CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Well thankfully it is not unprecedented for a Michael Douglas film seeing as Fatal Attraction adjusts to over 700m. This is entirely the reason I think Ant-Man will do the same. 

That sounds like the most legit reason. 

I concur.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RRA said:

It would be an increase from the previous entry, which won't hurt at all. Hell remember that starting with AVENGERS, the only MCU movie that didn't hit $650 million was Ant-Man. 

I am curious what the ceiling for the MCU will be, because I think we must be nearing it, unless I am wrong haha.

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

@LonePirate

Black Panther also up 4% from last Friday, so it's not just Wrinkle In Time receiving the benefit from double features with Infinity War. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2018-04-27&p=.htm

I think in the case of BP, it’s more a spillover effect, considering how many theaters it still manage to hold on to.

• Like 2

I don't know how long the IW effect will last, but BP looks like it will hit $700 million with this weekend's hold. Then again, its home release date in early May makes me cautious of harsher theater drops coming up.

*wakes up*

*idly wonders if IW hit 107*

*sees headline referencing EC's post made after I went to bed*

*chuckles to self*

*sees updated OW projection*

*snorts*

It's Black Panther all over again, folks (at least when it comes to underestimation).

Not going to say "I told you so" coz I didn't.  Will say I said it was a possibility, coz I did.  :lol:

Have to think it's more likely than not now the OW record falls.  Be a close thing, either way. Should be exiciting to watch as it unfolds. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

I don't know how long the IW effect will last, but BP looks like it will hit $700 million with this weekend's hold. Then again, its home release date in early May makes me cautious of harsher theater drops coming up.

Not sure about $700m, but $695m seems like a very good chance for Panther. That would be a 3.44 multiplier, insane for a superhero movie after $202m opening. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NoLegMan said:

I am curious what the ceiling for the MCU will be, because I think we must be nearing it, unless I am wrong haha.

Jesus I remember the days when Cap 1 not even clearing 400 million was considered acceptable. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

In my showing, I can barely see a girl in the crowd. Same goes too another round of showing....I guess girls are still waiting for TWILIGHT.....

Any demography data for this mega-opener? 

At the showings I went in Athens  there was a ton of girls and really into it. I was really surprised by that.

49 minutes ago, bladels said:

$105.9M is Disney's estimate

$106.7M is industry's estimate

Disney probably moved some to A Winkle in Time

20 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Insert fudge.jpeg

Sources tell me that it was actually $106.9m, but Disney decided to stage an intervention on @aabattery's behalf and try to cure him of his addiction to the Nice Number.

Damned decent of Disney to try to do that, though I fear the patient is too far gone at this stage. :sadno:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

At the showings I went in Athens  there was a ton of girls and really into it. I was really surprised by that.

Always a danger when one goes Pauline Kael. Reality might prove you wrong hard.