyed myself. Can't quite give it an A or A- for now, but I'd go B+.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

I have very few problems with this outside of a few plot conveniences and am still thinking about it hours later which is a lot more than I can say about most MCU films. I echo a lot of other critics when I say that it is a lot to take in but that's not necessarily a negative, because this felt every bit the event it was hyped up as. It's a miracle it even works as well as it does with all it has to juggle.

The Russos did what I wanted and brought the stakes and made Thanos a character from the moment he stepped on screen. Haven't seen a villain that good since Joker in TDK. Hell of an entrance. Even though we know where this is probably going, the ending is a bold move for a summer movie. The Avengers needed to lose here to show how huge a threat Thanos was after all this build up and they did. That cut to black with no hope in site was very un Marvel.

Most people (including me) predicted that Steve and Tony were going to go...and it sure looked like Tony was gone in that scene on Titan...yet the characters everyone thought were safe, were the ones to die at the end. Though it won't be permanent, that was not something I expected and I give the writers props. And yeah, the Spider Man scene was emotional. Tom Holland really sold his spider sense going off and having no control there. Have already seen Twitter breaking over that.

Very curious where they go from here and can already see all the possibilities and character arcs that could be present in 4. Love that the last film will have the original Avengers intact with what I think is going to be a sacrifice from either Tony and Steve (or both). 

Think the box office for 4 is also going to be huge because that's a major cliffhanger to end on.

Definitely going to see it again in Dolby sometime next week. But I don't see my rating changing. It's easily one of my favorite MCU films next to Civil War.

A

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 3

Enjoyable to some extent... but in the end this year-long build up just leaves me cold. There have been movies on the way I really liked, some I thought were really bad. All in all nothing felt fullfilling about this... nor particulary touching or satisfying. For that I have long lost the ability to differentiate all these movies in my head looking back at them. And who really cares what happened in which one. It is more of the same with the spiral of making it all louder, bigger and more epic becoming a neverending machine of well-made but somewhat interchangeable action scenes (not saying that some stuff in there is remarkable and really well made). Most of it is entertaining. Not more, not less.

B-

• Like 2

Just can't get past it how bad, obvious, fake and silly the ending is. Marvel always struggled with its third act and it was evident here. Poor editing and direction as well. Overall it is disappointing and it's a bizarre film, because they got the concept and Thanos down to perfection, so potential was there to be epic but somehow they managed to screw it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And gotta disagree with @Jandrew in that I liked the choice of slowly letting the characters fade rather than them all just vanishing or being gone after the snap, because, like you said, it feels a lot more tearjerky this year

I didn't say it was tearjerky, I said it was a cheap attempt at trying to draw tears. I personally don't see how anyone got sad seeing that - Star Lord himself was like "well, this sucks" - Spiderman was the only one who actually seemed scared - but I digress, everyone is different.

So I slept on it, and I'll say:

Bad:

- the fade deaths. It was awful then and still awful now. Nothing will change that, ruined the ending. I personally would've prefer a vanishment or something else, not slow ash fades.

- Speaking of the ash fades, if you're going to do that, provide emotion. The faders were stoic and the non-faders were stoic. Star Lord even joked. The only one who was actually terrified was Peter Parker.

- Convoluted pacing. Too much jumping from here to there and over here and over there. It's not the too many characters that's the issue, it's characters in too many places. Hopefully A4 finally puts everyone together and it's a straightforward road to kicking Thanos' ass.

- Not knowing when to cool it with the Star Lord and Drax humor

- Some areas got a bit monologue-y/preachy distracting

- Something felt off about the opening scene. Don't know if it was the CGI, the length, the monologuing, but it felt a little cheap like TA's opening scene.

- Characters not making an overall impact/felt like they were there for a sole purpose. Panther could've not been in this, don't feel like it would've mattered. Felt like Groot was only there to make the axe, etc.

Good:

- Seeing the gang all together

- Everything Titan.

- Doctor Strange, Spiderman, Tony Stark/new Iron Man toys, Gamora, Thanos, lightning Thor

- The stylized New York and Titan action

- Proxima Midnight being throw into the Mad Max wheel

- Thor and Rocket banter

- Not feeling like a 2 1/2 hour movie

- Random Red Skull. I don't know, it was cool.

- Doctor Stranger mindfucking us. What-did-he-do. He did something.

- No Hawkguy or Ant Man. Actually a good thing they didn't show up, they wouldn't have fit and A4 will do them better justice

- Nebula legit caring about Gamora

- Spiderman swinging through New York again

- Most characters taking things serious/having their game faces

- The way the score stuck out in certain places ie. Cap's return, Spidey's Avengers christening, etc.

So yeah, even though my review above is passionate, I didn't hate the movie, I hated the fade. The movie is B- territory, dipping its toes in C+. For all the faults, still better than Ultron, which I don't think is as awful as people say either.

• Like 2

Civil War was better for all its flaws. Drama, conflict and stakes were much tighter because it was framed through the Captain America series even though things were left dangling. As for the antagonist, Zemo > Thanos (They try really hard to humanize this cardboard villain through repetitive dialog about mercy killing and Brolin's CG eyes pouring purple tears over his "little one"...Ssssssssorry I still don't care about your genocidal shopping to collect multicolor jewels, dude).

Infinity Wars is stuck in second gear the whole movie, too many characters to juggle, many times you wonder why what should have been and feels like Thor meets Guardians vs Thanos (I'd say that first act almost was a better GOTG movie than the supposed Gunn's GOTG...) sloppily had to shoehorn all the rest of the known MCU roster because the movie is titled Avengers (minus Avengers member Hawkeye and Ant-Man, I mean there's a weird Red Skull whack cameo but those two which were in Civil War are just nowhere to be seen...:wintf:) as Earth seems such an after thought in Thanos plan (How anticlimactic to set your final showdown in a non-descript random bush after exploring much more cinematographic and graphic settings priorhands...I mean this is the most expensive blockbuster ever made?).

This movie is a comics nerd fantasy coming true for sure but since I'm not one, I was pretty bored throughout after the first act, the movie is just stuck in a rut past the gimmick of all those comics characters you came to enjoy ever since 2008's Iron Man meeting for the first time in this shared universe, because of the near constant exposition (no matter how hard the Russos and scriptwriters Markus/McFeely try, this Infinity Stones affair is still boring for any non comics fan out there. It's too late to pick up the slack for a dozen movies which were supposed to sloppily set that up already).

It seems half-baked (pun intended), as characters teleport in and out of the screen (In the middle of the movie, you almost forgot Captain America is actually in there), everything come in and fade away without really sinking in  (Wanting the emotional punch of a real death as a cliffhanger without really feeling like one since you know all those characters are going to be resuscitated in their upcoming movies...Did I mention Loki and Gamora die too? For realsies! Yawn),  it really feels like a Part one of a two act movie instead of one self-contained movie made of several acts like Civil War was.

This movie is only made for the hardcore MCU fans who will geek over every single second of the movie to the dismay of casual audience whose memory of this movie will fade like ashes as soon as they exit the theater.

(In that regard, I pity those who went in with only Black Panther as their MCU entry under their belt...:sparta:)

C.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

After ten years and eighteen films of build-up, it's no small compliment to say that Avengers: Infinity War mostly lives up to the immense hype surrounding it. While it practically goes without saying that the viewer *must* at least be familiar with the previous films to derive enjoyment from this one, those who have been invested in the series are likely to enjoy what it serves up immensely. As in their previous outing, Captain America: Civil War, directors Joe and Anthony Russo do an impeccable job of balancing an array of characters and storylines without making the proceedings feel rushed or overstuffed, and each division of the many characters gets powerful emotional payoff by the end of the film. It's clearly a film where everyone involved is bringing their A-game, and that passion translates to a summer blockbuster where the action feels like it might carry genuine consequences. It also does an excellent job of balancing the MCU's trademark quippy humor - still effective as ever - with some admirably dark twists and turns. Without giving anything away, the last ten minutes will probably divide fans, but I felt the execution was effective within the universe's parameters. One of the highest compliments I can pay the film is that even after 2.5 hours of massive action, I wished I could see how the next installment addresses what happens at the end here. As far as performances are concerned, the ensemble is solid as ever in their roles, but Josh Brolin - whose involvement in the franchise has been limited through this point - steals the show as Thanos. Villains have been one of the few recognizable weak points across the MCU thus far, but Brolin's Thanos is an intimidating character whose nuances successfully make his plan feel weighty and far more compelling than the stock "world domination" motivation. On the whole, I know full well that I'm overrating this movie - truthfully, if I were attempting to judge it on its own merits rather than through the perspective of a highly-satisfied fan, my grade would probably be a notch lower. However, in a series so intricate and interconnected that it feels like the closest approximation of a big screen TV series, it feels near-impossible to separate fandom from considerations of the quality of a film whose primary motivation is to deliver upon the vast seeds it has sown across the other films. And in that respect, Avengers: Infinity War is an absolute blast and a very worthy culmination of all that has come across this sprawling saga so far.

A-

Stray Thoughts - and quite a few of them, so I put them in spoiler tags to take up less space:

Spoiler

- I re-watched 17 of the 18 previous movies in the three weeks leading up to the screening last night (thought about seeing Black Panther a third time too, but ultimately opted not to). Unsurprisingly, it was really helpful in terms of recalling important info leading into this film!

- I read somewhere - maybe here? - that someone referred to it as something like "the closest MCU will ever come to making PTA's Magnolia" and that's a pretty accurate assessment. I'm really impressed by how well the filmmakers balanced all the major strands of the story while making only a few of the characters feel underrepresented. (Captain America stands out as one of the few who got less screen time than I expected.)

- Speaking of Cap: is it just me, or did he look oddly similar to Quicksilver when he first appeared in the shadows in this movie?

- Man, you can definitely tell they didn't expect Black Panther to be as big as it was. It took more than an hour for T'Challa to appear onscreen, but he got a ton of chatter and light applause from my audience when he did.

- Gamora's last scene really shook me up. For all the flippancy on display in the Guardians movies and their appearance here, they consistently seem to deliver the biggest emotional payoffs across this franchise. 

- I'm awfully curious as to the exact production cost. It looks every bit like it cost something in excess of $300 million.

- So, about those deaths... Like I said in the review above, I think the character deaths are well-executed within universe. Even though we know it's going to be undone in the next installment, I like the balls on Marvel Studios for committing to an all-out "bad guy wins" finale. I also think it works even better in light of suggestions I've read about what they could be setting up for in next year's sequel. That said... if they expected any savvy viewer to think all these deaths could possibly stick, they blew it to a significant degree when Black Panther faded (I know they didn't think his solo movie would top a billion dollars worldwide, but the sequel hook on that film was so clear that there was no way he was dying permanently) and completely when Spider-Man faded (tellingly, he's the only character in this movie with an announced and dated sequel). I kinda came across as a dick when I said so to my dad during the credits while clearly-distraught teens around us were talking about how sad the deaths were. :lol:

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 2