• Sunday- July and August
  • Monday- September and October
  • Tuesday- November and December
  • Wednesday- Top 25

Β 

• Like 2

Spark: Homeward

Β 

So sequels tend to go three ways: Better than the first (Dark Knight, Lords of the Rings), Meh (Star Trek, Star Wars (the new ones), Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers), or Complete shit (pretty much any comedy sequel). So how does Spark 2 rank?

Β 

Well its complicated.

Β 

Spark 2 is a likable film. It is hard to hate on a film with so much beauty and life. The characters are all likable, the story is easy to digest, the directing is solid, the score is lovely, and overall the film does what it is suppose to do....continue the Spark story which out damaging the brand/legacy of the first. The film excels at this, but ultimately is clearly suffering from sequelitis. It is less engaging and groundbreaking than the first (before you read me saying, "Hiccup! It is unrealistic for sequels to be more original and revolutionary than the first film!!" I will reply: "Well have you seen The Dark Knight, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Days of Future Past, Spider-Man 2, The Lost World: Jurassic Park?" Yes, it is possible."Β ) Spark definitely doomed it's sequel by setting the bar so f*cking high. The film is long and I did find myself slightly bored in the middle. The film is also predictable and a sequel. Literally, that is all I can really describe this film as: A SEQUEL. But hey, it is visually stunning and competently made. It is serviceable to its fans and general audience despite it being very pedestrian.Β 

Β 

Altogether, Spark: Homeward will be immune to its sequelitis and definitely be successful enough for a third, fourth, and even fifth film (if the studio's vision is that). And as for me.....Β well I'll keep turning out opening day to see the 3rd, 4th, ect films of the Spark Series because I have faith in the story and the first film was just so damn good.Β 

Β 

Spoiler

🍷🍷🍷

Β 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

It's the exact same score that RISE OF LOTOR got, so I'm not too upset with it tbh. So far the reception is matching up pretty squarely.

Β 

But at the same time, what parts about it were really sequel-y? I definitely did try to shake up a lot of parts from the first film.

Β 

EDIT: @Ethan Hunt liked that post....uh oh.Β 

16 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

It's the exact same score that RISE OF LOTOR got, so I'm not too upset with it tbh. So far the reception is matching up pretty squarely.

Β 

But at the same time, what parts about it were really sequel-y? I definitely did try to shake up a lot of parts from the first film.

Β 

EDIT: @Ethan Hunt liked that post....uh oh.Β 

Β 

It was my same issues with Rise of Lotor which I gave the same rating. That is the problem, it isn't a certain part. It was just the whole thing felt underwhelming, expected, and didn't raise the stakes of the story.Β 

Β 

I wouldn't worry, I am probably the odd man out. Hell, I still enjoyed it and have it a positive rating. Definitely not a bad film.Β 

As much as I love to make @Isle of PastaΒ he's on to me so I'll go on to elaborate on why I feel the word sequaly is appropriate. To me Homeward very much feels like a film that is very well aware of how beloved it's predecessor is and feels the need to pull out the stops to try and be just as interesting to a degree that it kinda feels like it's almost piling it on and just not as cohesive...

Β 

But more on that later

• Like 1

Homestar Runner's Cruddy Debut Movie - Idk what the hell I watched. πŸ₯›

Β 

Not Funny - Just so by the book and cliche. It bored me from start to finish πŸ₯›

Β 

Burnout - Thankfully self aware and extremely entertaining, Burnout isn’t a great film but it definitely stands out when compared to the usual January trash. Altogether a fun and enjoyable time at the theater! 🍷🍷🍷

Β 

Chessmen - This is your standard animated January fanfare. Good enough to please the children but it will leave their parents ordering a second drink. 🍷

Β 

Conductive - What a waste of a director and cast. The story is riddled with problems and is a comparable to last year’s Illusiono. Generic, bland, and altogether is rightfully dumped in January. But, I guess it is entertaining enough with the cast who gives some amount of effort🍷1/2

Β 

From Earth to Infinity: An Odyssey Through Space - I enjoyed this very well made documentary. Amy Adam's has a great voice. 🍷🍷🍷

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

As much as I love to make @Isle of PastaΒ he's on to me so I'll go on to elaborate on why I feel the word sequaly is appropriate. To me Homeward very much feels like a film that is very well aware of how beloved it's predecessor is and feels the need to pull out the stops to try and be just as interesting to a degree that it kinda feels like it's almost piling it on and just not as cohesive...

Β 

But more on that later

Hopefully at least a C+, haha.

21 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

Hiccup! It is unrealistic for sequels to be more original and revolutionary than the first film!!" I will reply: "Well have you seen The Dark Knight, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Days of Future Past, Spider-Man 2, The Lost World: Jurassic Park?" Yes, it is possible."Β )

Β 

• Haha 1

February

Β 

My Peoples – My People is a charming and simple story that will warm your heart even though it is a little too generic and predictable. The animation is well done. Also the opening short is sweet! I do love stop motion :)  🍷🍷🍷

Β 

Cupid's Quest - Β Cheap and so β€œmeh” it hurts, Cupid’s Quest does have a talented cast but not even them can save this cheaply made film. πŸ₯›1/2 (represents 0.5/5)

Β 

Father - Bland, soulless, and cliche, Father is a gloomy film that neither tells an interesting story nor lands any scares. It represents the worst in modern horror. πŸ₯›

Β 

Livestream - Β Livestream is a mixed bag. The director and cast do a good job. (I like all of them) but the gimmick with the iPhone doesn’t work. I am sorry, but it just looks so cheap and it is distracting. As for the story, it is interesting and does build tension in the right spots. I have to give the cast credit along with the script writers. The execution however is definitely choppy. Β Ultimately (along with a certain April release ;) ), Livestream would be better suited as an extended Black Mirror episode. 🍷🍷

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

March latter tonight, with maybe April :)Β 

Edited by Hiccup23