CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

15 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

It would also keep with the tradition of superhero movies breaking each 50M multiple barrier for OW:

Batman '89 was the first to have a >50M OW

Spider-Man for >100M

TDK for >150M

TA for >200M

And now hopefully IW for >250M

Batman 89 was around 40M if I am not mistaken. Then Batman Returns (1992) broke its record, and then Batman Forever (1995) broke it yet again, and I think that it was Batman Forever that was the first movie to open over 50M. In between Returns & Forever, there was Jurassic Park with around 47M. 

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Batman 89 was around 40M if I am not mistaken. Then Batman Returns (1992) broke its record, and then Batman Forever (1995) broke it yet again, and I think that it was Batman Forever that was the first movie to open over 50M. In between Returns & Forever, there was Jurassic Park with around 47M. 

Yup, Batman Forever was the first movie to break $50 million for its domestic opening per BOM. But... Jurassic Park was just over $50 million with Thursday preview figures factored in two years earlier, as they would be now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

I think Captain Marvel is gonna get the boost from IW rather than AM, or atleast a bigger boost. People already know and have seen AM and unless it somehow ties into IW directly then it wouldn’t receive much of a boost. CM on the other hand s new, and the first MCU female SH and if it ties into all the IW shenanigans then people will flock to it to get some idea about what is going on. 

I already feel like 300m is locked domestically for Captain Marvel.  I thought releasing their films so close together might hurt one or the other originally but BP/IW has put that to rest. Captain Marvel is going to explode.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alaska box said:

Hey where is the #notarecord dude? I just don't understand why it may go over 80 and still be sure it won't beat the OW record..

#notarecord is a joke about former Deadline head Nikke Finke declaring that Avengers opening day was NOT A RECORD - right before it proceeded to become a record.  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, eddyxx said:

I already feel like 300m is locked domestically for Captain Marvel.  I thought releasing their films so close together might hurt one or the other originally but BP/IW has put that to rest. Captain Marvel is going to explode.

After today's set pics I'm locking in 400M for Capt M

It's LOCKED

23 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's really no coincidence that Infinity War is opening as big it is. It's the culmination of several well-received films from a cinematic universe that has proven to be overall consistent in quality. It's quite remarkable and extremely impressive. Marvel built-up the trust of moviegoers everywhere, and they're being rewarded for it. 

imo apart from Thanos (brilliantly executed in the promos), Gotg appearing in a TA movie could be the biggest selling point. Haven't seen the movie but gonna see it for those 2 reasons mostly. Gotg2 did nearly 400 dom last year after all.

• Like 2

Just now, Mekanos said:

Marvel will be big. People are sleeping on it. 700M WW easy.

Who's sleeping on it? Pretty much everyone predicting big things

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alaska box said:

Hey where is the #notarecord dude? I just don't understand why it may go over 80 and still be sure it won't beat the OW record..

We're assuming that its Sunday drop will be in line with the other two Avengers films, which had unusually light Sunday drops. Luckily, we also have other record-breakers Jurassic World and The Force Awakens to point toward as weekend records that held remarkably well on their opening Sundays.

What I'll be interested in is whether Disney releases an estimate that places Infinity War over Force Awakens's weekend, or whether they take a page from Universal's Jurassic World playbook and lowball it tomorrow so that articles don't note that the weekend record wasn't actually broken on Monday just in case it falls short.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Who? Where?

Mate I don't have a list of people with bad predictions. I've seen lowballing of it both on here and other box office sites. Usually saying that Wonder Woman stole the thunder of being the first big female superhero movie.