baumer

Avengers Infinity War Part 1 (2018)

Grade it  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I think I can see where you could call this the MCUs Empire Strikes Back. Not in terms of quality, but more in that in the long term how well this movie works, is dependant on part 2.

I can at least commend it for being a complete story. My feelings may change if I go out and watch it again. Some of the set pieces are nice, Thanos is a great character. The ending is pretty good. I want to see part 2. So it's done it's job well enough.

• Like 1

So this is all spoilers right?  =)

I agree with others who say this is Marvel's Two Towers or Empire Strikes Back.  It's somewhere in that spectrum, but I'll do you one better:

I think this might be the world's first Super Villian movie.

About the only comparison I can think of is Despicable Me, and that's a cartoon made for little kids.  Can someone name an honest to god supervillian movie?  Where the bad guy gets a full treatment... he gets a backstory, has love and loss, makes hard choices, and triumphs over those nasty 'heroes' in the end who just don't understand his important mission?  Deadpool is certainly not it, that's an anti-hero, or reluctant hero story.  This is something entirely different, and entirely new.

There's even scenes in this movie where there are no (or very few) heroes, its all about Thanos.  Gamora and Thanos make a little tag team trip, he kills her and its all about him and his hard choices.  The heroes wants and desires are just those pesky things in the way of his story.  The movie ends with him being completely victorious and getting everything he wants.  I can't think of a comparison.

This movie usurps the Avengers expectation.  The expectation is:  Avengers come together after some turmoil, there's some light sacrifice (maybe a side character dies) and the bad guy is defeated and/or killed.  That's not what this movie is, that's not what happens.

The formula is broken.  I think this is a legendary film, and historically will be on par with ESB.  They managed to create a 'down note' story for the heroes without copying what ESB did.  They gave everybody something new and different, and made it better than what would normally be expected from a movie like this.

• Like 4

Watched it a second time in 3 days and I think this might be the most rewatchable MCU movie since Avengers 1. Despite the downer ending it moves breathlessly through so many planets? dimensions? not sure really, the humor is very well done, most of the individual team ups deliver and so much stuff happen that I really want to see it a third time in theatres.

A lot of stray thoughts:

-Cap team and BP team were a little benched and I was mildly dissapointed the first time because I expected great things from Cap's glorious new beard but I get it. 80% of this movie was Thanos strolling the universe for infinity stones so it makes sense the cosmic part of the MCU would get way more to do. Cap still had a few moments even though half of them were already front and center in the trailers.

-MVPs were the cosmic branch of the mcu Guardians, Thor and Strange. Especially the Guardians were perfect, they didn't had to tone down their weirdness to fit in, more like the other way around. And on top of that Gamora's death was the emotional backbone of the entire movie.  

-The Scope is really gigantic. It's hard to believe how it still works with so many shifts between characters/storylines/locations. Especially certain sequences like Thanos getting the soul stone or the entirety of the battle on Titan were so beautiful and full of color.

-Thanos is a great villain. He's great not because he's so powerful or because he won, but because he's a fully realised character. I never thought I would buy a purple giant with a ridiculous chin crying but I did, Brolin and the effects people really pulled through. I might still rank Avengers Loki higher as my favorite mcu villain but Thanos is up there. The movie is definately all about him and almost frames him as the hero of his own story.

-Tony and Spidey were very cool too, their father-son thing paid off very well in the finale. 

-Also don't think all the SNAP deaths being undone by the next one is something that will invalidate this movie and make it look pointless in hindsight. Yeah even the most casual fan who has no idea what sequel is in the line-up knows that the Black Panther whose first movie he watched a month ago isn't "really" dead but the movie was about Thanos winning or if you prefer all of the Avengers giving everything they got and still losing. It's very pointed that it ends with Thanos enjoying all he has accompliced. His crew was also memorable enough for henchmen especially the shhh meme guy.

-If there's one thing that can undermine the movie though is the non-snap deaths being undone. I see really no point in bringing back Heimdall and Vision or even Loki, they have run their course let them rest but I worry about Gamora's possible rise from the dead. I have a hard time believing she won't be back for GOTG3, and maybe they do it in a way that doesn't make Thanos arc and IW as a whole feel a little hollow, but I wouldn't bet on it.

-Giant Dinklage was fun and all but his segment could use a little trimming, it was the only point in the movie that I felt the pace lagging.

Only thing that frustrated me a bit was Vision. I really don't get how he went from the all powerful being in Ultron to getting stabbed once and have to be carried for the rest of the movie. I'm not one to focus too much on plot details, power levels, plot holes etc I don't care most of the time but this is bothering me for whatever reason.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 4

decent film.  Friends I went with liked it too but feel it's still another disposable Marvel film which isn't necessarily an insult.

Lots of things work for me, like a lot of the interactions were really good.  But overall, the way they acted about spoilers and this changes stuff, etc, etc, in that vein what a letdown.  No one really died of consequence and the ones that did "die" near the end are all coming back so nothing to care about there.  Even the after credits scene we all figured out before going into the movie

I will say Marvel finally got a villain right and since it was mostly a movie about him, I'm glad they didn't drop the ball there.

So enjoyable movie, but no real need to see it again but it did look great in IMAX

B/B-

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1

Thinking on it I’m going back and forth on upping my grade to a B- or keeping the C+.

Theres a lot of great moments all stitched together, and I like that it was played out as a movie where the villain has a goal and achieves it.  But this feels more like a case where the movie’s parts are better than the whole.

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Only thing that frustrated me a bit in the movie was Vision. I really don't get how he went from being the all powerful being in Ultron to getting stabbed once and have to be carried for the rest of the movie in this. I'm not one to focus too much on plot details, power levels, plot holes etc I don't care most of the time but this is bothering me for whatever reason.

I figure that while he was all-powerful by human standards, Thanos had encountered something like him before, and knew of a weakness.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 10:56 PM, YLF said:

Im pretty sure proximity of the movie releases doesn't matter given that captain marvel is opening next march and avengers opens in May, barring some date change. From what we know she'll have much more of a role than BP did in avengers 3 & 4 combined. 

Not saying BP "deserved" to have a big role, his role in this movie was disappointing to BP fans especially since the marketing heavily featured BP and co in the trailers. Its a bit deceptive, especially if bp was your first MCU movie.

Not sure why they would expect anymore than that though. 

BP's movie was as insular as they come. He has had little to no worthy interactions with the rest of the Avengers to be "part" of them. Furthermore, he is a King and has obligations, whereas most of the others are outsiders and whose main job is to protect the world. 

What he does offer the Avengers in Infinity War, is him doing the best he can already. You can hardly expect him to be gallivanting across the world unless he gives up his throne- and honestly, why would he do that? Not at this point, no.

Re: Captain Marvel. 

Who knows what the storyline will be for her movie, but I read she is one of the most powerful Marvel superheroes, so honestly, her real purpose is to be the rabbit in the hat for the Avengers, for whatever reason. It's almost a deus ex machina moment, quite honestly, since she doesn't even exist at this point. 

I'd say Black Panther is more important to those relevant to him, whilst Captain Marvel seems like a Superman-esque excuse whose only purpose is to be able to be strong enough to challenge Thanos. So, completely different. They better come up with a good movie for her because I forgot she would be in Avengers 4, and it would be a major copout. Hell, after it dawning on me, it already feels like a copout. Couldn't Fury have called her earlier? In fact, WTF is Fury even doing alive at this point and what even is his purpose? Having an in-between movie where the Master Ball is found is honestly a bit shit storytelling wise. 

I hope she isn't the main character because I don't give a fuck about her. The more I think about this, the less confidence I have the finale will be good. lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joel M said:

-If there's one thing that can undermine the movie though is the non-snap deaths being undone. I see really no point in bringing back Heimdall and Vision or even Loki, they have run their course let them rest but I worry about Gamora's possible rise from the dead. I have a hard time believing she won't be back for GOTG3, and maybe they do in a way that doesn't make Thanos arc and IW as a whole feel a little hollow, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I really hope Gamora stays dead. Or if she were to be revived, someone else would have to die in her place. 

Let's not have them undo the impact of the movie. 

I find the Captain America series tiresome and pointless because no one ever dies. They resurrected bloody Zola for God's sake. Bucky Barnes should be dead 3 times over. Nick Fury survives again and again. Enough of that nonsense.

I also hope they don't fast forward time in the next one. To skirt over half the world dying with a "3 months later" or something like that would be a copout. I understand the Russos said they were making 2 separate movies, but that would be ridiculously convenient. 

Haven't they already casted an actress to play the teenage version of Paul Rudd's daughter in Ant-Man? Seems very likely that the next film is gonna jump forward a few years and allow us to see how the guilt of what happened still weighs on the survivors.

3 hours ago, BK007 said:

I also hope they don't fast forward time in the next one. To skirt over half the world dying with a "3 months later" or something like that would be a copout. I understand the Russos said they were making 2 separate movies, but that would be ridiculously convenient. 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Haven't they already casted an actress to play the teenage version of Paul Rudd's daughter in Ant-Man? Seems very likely that the next film is gonna jump forward a few years and allow us to see how the guilt of what happened still weighs on the survivors.

I agree that a time jump would be a much much better choice. If they pick up exactly where they left with Tony coming back to earth and all the still alive Avengers immediately start working together while the world falls apart, by the time the snap will be undone it will feel like all the mostly-dead people never left. I want to see people crying in front of monuments, Tony agonizing with guilt, Cap drowining his sorrows in alcohol. Basically I want the next one to be Avengers: the Leftov4rs, at least for the first act.

Edited by Joel M

13 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Basically I want the next one to be Avengers: the Leftov4rs, at least for the first act.

Calling it now: the next one will open with Hawkeye having a nice day with his family and turns around for a few seconds only to find that they've all disappeared when he turns back.

3 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Was dragged to see this trash. 

Got a headache. Just didnt care. And it woudnt end. 

Grade: D

You hate these films.  Not sure why you went to this one, even if you were dragged.  

• Like 1

The thing about this movie is that I think that it is more about the payoff over ten years and seeing that all come on to screen.

I think if one does not care about that MCU dynamic, they will not respond as strongly to many aspects of the film that are about that.

To me, this movie likely had many flaws but I just don't care about them as it was just an overwhelmingly spectacular epic film set across the universe with dozens of characters and epic battles and showdowns.

The scale of this movie is just utterly mindblowing and I think that is why myself and many others salute the Russo Brothers for what they have done.

8.5/10

• Like 3