baumer

Avengers Infinity War Part 1 (2018)

Grade it  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Loved it. As a huge lover of the Marvel cosmic stories this was my kryptonite. I don't really have any gripes as i think with the number of characters that were on screen it was juggled extremely well. Probably the only thing i didnt like were the CGI on the black order. At times it reminded me of Steppenwolf level. Banner in the hulkbuster looked bad at times too without the helmet. Thanos though looked amazing. My favourite CG chracter after Gollum now. Sorry Ceasar. 

Thor and Iron Man were the stand out characters here. Thor especially rocked with stormbreaker. His arrival in Wakanda was spectacular. Goosebumps. Though i will miss mjolnir. Loki and heimdall.. :(

This at times reminded me of the Lord of the Rings. So much to story to tell and it tells it coherently. 

One of the few movies where you actually start rooting for the villain...even though i found his reasoning to be pathetic. Would have loved If they did a more loyal adaptation but i'll take it. 

at times the power levels of the stones was inconsistent. Like they are the most powerful things ever, how is Iron Man and Corvus Glaive deflecting those blasts?

Makes me salivate for more cosmic stuff. Celestials (not the Ego kind), Beyonders and if Disney gets Fox then Galactus and Silver Surfer. Oh and the real Phoenix. 

I would say it is up there with Winter Soldier for me. 

A

Edited by Omario
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2018 at 11:44 AM, Goffe said:

Which it is

not.

Dude, not even accounting for whether or not you actively tried to dislike the movie or not (I imagine you really did because its 1st frames have the word "Marvel" in them), you argued about it being a product that is all setup and no pay-off alas a TV series finale..... and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they were going for. Deathly Hallows Part 1 does the exact same thing too: it's all setup, no pay-off for "the final episode". That is a prettier looking movie, sure (but not by much), but apart from that, what exactly sets them so differently from each other? IW is for all intents and purposes a mid-season finale, and as such, it works phenomenally.

Whatever, to each their own, I guess.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 12:00 PM, Omario said:

One of the few movies where you actually start rooting for the villain...even though i found his reasoning to be pathetic. Would have loved If they did a more loyal adaptation but i'll take it. 

at times the power levels of the stones was inconsistent. Like they are the most powerful things ever, how is Iron Man and Corvus Glaive deflecting those blasts?

Makes me salivate for more cosmic stuff. Celestials (not the Ego kind), Beyonders and if Disney gets Fox then Galactus and Silver Surfer. Oh and the real Phoenix. 

So glad they didn’t try to adapt the Thanos loves Death storyline. That worked for the comics, and that whole “Court Death” line was a nice waster egg, but I can’t see that as anything but weird and forced in an already stuffed movie. His love for Gamora, and sacrificing her to accomplish his “burden” is proof enough of his conviction  on his quest to save the universe, however crazed it may have seemed (he is the MAD titan for a reason). Besides as Feige has said, they’re not trying to adapt 616 or any other universe but instead make their own...

did i I miss something (I’ll rewatch this weekend)? When did Corvus glaive deflect his blasts? I’m thinking Iron Man’s mark 50 could’ve taken out Loki in that first invasion solo. What a badass armor he’s made (and earned the respect of Thanos at some time)

real Phoenix and galactus would be nice. Of course the dark Phoenix saga is coming and if Comcast ruins Disney’s plans you can bet a new FF movie will release in 2022 just to keep Constantin’s ridiculous “7 year deal” going.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrSinister said:

So glad they didn’t try to adapt the Thanos loves Death storyline. That worked for the comics, and that whole “Court Death” line was a nice waster egg, but I can’t see that as anything but weird and forced in an already stuffed movie. His love for Gamora, and sacrificing her to accomplish his “burden” is proof enough of his conviction  on his quest to save the universe, however crazed it may have seemed (he is the MAD titan for a reason). Besides as Feige has said, they’re not trying to adapt 616 or any other universe but instead make their own...

did i I miss something (I’ll rewatch this weekend)? When did Corvus glaive deflect his blasts? I’m thinking Iron Man’s mark 50 could’ve taken out Loki in that first invasion solo. What a badass armor he’s made (and earned the respect of Thanos at some time)

real Phoenix and galactus would be nice. Of course the dark Phoenix saga is coming and if Comcast ruins Disney’s plans you can bet a new FF movie will release in 2022 just to keep Constantin’s ridiculous “7 year deal” going.

People keep saying that but i don't see how having Thanos love Lady Death wouldn't work. I think it would open up the universe even more. But anyways i'm fine with the tale they told. Anxious to see what Thanos' actions will be in the next movie. 

Corvus withstood Visions blast at the top of the building. For Iron Man i would have like to see his shield take the blast for a few seconds but then fail because it was up against 4 infinity stones. But small nitpicks. His fight with Thanos was great though. One of the highlights of the movie. been waiting for a his nanite armor to appear. 

News just come out that Disney may forego buying Fox's stake in SKY and concentrate on the tv/movie side of things. They know they will make billions from Xmen and FF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omario said:

People keep saying that but i don't see how having Thanos love Lady Death wouldn't work. I think it would open up the universe even more. But anyways i'm fine with the tale they told. Anxious to see what Thanos' actions will be in the next movie. 

Corvus withstood Visions blast at the top of the building. For Iron Man i would have like to see his shield take the blast for a few seconds but then fail because it was up against 4 infinity stones. But small nitpicks. His fight with Thanos was great though. One of the highlights of the movie. been waiting for a his nanite armor to appear. 

News just come out that Disney may forego buying Fox's stake in SKY and concentrate on the tv/movie side of things. They know they will make billions from Xmen and FF

My issue is partially it would take too long to explain in an already packed movie. What do you take out to incorporate lady death? If it was set up in previous movies how the marvel verse works ok, but the comics can’t play out without something being cut or the movie would’ve run like 4-5 hours.

wasnt thinking about vision but the BO seemed to have a way to negate his abilities like his transmatter ability didn’t work on them.

hope marvel can bring FF at least. That needs to be done right for once. XMen hasn’t been a complete shitshow. X2, First Class, DOFP, Logan were all enjoyable but if marvel can do it better as with Spider-Man then I welcome it.

Quick thoughts:

- My general opinion falls where the MCU films have been for the last few years: when it's in space, it's really fun and exciting but on Earth, I was bored.
- Doctor Strange and Thor were the MVPs character-wise.
- Pratt was (shockingly) the acting MVP.
- It's definitely part 1 of a two-part story, so hard to judge right now.

B

• Like 3

Superhero LORD OF THE RINGS. Its funny but after BLACK PANTHER came out, I felt sorry for IW because I didn't think it could be as good as BP and yet it was. Banner year for the MCU. 

4 and half star out of 5. 

I wish I could have liked it but I didn't... I wanted to because now I don't really want it to break too many records :unsure:

For the first time I liked Thanos - I hated him when I saw him before in other MCUs. Scenes including him were the best in this movie (Especially the returning of Red Skull).

I hated his friends - I felt like some of them were elves from Warcraft. They looked just so bad. I didn't really like most of the CGI.

It was too much in space for me... Those scenes on earth were better, I thought.

C...

Edited by Aristis
  • Like 1

Rewatched this film on blueray... It holds up and it holds up really well..

I think the Russo Brothers really excelled here in that they made a film that delivers some amazing and glorious fan service that brings in storylines from over 15+ films. At the same time, they kept it rather grounded with a simple core storyline and a villain that has a clear motive.

That is why I think this film was able to be such a massive global hit even though it was a sequel to ten years of a Universe coming together.

I do agree that technically that this film has some flaws around the storyline not making sense, but the utter scale that Infinity War displayed was quite astounding to me and the ending was rather unexpected but well exectued.

As a result, to some IW is another typical MCU film but to the MCU fanbase and I think to most people who enjoy Superhero Movies, Infinity Wars is a great achievement for the genre and Thanos joins the list as one of the best Villians in modern blockbuster Cinema since the Joker in TDK.

8.5/10

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Avengers: Infinity War begins the ending of the first decade of Marvel movies in a glorious fashion. It doesn't really stand on its own, and a solid fourth of the movie is dull. The rest of the movie more than makes up for it, delivering awesome setpieces and the character moments that have always made the MCU worth sticking around for. It also surprisingly has a thematic point of contention, a first for the Russos to put in their movies, and although it get muddled at points, it is a clear thorough-line through the movie.

The cast is pretty great, although it's hard to really single out people in such a large ensemble as this. Hemsworth and Cumberbatch are given a lot better material than most of the cast, and Pratt and Saldana are clearly the standouts performance-wise. Thanos is a memorable villain, realized with unbelievably good CGI and an excellent performance by Josh Brolin.

However, most of the film's Earth storyline doesn't work, lacking in stakes simply because we don't have any emotional investment in Vision or Scarlet Witch. The under-use of Captain America and Black Panther rings hollow too, considering how much screentime some other characters get here. This is also clearly a Part 1 movie, one where the opinion on the ending greatly hinges on what we'll get in the next movie.

As it is though, Avengers: Infinity War is a fun movie that gets more joy out of seeing characters meet each other for the first time, and delivering something six years in the making. It's not perfect and lacks a level of intrigue that Marvel's recent better films have had, but it's hard to deny the true event feel of the movie. More than anything, Marvel has pulled off the impossible over the past ten years to varying success, so it's nice that the one with the biggest build-up still is one of the better ones in the overall franchise. B+

• Like 1