baumer

Avengers Infinity War Part 1 (2018)

Grade it  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Solid A grade from me.

It would have been A+ but the open ending leaving room for Avengers 4 the following year made it feel a little less complete and thus not as high a grade as I wanted. I have no doubt that if Avengers 4 lives up to the quality of Infinity War, the two films together will smash my rating meter which is something I'm very much looking forward to. 

There is an amazing element to Marvel that I feel must be discussed. I know as box office enthusiasts we often postulate, or have postulated that there will come a time when "superhero movie fatigue syndrome", for lack of a better word, would sink in and audiences would not be as interested in watching these types of movies as they used to. Marvel is showing that this has never been more wrong and I think the reason for this is this; the accumulation of individual marvel movies interlock in such a way that the experience does not diminish but grows with every passing movie. We identify deeply with the host of superhero characters that are thrown at us in a way that there simply would not be time for in a normal film building up character arcs from scratch. Though most characters do not have much screen time, we can read a whole lot more into their individual actions than the scenes suggest. The Captain America entrance scene must have surely sent thrills down the spine of every marvel film fan who had seen Civil war and the circumstances in which that film ended. In a way, I feel this is a reason why this feels more complete than Age of Ultron because, despite the increase in superheroes, we know each character more deeply now. 

For me Thanos was a major reason why the film worked as well as it did. Despite previous Marvel Avenger villains in Loki and Ultron, they simply did not have the presence that Thanos did. Part of that has to do with the fact that Thanos being much more powerful, therefore the stakes being commensurately higher. But he also had a sense of purpose that was not as evident in previous villains. He himself believes deeply that he is a force for good, and as evidenced from the soul stone acquisition, he also knows how to feel love, making him multi-dimensional and more rounded as a result. Much more terrifying than an overtly evil antagonist, plotting dastardly deeds, is a seemingly rational villain capable of even feeling love, committing himself in seemingly evil deeds that he believes to be right. I thought it was quite telling that in many of his fights and confrontations, despite having the power to do so, he often didn't kill needlessly. Make of that what you will. 

Finally, I thought the tone of the movie was perfect. A bone I had with many marvel films to date (although I enjoyed all of them regardless), was that the stakes were never matched by the resulting sacrifice. In all of The Avengers, I think only agent Coulson died. In Age of Ultron it was mainly Quicksilver. I get why the studio doesn't kill of characters willy-nilly but from an objective and logical standpoint, it just doesn't make sense that the protagonists emerge relatively unscathed. This gets turned completely head-over-tails in Infinity War and perhaps for the first time in the MCU, there is a real sense of loss. The element of sacrifice of the irreversible kind, is the hallmark of a true hero and although many of the heroes that crumbled into dust will most likely return, I hope the MCU will make a number of them stick so we can have our heroes, in the truest sense of the word. 

Edited by Fish&chips
  • Like 1

First off, the film broke (during trailers) and I got back in line for an exchange, waited for 90 min, then got free refils, and sat through the same F.. trailers again, so I wasn't in a good mood. Overall I liked it, but boy was I tearing it apart being it didn't succeed in lifting my spirits that rainy afternoon. here goes:

We begin with Asgrard survivors and I had to remember where the last film from a year ago ended. It seems the idea of going to Ireland is over since no one apparently survived that. Great lead in for the GOTG, meeting Thor but otherwise a boring start. Hulk and Dr Strange get more time in this film, and that is Banner not Hulk getting the time. Did fans want more of them? are they the ones with lengthy contracts? (I went in with deathspectations) 

Then it occurred to me, how long will it be before the gang gets together? They never do. The previews with a climactic battle only has one group of them. Others are elsewhere and Rocket Groot, and  Thor are elsewhere. "the only weapon powerful enough to defeat him" Only a god can absorb the power of a sun to power the reactor to build the weapon, now with a tree stump handle. That whole theme is necessary in any scifi battle movie. 

I liked that hulk thanos battle, and hulk being a turtle safe in his shell (safe metaphore) has to be resolved in the sequel just like Thanos needs to learn to be loving and bring back Gamora and use the time stone to resurrect humanity in all it's contractual glory. Maybe even (with Strange powers added) introduce a new younger iron man, etc.. 

Anything can be reset so none of it matters anyway. How many died in Marvel universe before? 

I liked the comic interactions, and some of the new pairings' drama. The 'dad's" comic debate was LMAO. I never even noticed that Hawkeye and Antman (and Waspgirl) were absent. Too busy. 

The ending credit scene did two things for me. I got the tease of Captain Marvel and (since I know that Sam Jackson CAN'T die), I got the safe knowledge that things will be reset. Perhaps she will fly around the world really fast backwards. 

Edited by GroceryGuru
typos
  • Like 1

Loved the movie. Thanos was extraordinary. The best part is not that he is very powerful, but that his contention as to why half te universe needs to be destroyed almost makes sense. Action scenes are superb. Cap's entry got an awesome reaction as did Thor's final fight entry. 

A

• Like 1

It's so weird. It's a film that somehow works despite itself. I don't know that I can call it a good movie. It's almost like a reverse CW, it's pieces somehow make a better whole than they should.

Also, yeah, that ending was most obvious ending possible.

I did like Wong going "your problem now, peace." 

Edited by RandomCat
  • Like 1

For those who say Marvel clearly had no idea how big BP would be, I don't think Black Panther "deserved" a big role in the movie anyway.

His movie is the latest entry and has the least to do with Thanos. It would be ridiculous if he had more than he got. There is absolutely no reason for him to have a greater role in these movies.

As for characters that should have died, you can look to the Captain America films for all of them. Red Skull, Zola, Bucky, Nick Fury all outliving their usefulness. The Thor series has had the most permanent deaths bar Loki, but that is the character anyway, cheating death etc.

This movie had me clutching my armrest for most of the last 30 minutes (if it was at all possible, this movie made me even more tense than A Quiet Place did, and that's no small feat), and I'm far from a Marvel megafan or anything even though I've highly enjoyed most of these movies so far. It really does feel like everything over the past 10 years has been building up to this. It's not a perfect film, of course; it doesn't always transition smoothly from scene to scene and juggle the various different tones and melding of various different universes with total success. But there's no denying that it's exhilarating where it counts and I think the Russo bros did as well as anyone could considering this (and next year's sequel) was always going to be a lofty undertaking that could've left any filmmaker feeling defeated. Seriously, has there ever been a movie with the sheer size of scope that this one has? This movie makes the previous two Avengers films look like small indie flicks in comparison. And that ending is certainly an audacious note to send an audience out on that no comic book movie has dared to before, even if it won't stick in the long run. As expected, the sprawling cast is underutilized (what with 30 major characters and all), but it doesn't matter since we've had 10 years and 18 movies to become acquainted with them that we're invested in their fates. This movie is all about Thanos, and Josh Brolin runs away with it, guaranteeing he will go down alongside Heath Ledger's The Joker among the most iconic comic book movie villains, although a special shoutout also goes to Zoe Saldana (as well as Tom Holland, who completely nails his final scene). While I can't call this the best of the MCU, it's effective and affecting in a way that most comic book movies in general are not. It's gonna be a long one year wait for the conclusion of this saga. B+

7 hours ago, BK007 said:

For those who say Marvel clearly had no idea how big BP would be, I don't think Black Panther "deserved" a big role in the movie anyway.

His movie is the latest entry and has the least to do with Thanos. It would be ridiculous if he had more than he got. There is absolutely no reason for him to have a greater role in these movies.

As for characters that should have died, you can look to the Captain America films for all of them. Red Skull, Zola, Bucky, Nick Fury all outliving their usefulness. The Thor series has had the most permanent deaths bar Loki, but that is the character anyway, cheating death etc.

Im pretty sure proximity of the movie releases doesn't matter given that captain marvel is opening next march and avengers opens in May, barring some date change. From what we know she'll have much more of a role than BP did in avengers 3 & 4 combined. 

Not saying BP "deserved" to have a big role, his role in this movie was disappointing to BP fans especially since the marketing heavily featured BP and co in the trailers. Its a bit deceptive, especially if bp was your first MCU movie.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 2

On 27/04/2018 at 10:39 AM, Jandrew said:

Also the Gamora fall felt very cheesy with the dissolve transition. NEVER use a dissolve during a dramatic scene, that's what R&B music videos do! 

LMAO that was especially terrible as I was briefly expecting something epic like the Last of the Mohicans fall shot.

9 hours ago, YLF said:

Im pretty sure proximity of the movie releases doesn't matter given that captain marvel is opening next march and avengers opens in May, barring some date change. From what we know she'll have much more of a role than BP did in avengers 3 & 4 combined. 

Not saying BP "deserved" to have a big role, his role in this movie was disappointing to BP fans especially since the marketing heavily featured BP and co in the trailers. Its a bit deceptive, especially if bp was your first MCU movie.

Needless to say, because he was raptured, he'll be safe from the true death that awaits the old guard in Avengers 4.

On 4/27/2018 at 1:09 AM, Jandrew said:

I need death to be impactful, forceful, you feel it in your chest, it pisses you off, makes you sad. Killmonger, Han Solo, Jack Dawson, Marley, Radio Raheem, Gwen Stacy, "Rickyyyy!!!!", Mufasa, Bishop, the crew in Deep Impact, even Batman's "death" in TDKR had that gut wrenching feeling for a whole 5 minutes. ere, everyone...fades into ash. That's it? Seriously?

These deaths were effective for me. The quiet nature of those deaths by fading into ash made them all the more haunting. Noisy deaths would have been more distracting and less impactful.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

The film was pretty meh with about twice as many characters as needed to be in it. The film was also easily 45-60 minutes too long and some of it just seemed repetitive. Worst of all, several cast members seemed like they were bored and were merely completing a contract obligation. Then there was the stupidity with the attempted gauntlet removal scene. Did nobody think to sever his arm? The lack of grief from several characters also defied explanation.

That being said, the humor mostly works. Plus there are a couple of solid performances led by a terrific Tom Holland as Spider-Man. As long as he keeps receiving good scripts, he should play Spider-Man for as long as he wants. Olsen was also decent in her role.

Also, I hated how none of the original Avengers crumbled at the end, well, apart from Nick Fury. None of the deaths really matter though as I am sure there will be a time rewind in the next movie.

6/10

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The lack of grief from several characters also defied explanation.

But they did. Stunned horror to seeing your comrades just crumble to dust seems like a pretty rational emotion to have. Obviously much of the next film is gonna be devoted to following the aftermath of this movie's events.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

But they did. Stunned horror to seeing your comrades just crumble to dust seems like a pretty rational emotion to have. Obviously much of the next film is gonna be devoted to following the aftermath of this movie's events.

Exactly. Nobody cries out “NOOOO!!” in real life to something like that. Most would just become catatonic. Not to mention, when we’re talking about rewinding things in the next movie, it will surely come with some sacrifice. The ones that were left behind in the Rapture are the real ones with bullseyes on their backs.

Edited by Jay Beezy

This was such a Part 1 ass movie. They shoulda kept Part 1 in the title. 

Umm, iono where to start with this tbh. I'm not well. As y'all know, this'll contain spoilers.

Cons: (no spoilers here)

BITCH i'm bout tired as hell with these AVERAGE ASS SCORES! Sis. Save it for movies like Ant-Man (which actually had a really good score) or some solo movie or something. Not for the spectacle films! Same ass thing happened in Civil War. I need the score to JUMP OUT during these battle scenes, sis. Give me some HP shit, or Mockingjay Part 2 shit, hell even Breaking Dawn 2 had a great ass score for their battle! tuh.

I ain't gon fully shit on it though, it did jump out a lil bit when Thor arrived during the Wakanda battle. That was good. But sis I've had enough of this wackness. Give me a build up to something grand. Give me something that enhances the scene other than it just being background music. Marvel needs to hire some new composers. Y'all better hit up JNH or Hans Zimmer or some shit. 

Continuing on that Wakanda battle, it could've used some more epic cuts. Like some Narnia shit lol, or at least that iconic ass thing they did with Age of Ultron when the camera circled around all the heroes as they kicked ass. They could've done that with the scene of Cap and T'Challa together.

Felt a little jumpy in act 2 when it switched from storyline to storyline. That's about it.

Pros:  (all spoilers up in this bitch)

They made Thanos a scary ass bitch. Hoo, sis. Miss Grape had me QUAKING in my seat.

The good sis really dun snapped his fingers. Y'all. jdsknfsjfnkjdsnf Had the whole ass theater shook. Doctor Strange prolly had something else up his sleeve (when he gave away the Time stone) that'll come into effect in Part 2, but for now, sis, the clown came back to bite. 

tumblr_inline_o683pqwekh1tvo1ro_250.gif

That being said, I actually really enjoyed the Wakanda battle. Also, the battle on Titan was pretty amazing too. 

Chris Evans' fine ass is always a plus for me. Sis I cannot wait for that Nomad outfit. Yes, ma'am.

Best characters for me in this was Strange, Cap, Okoye (even though she ain't get too much to do), Scarlet Witch, Miss Widow, and Groot. And Shuri, I can't forget my good sis Shuri.

Thor, Gamora, nd Wong were pretty iconic, too. 

I'm sooo glad that those grey alien bitches got killed in this movie. I just know they would've been annoying as hell if they stayed in the MCU wreaking havoc nd shit. They were too damn powerful, lmao.

Felt something when Gamora died, and T'Challa. And the beginning? Sis, I might not recover from that shit. Not so much for the others, tho. Groot's death was sad but he had already died before so I was kinda unphased. I'm not gon talk about when Pete got snatched. Nnnnnnnn.

End credits scene was really good, like maybe the best one in the MCU. 

Anyways, I'ma give this an 80. (B-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

Nobody cries out “NOOOO!!”

And boy is it fortunate that they don't - at least if the memetic mutation surrounding the Darth Vader "NOOOO!!" from Revenge of the Sith is any indication of what to expect from dramatic reactions in fan-driven films. ;)

Edited by Webslinger