CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

44 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Didn't it only open to $190m? I personally haven't seen anyone go that low.

Yes it did.  And yes people on here have said this movie would basically do AoU numbers total (maybe the same, maybe 100m less).  I don't have the posts bookmarked or anything, but in the past months I know I've seen them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Saturday AM: Industry estimates have Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War at $106.7M

-DHD

I see by their headline they refuse to go out on a limb again this w/e giving that extra 2.7m just a 3 multiplier....

Avengers: Infinity War’ Marching To $245M+ Opening, Second Best-Ever Behind ‘Force Awakens’

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

Again, we'll see.  It's hard to find comps for a movie like this.  The only close comparisons are Civil War (which opened a lot lower) and The Force Awakens (which was more frontloaded)

I’m pretty comfortable throwing any comparisons to Star Wars out the window at the moment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Most theaters are likely just gonna keep Avengers on the same number of screens it's currently on.

That still doesn't solve the case of minuscule holdovers :lol: This is my 12plex's slate right now:

Avengers x4 (with an extra full screen and two partial screens for the weekend)

A Quiet Place

I Feel Pretty

Rampage

Super Troopers 2

Blockers 

Truth or Dare

Ready Player One

Traffik

If Traffik left and RPO/TOD and Blockers/ST2 went split screen, all three openers could fit in with ease. Even theaters with 8-10 screens are probably willing to drop a hold or two.

45 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

I literally just woke up.  But thanks for asking.

Really good number for Infinity War.  Glad to see it go over my expectations since it’s a really good movie.  And hey, at least I was able to call it within $10M.  That’s not that bad.

Yea. Cut our Birthday Boy some slack. I like that when you like the movie you are forthcoming with it and not mince your words because your prediction ran against it.

But then again a lot of it has to do with IW itself being such an epic fantastic enthralling movie that intriguingly impactful even to those doubters.

• Like 1

Wow.

$106.7 million Friday.

$39 million previews

$67.7 million Friday

Projection: $77.2 million Saturday

Projection: $65.1 million Sunday

$249,000,000 million. Disney will not fudge a million, but this one is taking the opening weekend record, IMO.

• Like 1

Well I was super wrong on this weekend huh. Oh well! I forgot to take in to account how wide the appeal is across small towns and among kids. I overplayed my areas I track (where Black Panther IS bigger) to the whole country. Still think anything short of 275 definitely means its finishing under Black Panther though, which is what I really care about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is horrendous for everything that isn't in the top four PTAs. Something has to be opening in 2,000 theaters next weekend; I refuse to believe the highest opener will be in 1,800 theaters when so many holdovers are collapsing.

Watch Disney expand Black Panther back into 2000+ theaters to make the road to 700 easier

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 4

56 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Civil War was not an Avengers movie no matter how much people try to claim that it was. People don't watch Avengers movies to see the heroes battle against each other. It's a sequel to Winter Solider and a Marvel event film but not an Avengers film. If it were it would have been called an Avengers film. 

That and not all of the Avengers are in CW. Only Thor & Hulk are absent in that film.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Well I was super wrong on this weekend huh. Oh well! I forgot to take in to account how wide the appeal is across small towns and among kids. I overplayed my areas I track (where Black Panther IS bigger) to the whole country. Still think anything short of 275 definitely means its finishing under Black Panther though, which is what I really care about.

You forgot or you just chose to ignore? :P

• Like 2