CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Hype can get you a 247M OW. Hype cant get you 900M+ DOM. Dont even come with the argument of Christmas legs. TFA had phenomenal legs throughout January and February.

That's part and parcel with the Christmas opening.  

Two weeks of summer like gross combined with two big holidays exactly a week apart(Christmas and New Years), then a traditionally dead January and another holiday and 4 day weekend(MLK), then Valentine's is here and then there's President's Day.

So anything that gets really good WOM is going to coast through these couple of months making really good bank.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

wonder how many of those sales is people buying it for others because they think everyone loved it, rather than loving it themselves.

my theory is truth just wait and see

Well, it IS kinda interesting for the person who regularly pulls the "everyone loved Avatar" card to then turn around and pull a "folks didn't love The Force Awakens after all" card when talking about how they did in the domestic market.  

Just...  Maybe a bit of a bad look iz all I am saying. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

That's part and parcel with the Christmas opening.  

Two weeks of summer like gross combined with two big holidays exactly a week apart(Christmas and New Years), then a traditionally dead January and another holiday and 4 day weekend(MLK), then Valentine's is here and then there's President's Day.

So anything that gets really good WOM is going to coast through these couple of months making really good bank.

Thats certainly true but if TFA had opened in the summer, the summer weekdays would have boosted its gross instead. My point still stands. Only absolutely phenomenal WOM gets you to a gross like 936M. That 3,77 multi is just batshit insane considering the OW.

Just now, Porthos said:

Well, it IS kinda interesting for the person who regularly pulls the "everyone loved Avatar" card to then turn around and pull a "folks didn't love The Force Awakens after all" card when talking about how they did in the domestic market.  

Just...  Maybe a bit of a bad look iz all I am saying. :)

guarantee the GA preferred Avatar to TFA, even in America. TFA rode hype while Avatar made it.

Just now, Brainbug said:

Thats certainly true but if TFA had opened in the summer, the summer weekdays would have boosted its gross instead. My point still stands. Only absolutely phenomenal WOM gets you to a gross like 936M. That 3,77 multi is just batshit insane considering the OW.

I'm not denying that, but if it opened in the summer, it is very likely it would have opened higher and therefore the legs would have been quite a bit smaller, and there would have been way more competition for screens and yadda yadda.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

https://twitter.com/itsjat32/status/990038913707278337

#InfinityWar heading for $105-110mn Friday going by the hourly gross on comScore. Let's see where it settle.

Who is this fella and should I start hitting on him to get these comscore numbers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Yep.  You are a good man Tele.  

Hoping for that 225M at minimum, arent you? ;)

Spoiler

Btw, if it doesnt reach that, pls dont leave this board. I like your posts :)

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

guarantee the GA preferred Avatar to TFA, even in America. TFA rode hype while Avatar made it.

Maybe so, no real way for me to judge. 

Regardless, and this is just me talking, I think any film that does over 650m after its OW was a sign that the GA loved it.

Thankfully this covers BOTH TFA and Avatar, so any further analysis is pretty silly, IMO. 

26 minutes ago, aabattery said:

We bought DepuTele back to help keep the thread in control, but here he is stoking the flames. Trolltastic indeed.

You just have a taste of it. I told y’all he would have gone all out without mod shackle but you guys just have to ruin it for me and everyone 😒

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1