CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Damn, insane numbers from IW. But on the topic of SW9 I think you guys are really low balling it’s potential.

I'm just waiting to see what the hook will be. That will determine it's opening weekend. I liked the film but a lot of people (the non racist and sexiest people) were pissed off.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Avatar has no chance of going this high. Marvel and Star Wars are different beasts. Avatar will be a legs thing again if it blows up. It's not a nostalgia thing like The Lion King or Jurassic World.

Terminator 6 with Linda Hamilton coming back as Sarah Conner has a higher chance at the OW record in America than Avatar 2. That's nostalgia again and people love that character.

I thought we were talking about World Wide total, my bad if we weren't

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Damn, insane numbers from IW. But on the topic of SW9 I think you guys are really low balling it’s potential.

I don't think it will do badly man. But I don't see it opening as high as TLJ unless Luke comes back and is a huge part of the marketing. A lightsaber type war in the future would be cool...but the OT characters is what has mainly drawn audiences to those movies.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

#1 records in terms of Holy Grailness:  

Avatar WW 2.8B :ohmygod:   :ohmygod:

TFA DOM 935M  :ohmygod:  

TFA DOM OW 248M.  Was always going to be the first to fall, imo. Waited less than 2.5 years, but Avatar will wait for over a decade and TFA’s DOM total seems equally unassailable in the near future.

Does anyone else think Avatar's record could get beat by a Chinese film some day ? Like if it had some worldwide appeal? Didn't they have a film do 500m in China alone last year:ohmygod:

I just checked. It did over 800m. Holy crap lol.

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

No it won't. We're not in July, nor is this a holiday weekend.

Yes. Some (many) might be seeing it this weekend knowing they don't have the ability to see it during the week, thus possibly goosing its weekend gross above what it might have been mid-summer or over Christmas - an advantage for AIW over say TFA or JW

Edited by SteveJaros

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Does anyone else think Avatar's record could get beat by a Chinese film some day ? Like if it had some worldwide appeal? Didn't they have a film do 500m in China alone last year:ohmygod:

sure... I mean a Marvel film could probably do it in 20 years through inflation alone

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Fun fact: The Russos' production company consulted on that movie 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinese-film-fund-bets-100m-hollywood-directors-fraught-us-relations-1032938

The historic success of Chinese blockbuster Wolf Warrior II, still in release, will probably only hasten that transition. Produced for just $30 million, the patriotic action flick has earned an astonishing $810 million in China since its opening on July 27. Written, directed by and starring Wu Jing, the proudly Chinese film is undeniably a local success, but traces of the U.S. industry's fingerprints can also be found on it. Marvel mainstays Joe and Anthony Russo consulted on the film via their Chinese studio venture Anthem & Song, which has a strategic partnership with Beijing Culture Media, the project's lead local producer. The Russos arranged for their usual stunt team, led by veteran stunt coordinator Sam Hargrave (The Avengers, Suicide Squad, The Hunger Games), to join the project and elevate its action. And it was precisely this combination — patriotic Chinese themes, dressed up convincingly in Hollywood productions values — that many regard as the blockbuster's winning formula.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I'd say it's extremely unlikely given the cultural differences. What China finds appealing in their local films would probably not be reciprocated by an international audience. Those local mega-blockbusters still make over 99% of their gross in China alone even with a foreign release and good publicity (as Wolf Warriors 2 got when it was shattering records). That said, we will have films that gross $1 billion or more in China very soon. 

4 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

SW9 will increase from TLJ, but might not reach TFA levels. So far this SW trilogy has followed the pattern of the other 2 almost exactly, no reason to think the last movie wont.

The problem is TLJ didn't end on a huge cliffhanger like ESB. I don't know if Rey, Kylo, Finn and Poe are enough to draw an opening over a story that reunited audiences with Luke Skywalker. If he or Anakin or something like that is revealed in the marketing in like a fight scene or something...then yes it easily could but as loved as they are by many, I don't see the new crew being able to pull an OW like that without the main OT characters.

TLJ was also obviously Carrie Fishers last film. 9 won't have that. And going to the prequels - the finale was Anakin finally becoming Darth Vader. 9 won't have that.

• Like 1

Was 18 hours offline.

Holy fucking shit. Im stunned. I was hoping to see the first ever 70M Sathurday and then Thanos doesnt care about that number at all and just stomps right to the 80s.

Count me in the doubtercamp who was sure that TFA woundt be beaten by this. I am happily eating crow now. It helps that i love the movie as well :).

• Like 1