CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

7 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

So the question is will the record be broken again next year with Avengers 4 (before TLK of course)?

I don't doubt TLK will be a monster in terms of gross, but it doesn't strike me as a film that would be previews heavy enough or have the fan rush to challenge the OW record. For now, I'm thinking a modest increase from BatB OW and better legs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Nah man, it's been months and people are still going on about TLJ. I do not think it will be forgotten by then and I see the controversy starting right back up when the first teaser drops.

Understood.

However, and I preface this by saying I am NOT, I repeat NOT, predicting this, if Solo does more than 450m DOM this summer, I think all bets are off when it comes to SW and the DOM box office.

I personally think the chances are less than 10% that Solo can do that.  Maybe less than 5%.

But if it does...

Well.  Not sayin', but perhaps possibly sayin'.

Just now, KP1025 said:

I don't doubt TLK will be a monster in terms of gross, but it doesn't strike me as a film that would be previews heavy enough or have the fan rush to challenge the OW record. For now, I'm thinking a modest increase from BatB OW and better legs.

Agreed. It’s going to have a monster opening weekend, probably $200 million and a 3.0-3.5x multiplier but I don’t see it challenging the OW record. 

• Like 1

Probably want to sum up my SW DOM box office thoughts this way:  Sometimes folks on this forum are just too damn knee-jerk reactionary. Both negatively and positively.  And, yes, I include myself in this.

I think we're still being a little too reactionary right now to TLJ's run.  That more than anything is what is tempting me to make that club I mentioned on the last page. :)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Understood.

However, and I preface this by saying I am NOT, I repeat NOT, predicting this, if Solo does more than 450m DOM this summer, I think all bets are off when it comes to SW and the DOM box office.

I personally think the chances are less than 10% that Solo can do that.  Maybe less than 5%.

But if it does...

Well.  Not sayin', but perhaps possibly sayin'.

But Solo is the OT characters again. There is more story to tell and that is likely to draw fans of Rogue One over TFA. TLJ felt like a close out and I just don't see it increasing. I've said it since December.

A lot of people have sworn not to care anymore and they can guess where it's headed. Who knows. All could change with that first trailer but they are going to need to find a way to give Luke a heavy role again. Rey and Kylo won't carry it above TLJ.

If they do some sort of time skip, that could be the trick but I don't see the interest and hype getting anywhere near IW or Avengers 4.

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

It'll be a monster but I see that doing around what Black Panther did. I imagine there will be a lot of articles about the cast leading up to it.

From several hours ago over in Brazil OWe, Amazing

@Fullbuster be having 6 kittens

Sunday could crash and burn and it wouldn't matter, $r,$us, admits

5 hours ago, Rthanos said:

Image result for view of earth from the moon

Lovely view from up here

Forget all you have known and all that has come before

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 5

81.3 (being a little pessimistic here)  

61 (-25%, Still pessimistic)   

Is still 249 and a new record. Use Disney’s OD figure, the lower end Sat, and the moderate drop and it’s still above TFA with 248.3.     

Better chance now to go over 250 than under TFA, it seems.

Astonished. It’s happening. 

The holy grail of records is being broken today....

Let us take a moment to remember what a game changer TFA’s opening was. Changed the rules.

It’s taken two and a half years, and six infinity stones to take it down. Thanos is here. 

“Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives”

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Probably want to sum up my SW DOM box office thoughts this way:  Sometimes folks on this forum are just too damn knee-jerk reactionary. Both negatively and positively.  And, yes, I include myself in this.

Not basing my thoughts on just this forum. I like TLJ but it's a movie that is a headache to discuss due to the strong feelings attached to it. A lot of people avoided going into videos about it because it wasn't worth it anymore. Many commented on that.

It definitely has it's fans (and I really enjoyed it despite it's flaws) but it's not something that was universally loved which is why I see 9 dropping from TLJ and TFA

But again, if a time skip is involved and Luke is featured heavily in the marketing....who knows.

Edited by somebody85

2 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

It worked! This site isn't loading through a quite a few DNS servers. Set my router to use OpenDNS and it worked!

https://dnschecker.org/#A/forums.boxofficetheory.com

Nice link... I've bookmarked it.

The site is forwarded through my server and the host is doing datacenter work tonight.  It should not have affected the forums but I wonder if some of their server reboots have caused some DNS servers dump their caches.  

OTOH... it's not unusual for the Inversion servers to crap out occasionally on big Boxoffice nights.  We get 100s of people hanging around waiting for numbers.

• Like 1