CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

WOOOOOOOO

I must say this : for me , that IW breaking the OW record is so special. Much special  than TFA was.  When TFA opened to $57M on Thursday night , we all already know that it will take the OW record by a large margin.

But IW doing it with a great $39M previews but still much less that TFA which create all the doom and gloom in this forum coupled that with low opening Friday prediction from Deadline and others ( $225M OW could be in danger) . But since then , Our gods bless us with their numbers and it keeps going higher for OD ( breaking true Friday record ) and now breaking Sat record by a wide margin. This reminds me of that out of nowhere Record breaking OW by JW but in much bigger and larger scale.

And now I just waiting for That 'Congratulations' post from Star Wars division ;)

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

That Jurassic World weekend was nuts. The ceiling just kept on going up and up and up until the point where it seemed comically obvious that the not-a-record weekend estimate was several million dollars too low. And unlike even The Avengers - which had BOM on record predicting a record-breaking performance (though they were still way off) - no one saw that record coming heading into the weekend.

Definitely one for the books. I remember the estimates kept increasing with each update until it reached that point that no one on here predicted except Excel....it was Excel right? I think so.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Claudio said:

WOOOOOOOO

I must say this : for me , that IW breaking the OW record is so special. Much special  than TFA was.  When TFA opened to $57M on Thursday night , we all already know that it will take the OW record by a large margin.

But IW doing it with a great $39M previews but still much less that TFA which create all the doom and gloom in this forum coupled that with low opening Friday prediction from Deadline and others ( $225M OW could be in danger) . But since then , Our gods bless us with their numbers and it keeps going higher for OD ( breaking true Friday record ) and now breaking Sat record by a wide margin. This reminds me of that out of nowhere Record breaking OW by JW but in much bigger and larger scale.

And now I just waiting for That 'Congratulations' post from Star Wars division ;)

IW numbers are mighty impressive, but let me remind you that TFA broke the record by a huge margin in freaking DECEMBER, the weekend before Christmas.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Definitely one for the books. I remember the estimates kept increasing with each update until it reached that point that no one on here predicted except Excel....it was Excel right? I think so.

I'm not entirely sure about what he had to say here, but I remember him banging the Jurassic World drum pretty damn loudly at KJ.

I just remember shifting my mental perspective on seeing the film opening day from "Oh yeah, I'll just go to the 7:00 IMAX and leave super-early" to "Holy shit, I'd better get it together and make it to the 4:00" that morning, and then just barely making it into said 4:00 screening (it was reserved seating and there were at most 30 seats left) when I showed up about two hours ahead of showtime. And even then, I thought it was "only" on track for something in the 180-190 range.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BK007 said:

If Disney were really ballsy, or if Lucasfilm was, then they would not have needed to get the original cast back and remake the original trilogy with these dumb films. As it stands, they invalidate the original trilogy and not for any good reason. 

I'm not a SW fan, so couldn't care less, but I'm amazed that fanboys lap up what amounts to pandering and sacrilege at the same time. 

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. TLJ is my favorite episode. They took the best parts of SW and added a dash of Marvel. I don't see how SW9 can top it. People didn't like Empire Strikes Back at first either as you can see with its drop in box office. Ep4 (307m) > Ep5 (209m) > Ep6 (252m) for original runs.

What are the odds of BP hitting 700m? I'm thinking unlikely considering "Digital copies will be available from May 8, with Blu-ray and DVD releases on May 15."

Last day you guys will be able to see $69M as the Saturday record

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Single Day Gross Theaters Average Date / Days in Release Gross to Date* Final Gross*
1 Jurassic World Uni. $69,644,830 4,274 $16,295 6/13/15 2 $151.6 $652.3
2 Marvel's The Avengers BV $69,557,990 4,349 $15,994 5/05/12 2 $150.4 $623.4
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $68,294,204 4,134 $16,520 12/19/15 2 $187.4 $936.7
4 Black Panther BV $65,995,366 4,020 $16,417 2/17/18 2 $141.9 $684.9
5 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $63,993,205 4,232 $15,121 12/16/17 2 $168.7 $620.2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

This will be pushing 500M domestic by end of next weekend and I'll say again - TFA domestic total is not safe, and the number of people realizing that will increase as the weeks pass.  I'm not saying it's at all likely to pass it, but most people think it'd laughable right now - and that will change 

lol IW is not gonna have a 3,5+ multiplier in May even if it's the event to end all events. Star Wars had 2 full weeks of holidays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Man, this sucks. I never expected IW to come anywhere near TFA. At least SW will keep its DOM record...

If it does get it, it's deserved though. This was 10 years of buildup and planning. 

All TFA had to do was ride off the nostalgia of the original story and cast returning. And that hype was truly insane and awesome to be a part of but I mean, so was this.

I don't see IW getting close to TFA DOM if it does break the OW record though. There's too much competition from big franchises.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I'm not entirely sure about what he had to say here, but I remember him banging the Jurassic World drum pretty damn loudly at KJ.

I just remember shifting my mental perspective on seeing the film opening day from "Oh yeah, I'll just go to the 7:00 IMAX and leave super-early" to "Holy shit, I'd better get it together and make it to the 4:00" that morning, and then just barely making it into said 4:00 screening (it was reserved seating and there were at most 30 seats left) when I showed up about two hours ahead of showtime. And even then, I thought it was "only" on track for something in the 180-190 range.

Yeah it might have been KJ if that was a user! I thought it was excel though and damn did he brag afterwards lol

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Please don't mention Avatar;You Know Who will show up.

I am  convinced that the Avatar killer will be a film that no one will give a chance of doing it.

yeah no one on this site will give Avatar 2 a chance of doing it so it checks out

11 minutes ago, BoilingHotCoffee said:

Last day you guys will be able to see $69M as the Saturday record

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Single Day Gross Theaters Average Date / Days in Release Gross to Date* Final Gross*
1 Jurassic World Uni. $69,644,830 4,274 $16,295 6/13/15 2 $151.6 $652.3
2 Marvel's The Avengers BV $69,557,990 4,349 $15,994 5/05/12 2 $150.4 $623.4
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $68,294,204 4,134 $16,520 12/19/15 2 $187.4 $936.7
4 Black Panther BV $65,995,366 4,020 $16,417 2/17/18 2 $141.9 $684.9
5 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $63,993,205 4,232 $15,121 12/16/17 2 $168.7 $620.2

This chart looks so hilarious now. That “cap” was a quirk of fate and it got completely hammered.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

What are the odds of BP hitting 700m? I'm thinking unlikely considering "Digital copies will be available from May 8, with Blu-ray and DVD releases on May 15."

BP will be at $688 million after this weekend (basically flat from previous weekend). It seems very likely to pass $700 million unless it loses the majority of theaters in the next few weeks.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

yeah no one on this site will give Avatar 2 a chance of doing it so it checks out

Avatar has no chance of going this high. Marvel and Star Wars are different beasts. Avatar will be a legs thing again if it blows up. It's not a nostalgia thing like The Lion King or Jurassic World.

Terminator 6 with Linda Hamilton coming back as Sarah Conner has a higher chance at the OW record in America than Avatar 2. That's nostalgia again and people love that character.

• Like 1